Heaven Sword And Dragon Sabre (uuugghh!!)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Watched this for the first time last nite. (Well, tried to watch it but found myself falling asleep every 10 min or so.) This has to be close to the worst Shaw film I have seen. Man what a complete cluster f*%k of a film. 50 different characters with about 20 different storylines and zero character deveolpment. Film felt rushed and sloppliy slapped together by Chu Yuan. The sets for the most part where cool, and the action varied from decent to slightly above average. I have ZERO desire to watch the second half of this stinker.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Stage6?

I liked it, watched Kung Fu Cult Hero just previous, so had a head start on this one - was intrigued to see the story and characters handled differently... I guess as an adaption many target audience already knew who was coming up and what they were in for from the literature previous?

Most of the time, I can take these more-convoluted sort of wuxia adaptations vignette style - following certain storylines, glossing over when it gets a bit muddled till the next linear developments.

To be completely honest, if a flick has a monkey leading a man to hidden martial manuals, it's already halfway there in my book.

Guest italdesign

I think Chu Yuan does a better job with his Gu Long adaptions than his Jin Yong adaptions. Gu Long stories are full of mystery and eccentricity.

Guest rindge

I am a fan of these 2 flicks. Typical plot - lots of characters, sub plots, etc, but I am still drawn to it - maybe it was the power of the dragon sabre :-)

Guest NinjaForce

Yo GwaiLoMoFo, I know that Chu Yuan films are somewhat of a acquired taste, and not everyone likes them, but there is one comment you made which I just have to respond to due to the memories it brought back and that’s the idea that it’s “close to the worst Shaw film I have seenâ€. Maybe it is, I was just wondering if you have ever seen a Shaws film called Journey of the Doomed, Because I can tell you that is the worst Shaws film ( IMO ) I have ever seen, it’s sooo bad it doesn’t even feel like a Shaws film. If Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre is meant to be next in line to JOTD in the shockingly bad stakes, then there is still a mile of distance between the two. There are Shaws films that people don’t like for one reason or other and then there is JOTD, shocking!!! And all the more so because it featured a pretty good cast including Hui Ying Hung. Infact JOTD is soo bad in the past I have actually recommended people watch it just to experience it’s singularly unparalleled levels of awfulness

As for Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre I actually like the series, but I’am never surprised when people say they don’t like them or other Chu Yuan films. I suppose because I know before hand that it’s an adaptation of a novel I view it differently, I know that there are going to be a lot of characters and sub plots going on and that the original audience would expect to see most of the more popular characters make an appearance even if it’s only incidental. I think as a result I view and enjoy them as almost a different kind of martial animal. :)

Guest Steve Barr

If you don't like Chu Yuan films, please try to find the ones you have a good home. FWIW, HSDS 1&2 are much better than The Hidden Power of Dragon Sabre.

JOTD - Awful, but for worst SB film how about The Generation Gap? Sure, in JOTD, the wrong women get undressed, but that's the way it always worked in the SB universe. And I don't recall any painful singing in English in JOTD.

Guest peringaten

I LOVE Hidden Power Of Dragon Sabre; probably in my top ten Shaw flicks. For my tastes, far superior to most of the rest Chor Yuan's cannon - way beyond Heaven Sword &... for one.

Funny enough, I also liked JOTD - however whilst I recognise JOTD's many failings, I can't acknowledge such similarly and individually for Hidden Power as are often stated - too deliriously good for my tastes not to find it wondrous.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I consider myself somewhat of a veteran of Chu Yuan films (seen quite a few). I really enjoyed his Magic Blade, Killer Clans, Clans Of Intrigue, Death Duel (especially!), Proud Twins, The Bastard, ect... And I know what to expect going into his swordplay films based on Chinese novels. All of his films based on novels contain alot of the same elements. I just really didnt like this movie at all. Just seemed rushed and poorly put together.

Guest Feng Gang

I'm kind of 50/50 on these 2 movies. The story is kinda lame and the action is TOO generic but I really like the presentation. There's some beautiful sets involved too. Some of the characters are cool and many others are... not so much. I liked the above mentioned films much better ESPECIALLY Death Duel.

I probably should've did a search for a review of this film. I saw it yesterday and found it really dragging on at parts, with a weak ending to boot.

Thanks for tbe heads up, I'll make sure I avoido Heaven Swords, Dragon Sabers, or I'll be on a journey of the doomed. Killer clans, Magic Blade, Death Duel are great, everything else is pushing it.

Thanks for tbe heads up, I'll make sure I avoido Heaven Swords, Dragon Sabers, or I'll be on a journey of the doomed. Killer clans, Magic Blade, Death Duel are great, everything else is pushing it.
I have thai doublepack of HSDS but not yet watched it.Same case with Magic Blade.

Have you seen Jade Tiger?I think it`s bit superior to KC and DD.

I LOVE Hidden Power Of Dragon Sabre; probably in my top ten Shaw flicks. For my tastes, far superior to most of the rest Chor Yuan's cannon - way beyond Heaven Sword &... for one.

When I picked up Heaven Sword And Dragon Sabre I was thinking Hidden Power... and was pretty letdown, might have to watch it again going into it on a different level.

Blood Sword if u haven't watched Magic Blade definitely check it out, I haven't seen Jade Tiger, I opted to not buy anymore Chor after Swordsman/Enchantress and Pursuit of Vengeance, I've had enough..

I haven't seen Jade Tiger, I opted to not buy anymore Chor after Swordsman/Enchantress and Pursuit of Vengeance, I've had enough..

Ok,I see your point.Jade Tiger anyway is more down-to-earth than some other CY films.It`s quite dark film.

Ti Lung and Shih Szu are great and is vengeance wise thing is discussed in that more deeply than in shao-lin films...

FYI, for fans of SB-style wuxia adaptations, The 1986 TV series New Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre is extremely enjoyable. There's Simon Yam and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, a number of other recognizable HK actors, and some cute supporting female actresses. There are plenty of fights, almost all performed by doubles, so the moves are clean and crisp.

There's a box set available with English subs. I'm halfway through it and feel like I've come across 40 additional hours of 80's Shaw Brothers wuxia. The 80's weren't the best decade for SB wuxia, but still.

Eastern Evil

I tried watching this a year ago. and it was tough to watch. After I watched just about all the Chor Yeun/Gu Long I could get, I went back & appreciate it more. I wonder if this Jin Yong work would have been better if Chang Cheh did it like Brave Archer? I really like them, despite most opinions....

Archived