Charles Chan - Fighting style

DrNgor

Question

Does anyone know what kung style Charles Chan--Jackie Chan's father--practiced? I know it was good enough to make him a General's guard and then a secret agent during the Second Sino-Japanese War.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• DrNgor

• legendarycurry

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

legendarycurry
6 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Does anyone know what kung style Charles Chan--Jackie Chan's father--practiced? I know it was good enough to make him a General's guard and then a secret agent during the Second Sino-Japanese War.

Perhaps he was proficient with weapons above all else, i.e firearms?. I imagine that at such a time in history shooting had long since been the way of the battlefield for generals. However the following article (which comes with a bibliography for its various claims)  sheds some light on the combat training of the period that Charles Chan was active.  https://zhongguowuxue.com/2017/12/27/chinese-communist-forces-training-during-the-civil-war-and-the-war-of-resistance-against-japanese-invasion/

1 hour ago, legendarycurry said:

Perhaps he was proficient with weapons above all else, i.e firearms?. I imagine that at such a time in history shooting had long since been the way of the battlefield for generals.

From the Wikipedia entry on Charles and Lee-Lee Chan:

According to Charles' father, he still needed discipline when Charles returned to Nanjing at the age of 20. His grandfather was a good friend of Chinese National Revolutionary Army General Ku Chu-tung (Gu Zhutong, Chinese: 顧祝同) and after displaying his martial arts skills, Charles became General Gu's orderly which was similar to being a personal guard according to Charles. General Gu later became Chief of Staff to General Chiang Kai-shek.

General Gu had many armed guards and Charles was also given a rifle of his own. He lost his job as an orderly when he accidentally pulled the trigger of his automatic rifle which startled him causing him to drop it. The rifle continued to fire rounds as it spun on the ground.

legendarycurry
22 hours ago, DrNgor said:

From the Wikipedia entry on Charles and Lee-Lee Chan:

oh I see. I thought he had no formal training before joining the army and such. interesting.  The article suggest that perhaps rifles was the exact opposite of what he was proficient in :)