Movies that display genuine martial arts with martial artists in the cast:

CipherPol

CipherPol

I've been a fan of kung fu movies since the 80's and I can't tell you how many I've seen. The ones I love the most are those which display legit martial arts and not a mixed bag for effect I pay attention. These are a few movies that I will always remember that stand out among the rest: 

Pride's Deadly Fury (1983): One of the few movies I've seen that shows Baguazhang and the actress was on the Beijing wushu team became a national champion of Baguazhang!! The movie is about the legend of Dongfang Xu. I know some people in Taiwan who practice this martial art and speak highly of the film.

Undaunted Wudang (1983): A long standing national wushu champion tuned actor by the name of Zhao Changjun who only rival was Jet Li put on a wonderful performance in this film. A classic wushu film which is not well known but appreciated by real kung fu fans and collectors alike. 

South Shaolin Master (1984): A wushu masterpiece that has an entire team of wushu students playing various roles. The choreography was amazing, they were really showing off their skills. I can't say the plot was the most unique but still a classic!

Can anyone add to this list? I'd love to find more of these types of films!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Japanese Judo films were pretty accurate- Judo for Life, etc.

I trained in Wu Shu and it's moves are highly exaggerated. Most of the stuff they do is from the 20th Century. Honestly you can watch some of the old Wong Fei Hung movies to see what "real" Hung Gar would look like. Most of what we see is really a mix of everything- Tae Kwon Do, Northern Shaolin, Karate, etc. I trained with coaches like Eric Chen and Phillip Wong, and they said that the showed the coaches in China how to put more hip into their side kicks, etc.

Styles like Southern Eagle claw are just made up for the screen, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1