The mysterious English dubs in Indonesia.

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon
Posted (edited)

I originally thought about making this post for the Dubbing information and discussion thread, but still, I thought it's a fascinating topic that would probably be very overlooked in that rather overwhelming thread.

So anyway here's the gist of what I know, mostly from reading/listening to interviews with dubbing voice actors. There was some sort of ban for Chinese languages in Indonesia, so Chinese language TV series like those from ATV and TVB were dubbed into English, so they could get exported to Indonesia. I think then Indonesian subtitles were put on them in Indonesia.

It's difficult to know how many there were as they don't seem to have left Indonesia, but still it seems like there were hundreds of recordings.

From the interview with Simon Broad on the Eureka's BD of Wild Search, I get the impression that the bulk of his early dubbing career was ATV and TVB shows. And he says they dubbed around 3-5 episodes a day (for years).

There is actually a few clips of these English dubs uploaded to Youtube by a user called Sanggar Cerita https://www.youtube.com/@sanggarcerita/videos

Perhaps most surprisingly here's a Japanese series called Oshin, that sounds like it was dubbed into English by one of the Hong Kong dubbing groups.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 2