Does the type of necklace in The Big Boss, have cultural significance?

Omni Dragon

I'm assuming it must, but still I don't think I've personally ever seen it discussed anywhere before.

Edited by Omni Dragon

6d6e8c15084d4c2a9637421a3050c4bd.jpg

I'm not an expert but I think it's a Jade necklace which going by googles means:

"Jade symbolism includes associations with nobility and wealth. Many consider it a protector of generations, living and dead. Jade has been and always will be the "Gem Supreme" and the "Jewel of Heaven," stone of the heart."

• Like 2

I always figured it just belong to his mom and she gave it to him so he would remember his promise not to fight anymore. I’m not sure if there is a deeper meaning to it than that.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I always figured it just belong to his mom and she gave it to him so he would remember his promise not to fight anymore. I’m not sure if there is a deeper meaning to it than that.

That was my impression too.however he punches 2 thugs before jade gets broken🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

He was just having a stretch. Not his fault someone's face happened to connect with his fist at time of said stretch. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

He was just having a stretch. Not his fault someone's face happened to connect with his fist at time of said stretch. :P

Lol😆

I think it might be a Bi jade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi_(jade)

Not to sure about this video, made by people selling jewelry, but still I thought I'd include it anyway:

Bi jades seem to be mostly associated with the sky/heaven. That could be why Chow Yun Fat's character wears one in Wild Search, as it belonged to his deceased wife in the story.

23 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Yes, I think that's mostly all its meaning within the context of The Big Boss, though I noticed on wikipedia it says 'Jade, like bi disks, has been used throughout Chinese history to indicate an individual of moral quality' maybe that 'moral quality' is why it was picked by the filmmakers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Well, I think he was just having a very hard time keeping his promise. Which means he must have been a hellraiser back home. 

4 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Yes, I think that's mostly all its meaning within the context of The Big Boss, though I noticed on wikipedia it says 'Jade, like bi disks, has been used throughout Chinese history to indicate an individual of moral quality' maybe that 'moral quality' is why it was picked by the filmmakers.

It could be that an "Individual of Moral Quality" is what his mom wanted him to be. Maybe he was in a gang or something, and she wanted him to get back on the right path. So, she gave him the necklace and asked him to swear on it to change his ways. Once it broke, he was no longer bond to his promise. 

• Like 3

So Cheng Chao-ans mum was like - 'Now listen here Cheng NO FIGHTING! and I mean NO FIGHTING! Get your fill of those Thai hoes and all that but NO FIGHTING! Ya hear!'

• Haha 2