U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Yup, all the Image discs I've had up to this point were on point.

Especially dig their treatment of their Spaghetti Western releases.

I'm just NOT feeling that Black Magic cover.

So is it set in stone? That's the one that we're gonna see tomorrow?

Yeah but I would blame Celestial for that as Image had to have there approval for everything and Linn indicated that Celestial nixed some really cool ideas.

Image wanted to use the best original poster art (using lobby cards or posters from around the world as sources) on these releases, but Celestial wouldn't let them. Like every distributor putting out films owned by a large company, Image has to submit stuff to Celestial for aproval. Ditto for HKL, Fox, etc. This is why they are doing the deal to give away a copy of the original poster for Black Magic. They were not happy they had to use the covers they have.

And Bidou, Image is considered one of the better DVD companies in the world. They own Criterion and HMV, among others. But thanks for sharing all the same. :b

Guest limubai2000

One only has to look at the Fearless Fighters Image DVD to see how good a release they did with that MA title. They even tracked down the US director and editor and they did a wonderful commentary chock full of good 70s kung fu era in the US info.

I might also add that Image is sending, me mailer, after mailer, after mailer regarding the Shaw releases and their other MA and asian titles. I have 2 Black Magic ones, Exocist Master, and about 8 others. I get about 1 every week. Pretty good considering I send the mailer in the FF DVD back to them for the free poster (again GREAT).

It sucks that they reviewed a check disk without a BIG disclaimer stating that is was a check disk and the final product may differ, what jack-asses.

Guest killer meteor

DVD Maniacs can be unreliable. They reviewed BCI's Chinese Hercules and said the disc was 1.85:1 when it's actually 2.35:1. And they made a real hash out of reviewing Pathfinder's Tattoo Connection

and it doesn't look good. They don't show them playing on a player, but looking at it through Win Amp, it doesn't look to hot. Hopefully more info to come.

future IMAGE release dates: LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA--jan.9 --DEADLY BREAKING SWORD--jan.23 --HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL->feb.6 --WANDERING SWORDSMAN->feb.20 --MAGIC BLADE->may.22. no word yet if any of these have the english dub available--but from what i understand english dub versions do exist for these tittles. i will buy all these for sure if the dub versions show up.;) :rolleyes

Guest Markgway
future IMAGE release dates: LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA--jan.9 --DEADLY BREAKING SWORD--jan.23 --HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL->feb.6 --WANDERING SWORDSMAN->feb.20 --MAGIC BLADE->may.22.

Will be keeping my eye on these two: LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA and HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL.

Guest sevenhooks

No leads I know of.

I know it was part of the last World Northal Black Belt Package under the title of "Breaking Sword of Death". So the dub DOES exist.

It just never played anywhere on US tv to my knowledge.

In fact that last package never played anywhere in it's entirety as far as I know.

A couple of the films (Battle For Shaolin, Claw of the Eagle, Boxer From The Temple) DID play in places like LA, where quick thinking Bill Connolly managed to tape them, which is the source for the english dubbed versions we have of those 3 films today.

I just hope Image has the will to REALLY go after these english dubs where and when they exist.

I think we can all agree that a great deal of Image's success with these films here are going to depend (in large part) on this very issue.

Linn, if you're listening, and if it's not too late, please explain to Image that the english dub of Deadly Breaking Sword DOES exist and to plead with them to make a real concerted effort to procure it from Shaws/Celestial.

Same for any of the Shaw films they plan to release that had english dubs made for them (Legendary Weapons, Heaven and Hell, Battle For Shaolin/Shaolin Intruders, etc.).

Many a fan will thank you and Image for it - in the way of steady patronage.

personly i feel haveing the english dub will be the make or break success of thier shaw releases. after all if people just wanted the asian version they could just buy the celestial version.:lol

but what the heck:

I've stressed to Image that they need to find mono language elements of the original soundtracks, as well as all the dubbed versions they can. I even sent them a list of all the films with their correct original languages and what ones have been known to have dubs. FYI, Celestial DOES NOT have all the dubs. They have some original sound elements left, but certainly no where near everything. So those expecting a mother lode of English dub tracks from any DVD label releasing these films will be disappointed. All the Image releases have mono (Cantonese or Mandarin) soundtracks included. I know of none they don't have mono versions of. If they didn't, I've already helped them find them. They have also asked for completely new masters from the original elements that can still take it. I noted the couple I know about having already been done on the list below. There may be more, but I'm not aware of them. They REALLY wanted to do some more (Intimate Confessions among them), but most of the elements couldn't take it.

Here's the current slate of releases so far with mention of ones I KNOW have English dub tracks. This doesn't mean ones I don't note won't have dub tracks, but just that I haven't heard anything yet about them yet.

BOXER'S OMEN (This DOES have the original soundtrack. BTW, it looks GREAT!)-11/21/06

CAVE OF SILKEN WEB-12/12/06

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA (Sub and dub)-01/09/07

DEADLY BREAKING SWORD-01/23/07

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL-02/06/07

WANDERING SWORDSMAN-02/20/07

SHADOW WHIP-03/06/07

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE-03/20/07

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS (Subbed and dub)-04/10/07

BELLS OF DEATH (Subbed and dub. Uncut)-04/24/07

HEAVEN AND HELL(Subbed and dub)-05/08/07

MAGIC BLADE (Subbed and dub)-05/22/07

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN

06/05/07

HUMAN LANTERNS(New master. Uncut)-09/04/07

KILLER SNAKES (New master. Subbed, dub, and uncut)-09/18/07

And then there's all kinds of extras I can't mention yet.

Guest PaulyOne

hey linn, do you know if image plans to do posters for any more of their shaw releases? the black magic poster is AWESOME.... I would most definately buy all of their releases if they have a poster offer (I'll probably buy them anyway though)

Guest m burlock

Linn1,

Is the "Legendary Weapons of China" release date still Jan.9th and is the "Deadly Breaking Sword" release date still Jan.23rd or have their dates changed?

mburlock

P.S.

Checked with Image's website: Deadly Breaking Sword, Shaolin Intruders, Bells of Death, Human Lanterns, and Killer Snakes aren't listed (as to be released).

P.P.S.

Intimate Confessions... and Magic Blade are slated to be released in 2012!! According to Image's website.

Archived