U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

Guest Markgway

I'm always interested in extra/deleted footage. Even if it is just a bit o' softcore shot for the int'l market. ;) Which actors does this scene involve? I've only seen the subtitled dir's cut.

Interview with Paul Chun Pui should be good too - a fine character actor over the decades. Should have some choice anecdotes about his brothers.

Who's Ken Woo btw?

I honestly can't wait to see Image's DVD of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan either... ;)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ICCC (nice one Ian) should be a lot of fun. The love scene was added when Roger Corman asked for some sex in the film. He then promptly cut the movie down to nothing. :) Ken Woo is Kenichiku.

Guest chen lung

OK, but I'll kinda do it around the one topic;) .

DELETED SCENE:

What's the quality?

Did it receive remastering by Celestial or Image?

Is it full 2:35:1 anamorphic?

How was it sourced (through Celestial perhaps)?

Would be nice to see this 'black-and-white' fade-in/fade-out effect to show where it was initially.

Guest TheManInWhite

"these are the only dates set in stone at the moment.

09/12/2006 - Black Magic

10/03/2006 - Super Inframan

10/17/2006 - Water Margin, The

11/21/2006 - Boxer's Omen, The"

Linn - it appears that, according to Image's website, Water Margin is slated to come out Nov. 7.

Guest Chemical Lemon

Just got an email from deep discount that my Black Magic DVD shipped. Probably won't arrive till the actual release date, but figured I'd give a heads up to anybody on the lookout for it.

Guest chen lung

Great:rolleyes ... Can't Image redo this disc? Hope others don't suffer the same.

Thought Image weren't going to include remixes?

If it's not going to be redone, then I'm afraid it isn't the definative version.

so can't say anything about the PAL to NTSC, but I don't understand why you don't like the sound options Scott. It includes the original mono AND the remix, along with the English dub.

Edit-I would also like to note, this is a check disc they are reviewing there. Meaning it's a disc to check and make sure everything is okay before the title is mass produced. This could be a problem that has already been seen and fixed, and could even be a problem with the disc itself that the reviewer got a copy of. I'll ask, but I would wait to see a review of the actual disc. I would also say write in to Image through their website about the problem and your concerns.

Guest chen lung

if it's got a GOOD remix with original elements used - like 'Heart of the Dragon' Universe DVD (and not just an upmix without much to it or something like 'Warriors Two' HKL when the remix had nothing but loud noises) then by all means:D .

Initially, Image were hell-bent on mono soundtracks only - Unless Celestial threatened to lock up the staff at Image in a cinema room with an atrocious remix playing until they gave in to their demands:rollin .

I apologise if I jumped in but for internet readers, Image may have tarnished their reputation thanks to this possible copy of a completed disc. Reviewing a test disc is rather stupid, and you'll know why. I really do hope there are no problems in the final product:o .

But it is a relief all the same;) .

Thanks for doing this Linn:) .

Guest Vorvadoss

Ahhh thanks for the headsup Linn.. I just skimmed the review over at the maniacs. *missed that its a check disc* And I totally agree.. Why even review a check disc. So maybe there is still hope and the problems were fixed. *crosses fingers*

Guest killer meteor

If the final disc is PAL-NTSC, that makes the disc less desirable but the English dub makes me favour it over the HK disc so I'm still happy - if a bit disapointed. Damn Celestial for being so short sighted

Including a remix might be a contract thing but don't forget some people look at a site like DVD Compare and see that the HK DVD has 5.1 sound - regardless of the fact it will be as aurally pleasing as two skeletons copulating on a tin roof - and automatically go for that so by including it on the DVD Image is covering all bets

Guest chen lung

but I would really moan over an NTSC>PAL upconversion as you require additional resolution (unless for example: 'Dance of the Drunk Mantis' Soulblade was an NTSC disc and everything in an upconvertion should just fit a PAL resolution to correct the problem).

PAL>NTSC means more resolution for NTSC (anamorphic and progressive maybe received in the process too) so I don't see any real problem as long as everything is converted correctly.

I'm not a fan of up/down-converting as resolution is stretched a little meaning for loss-of-detail and generally, it ****s around with the image...

Shouldn't these films be taken from HD sources anyway?

Sites like DVD Compare have unfair reviewing systems and that fact they assume higher channel set-ups win automatically without reviewing the quality does my box in - a few other things too.

and they have looked at the finished disc and to quote:

"we looked over the disc and the only problematic motion shot was [an extremely short] shot of a waiter's black pants on a white background, which was a problem inherent in the source."

They went on to say that the finished disc showed none of the problems listed in the review of the check disc on the setups they tried it on.

I think it's going to come down to fans actually seeing the discs for themselves. But as you said Scott, even if the disc is fine, the damage is done by reviewing a check disc and not the finished product. And to be honest, it could be any number of things from the review being correct, to something being up with the reviewers dvd player, or the disc itself.

Guest chen lung

Are there subtitles on the Celestial promos?

Will Image include both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks or just the language the film was made in (for both promos and the film)?

Guest killer meteor
PAL>NTSC means more resolution for NTSC (anamorphic and progressive maybe received in the process too) so I don't see any real problem as long as everything is converted correctly.

The conversions on the IVL DVDs are poor, with ghosted frames and a nasty videotape shot look to them. I think it is possible to do a decent conversion by changing the frame rates but I'm no expert on this.

Shouldn't these films be taken from HD sources anyway?

AFAIK there aren't any. Celestial's restorations were done with non-anamorphic TV broadcast in mind. Personally I don't like their restorations. Picture is too soft, framing is suspect - Challenge Of The Masters in particular seems very heavily zoomed in, with info drifting off the top and bottom suggesting the camera operator was drunk - , the inital failure to make anamorphic masters and the ongoing lack of digital masters, the shoddy subs, the remixes and the horrid noise reduction which blights even their mono tracks - similar to Universal's first DVD release of Frankenstein

which is why their DVD of Black Magic is about four and a half minutes longer than the HK disc. They asked for new masters from original prints for all the releases, but many of the films are in such bad shape they won't hold up to another round. The few that will, they got new masters. Which means that it's unlikely we will see HD masters for these films for now I would guess. And the IVL conversions got better as they went along. They are worlds better than the old tapes, but the first year or so, they weren't great shakes.

Guest Bidou Laloge

image dvds will end soon in the 1.99$ bac at walmart, i'd like to see a real professional company taking cares of these movies, not a bunch of amateurs who doesn't know how to press a dvd... what a shame, what a joke :rollin

Archived