U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a little bit more on both releases. But as I said, the first couple of releases in this series will be the lightest on extras because they couldn't get some things right off the bat. BTW, the language tracks are correct on these.

Guest gfanikf

Cool I've been deciding wheter to spend my scare tip money (all other money is going to savings) on the image releases. I think I'll give it a try since there so cheap through DDD at least on the first volume to give it a try

I was just reading through the thread and remebered some of the earlier things about the releases. Are extras from the French set still planned (besides Citizen Shaw)?

Also I was wondering what caused the shift in schedule and the order?

So no dub for BM darn. Oh which dub is on Inframan and did Brenner give Image any crap about the release?

I know the first one comes with a reproduction of the original Shaw Brothers poster and some other stuff. I know my text interview with Hua Shan (director of Inframan) is also on the Inframan disc. The still galleries are actually poster and lobbies galleries as well.

Are extras from the French set still planned (besides Citizen Shaw)?

Yep, but they will be longer versions of the interviews, ditto for the stuff IVL had on their dvds as well.

Also I was wondering what caused the shift in schedule and the order?

Just the order in which they could get the elements.

Guest gfanikf

Sweet thats good to hear. I can deal with waiting the extra couple of months rather than get cut and pastes of the IVLs with no other work. I just can wait till we get to hear mono tracks on the kung fu flicks becasue I tell you that when Mono has appeared recently on IVL discs Mercs from HK its crisp clean and wonderful

Just to confirm Black Magic has not dub? Odd as it is listed in the catalogs and such oh well guess the Shaws never held onto it. Shame it wasnt like with Toho where they still had a dub for Atragon lying around for Media Blasters to use (it was one of the earliest they ever did and had never appeared anywhere)

PS

Oh did you get my pm at FLK

Thanks

ALL of the Image releases have dubs so far. I don't know why HKFlix has it listed that way. As for the PM, got it and responded. Check your box, as sometimes it doesn't tell you.

Guest gfanikf

Linn,

Thats great to hear. Honestly the dubs are like an extra in them self for me. :) Where any of the Image Shaws previously not available in dubbed form besides I think Boxers Omen and Intimate....Courtesan

I checkrf for the PM but its not there and I recently got one for another person so it may not have sent try it again there or the one at ezboard. Sorry for all the run around

Guest chen lung

Were there any problems with video (progressive 24fps optional telecining), audio (complete soundtracks that may have been problematic on IVL DVD, sourcing export international dubs), restoring footage and stuff?

Cheers again:D !

Guest sevenhooks

Hey Linn,

Sorry to keep badgering you with these silly inquiries, and I know we've spoken via email in the past about this, but re: the english dubs, when you say...

ALL of the Image releases have dubs so far.

...does that include "ALL" the films on their initial list?

Like Boxer's Omen, Legendary Weapons, etc.?

Can't wait to finally see some of this stuff!

:D

Also, somewhat related, I read somewhere that the Wienstien's "Dragon Dynasty" label will in fact be releasing the Shaw Brothers stuff they got from Miramax at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyone here able to confirm?

And with Bey Logan running things to an extent, might that help in any way in procuring the original english dubs, or is that simply a dead issue at this point?

Guest chen lung

I'll have contact with DD so I'll try and get anything (export international dubs e.t.c.). Got a list of stuff - can you add to it?

It was confirmed in the press release that Celestial's were included and very likely the titles initially from Miramax. I can't see them picking up anymore than the 30 titles that may not be great and successful.

...does that include "ALL" the films on their initial list?

Like Boxer's Omen, Legendary Weapons, etc.?

All the films we know have dubs will have them. AKA Boxer's Omen (which I'll be getting a copy of the Image version soon) doesn't have a dub track.

Guest gfanikf

So if the dub list matches the film then we should get a dub. Do you know if Image was able to get a dub for Monkey Goes West?

but what I mean is, if you have heard a dub of the film, Image has that dub at least. That is all I know so far. In other words, I don't know of a dub for Boxer's Omen, but I know Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu was dubbed. The well known dubs have survived. So far, the others haven't been found. But they are still looking.

Guest gfanikf

They apparently should get Don May from Synapse on it as he just recently found the entire original negative to Halloween before it was about to be junked. So the plan is we kidnap him put him on a plane landing in various countries (like that CIA plan but without the torture and such :P) and have him hunt out the valuts :)

these are the only dates set in stone at the moment.

09/12/2006 - Black Magic

10/03/2006 - Super Inframan

10/17/2006 - Water Margin, The

11/21/2006 - Boxer's Omen, The

BTW, the covers are getting better IMO.

Guest gfanikf

I guess since it's cheaper for me I should be happy about them stopping the two releases a month idea. In theory though communism works.

Guest Markgway
10/17/2006 - Water Margin, The

That's the only one this year I'm interested in.

Linn, do you know what the differences are between the upcoming Image and existing IVL release?

Worth an upgrade? (I'm not bothered about the inclusion of any dub)

Here's the extras for the first three I know of at this moment:

1.Black Magic

-Full size reproduction of the original poster

-Limited edition box

-Original dub track

-Extensive gallery of stills and lobby cards

-Liner notes by me :)

2. Super Inframan

-Original dub track

-Print interview with Director Hau Shan I did this past year

-Liner notes by Damon Foster and August Ragone

-Original trailer

3. The Water Margin

-Original dub track

-Original trailer

-Love scene added to the US version

-Interview with Paul Chun

-The Master: Chang Cheng, Elegant Trails: David Chiang, and Elegant Trails: Ti Lung

-Liner notes by our own Ken Woo

As they go on, these will have more and more extras. The Lobbies and stuff included here are NOT just the stuff from IVL, but posters, lobbies, and photos from all over the world. Image got the rights to the French extras, as well as most of the IVL stuff. And the French interviews and docs will be longer than they were on the French discs. I honestly can't wait to see Image's DVD of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.

Guest chen lung

YES!!! Nice one Linn:D !

I'll be getting the regular editions;) .

Will that commentary from the German cafeteria lady still be included :o ?

Will Image fix up the subtitles in the extras too?

Was this love scene included for all export English versions or just the US release? Will it be anamorphic, remastered and possibly include black&white lead-ins/fade-outs to show where it was initially in the film?

Now that things are more in shape, these will be optional 24fps Progressive flagging?

Anything on subtitle tracks to accompany English dub (onscreen text)?

Did they manage to get trailers from other countries? Ebay German sellers often bring up some super-8 trailers.

Do you think Image could manage biographies/filmographies or maybe a retrospective on the making of the film and about the film itself (like HKL with 'Bullet in the Head')?

I honestly can't wait to see Image's DVD of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.

I wonder if Image managed to have another restoration done as reports say the top of the image is missing?

Archived