U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shaolin Patriot
there will be English subs.

Thanks Linn. This is really great news. I find it much more enjoyable to read the English subs., since the translations are different than the English dubs. I'm hoping that the English narratives (i.e. translations of on-screen Chinese characters to introduce actors, signage on buildings, etc.) will also be subtitled.

Guest Markgway
translations of on-screen Chinese characters to introduce actors

That would be useful for lesser known actors or well known actors in disguise. ;)

Guest chen lung

I THINK we've covered nearly everything:D .

Just the restoration of missing frames (including damaged and frame splices) and actual footage. Linn, did you tell Image about this:) ?

Yet again, sorry to be a pain:p ! Just want everything to be perfect:D .

Bare with me:) .

Guest killer meteor

"The list says Cantonese for The Master, so it was a screw up by Siren."

More by Celestial, who is so bloody pro-Mandarin, every title they've licensed to a non-Asian distributor had a Mandarin track only, regardless of what the original language was.

Guest tylerpistol

From clubtokyo.org message board user GFan....

SUPER INFRAMAN (aka INFRAMAN) (1975)

Street Date: 10/03/06 SRP: $19.99

The original mind-boggling, fast-paced monster mash! When the nefarious Dragon Princess invades Hong Kong and summons monsters up from the center of the Earth for her army, Earth's meager defense team joins together to create Inframan! With multiple powers at his disposal (including laser eyes and thunderball fists), he sets out to vanquish his enemy forever in the action-packed audience favorite that will have you cheering!

Starring Danny Lee (The Killer, The Untold Story, Tragic Hero), Terry Liu (Oily Maniac) and Hap Wong (Shadow Whip)!

Includes original Cantonese version with English subtitles and English-dubbed version! Also includes printed liner notes, printed collector's insert about martial arts films from Shaw Brothers, original trailer and a gallery of stills. 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Guest Markgway
Includes original Cantonese version with English subtitles and English-dubbed version! Also includes printed liner notes, printed collector's insert about martial arts films from Shaw Brothers, original trailer and a gallery of stills. 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Oops!! :o

these are temp specs written up by people given the info, and the disc has not even been pressed yet. Please wait to see the actual product before jumping all over it. But I'm sure there will be something wrong, as there always is. That is the way of fans, and I'm one too. :)

Edit-They've already started fixing the info on there and will get to these soon. Direct from the company:

"Black Magic is definitely Mandarin, and the rest should be corrected shortly."

here's the release dates. You'll note they have been pushed back a bit. Also, the announcement of who's doing liner notes for the titles:

BLACK MAGIC-Linn Haynes

RELEASE DATE: 09/12/06

SUPER INFRAMAN-Damon Foster

RELEASE DATE: 10/03/06

WATER MARGIN-Kenny Woo

RELEASE DATE: 10/17/06

THE MAGIC BLADE-Linn Haynes

RELEASE DATE: 11/07/06

BOXER'S OMEN-Linn Haynes, at the moment

RELEASE DATE: 11/21/06

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN-John Charles

RELEASE DATE: 12/05/06

More to come. I still haven't heard from a few people about liner notes, so keep your fingers crossed on that. And fans of Inframan, if it all works out, it will be the coolest disc of the batch IMO. I can't wait to see it. FYI, Boxers Omen runs at least five minutes longer than the old cut Taiwanese release. Image has gotten the rights to the French extras (with the exception of Citizen Shaw, which is still in talks). The French extras used will include possible UNCUT versions of the interviews which were cut for stuff that didn' deal with the films at hand. Also, many of the dvds will be using classic Dewolf soundtracks and "stings" on the menu screens thanks to Paul. All of the dvds will feature still galleries with lobbies, posters, and other bits from all over the world. This is largely thanks to the work of Brother Ken and many others. Again, if anyone would like to contribute anything to these releases, please contact me. You will be thanked on the dvd.

Guest sammofan

Even though this was a Mandarin production in my opinion Cantonese is more appropriate for this film because of the Hong Kong setting. Same goes for all those other Mandarin productions set in Hong Kong.

Guest Markgway
WATER MARGIN-Kenny Woo RELEASE DATE: 10/17/06

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN-John Charles RELEASE DATE: 12/05/06

These are the two I'll be buying... assuming the ones I have need upgraded. I'll wait for comparisons.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Linn, glad to hear that Image will be using the actual Dewolf menu soundtracks and stings. Do you know if there will be motion menus or just plain static photography? Have you seen any packaging samples yet, particularly of Water Margin and Super Inframan?

Guest lacali

Great news that they'll release this for the US market in DVD format. Now that if IVL still gets cheap by releasing good Shaw flicks on VCD only they can shove them up their greedy mind and keep them forever. I'll buy the US Boxer's Omen DVD for sure even though it could be more pricy.

My liner notes have been "okayed" for Black Magic, including a thank you to the kung fu fandom forums. Now on to Magic Blade! :)

Linn, glad to hear that Image will be using the actual Dewolf menu soundtracks and stings.

Please note, I said "some." Some of the releases will have Shaw Brothers music, but perhaps not EXACTLY the music from the film in question.

Do you know if there will be motion menus or just plain static photography?

Don't know yet.

Have you seen any packaging samples yet, particularly of Water Margin and Super Inframan?

Not yet, but soon. And I'll post it.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
Some of the releases will have Shaw Brothers music, but perhaps not EXACTLY the music from the film in question.

No problem, as we'll all be looking forward to hearing the original SB music throughout the films, unaltered.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
No problem, as we'll all be looking forward to hearing the original SB music throughout the films, unaltered

Agreed (entirely).

Guest killer meteor

I doubt it. The head of Image was in a news article a few months ago and he wasn;t convinced by HD DVD. Personally, I don't see the need for it either. As long as the film is OAR, original sound and progressive, I'm happy

Guest limubai2000

I wouldn't expect a company the size of Image (re:small compared to Sony/Toshiba) to go either way until the dust settles.

It would be nice if they were DVD9 which from the Black Magic specs it appears they will be.

Linn,

Everything still go for the release of Black Magic in September and Super Inframan in October? I see they are listed on Image's website.

Also, is the audio for Super Inframan really going to be 5.1, as the website says, or is that a misprint.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

far as I know the dates are correct for the titles on their site. As for the audio, I'm not sure. It depends on where they got the English dub. All of these I know of so far are mono.

Archived