U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My god, you sure Image are wanting the best for these Linn

HA! Don't pay much attention to the site guys, as it's mainly there to put the titles up. All the info I'm posting is coming from the man in charge of the collection, so it's corret. And Megaone, drop me an e-mail at kungkid@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Guest HAZ74

Hi, Linn,

I was wondering: now that you've been involved with the actual production of these Image DVD's, what would you say are the most challenging aspects of putting out a quality DVD? Is it hard to find good translators for subtitles? Are there nuances to the chinese language that are difficult to convey in english? Has it been difficult to assemble archival footage & materials? I can imagine the whole process must be complicated.

Many thanks! I'm looking forward to getting these Image DVD's!

haz

considering I'm not involved in the production, I can't tell you too much on that. I'm simply getting together extras they couldn't find or getting together writers to do liner notes and helping them with the writing and editing of the notes as well.

everything is going very well on my side of things. My dream was to get a nice grab bag of well known and not so well known writers (and friends) for the liner notes, and so far so good. These include Mike Leeder, John Charles, Kenny Woo, Damon Foster(coming out of semi-retirement), myself, and I HOPE some others I haven't heard from yet. More info as I get it.

The Image version of Super Inframan SHOULD be one for the ages. All I can say right now, is the extras will be very worth it to check out if your a fan of the film. I've set something up that I don't want to give away now in case it doesn't work out, but it will be VERY cool and a first AFAIK. Even if it doesn't work out, this should be the best version of the film.

For all of us that have been waiting so nicely for these first ever legit US dvd releases of the Shaw Brothers films, here's a treat. I'm going to start dropping out titles that are coming but haven't been revealed yet.

First title: Disciples of Shaolin AKA Invincible One :)

You got my money on that one, especially with the Eng dub. That was the second Shaw Brothers movie I saw back in 1986 on the Friday night late movie. First was Flying Guillotine.

Thank you for the update Linn.

Guest lacali

If Image's Invincible One comes out before Celestial then I will definitely drop Celestial release and collect the US Image version of this title. Hopefully, Image will put both Chinese language with English subtitles and English dub in all Shawo DVDs.

Guest PaulyOne

here are the only links I could find to other future shaw releases from image on their site with release dates

09/12/2006 - Black Magic

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=48016

10/03/2006 - Super Inframan

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=48030

10/17/2006 - Water Margin, The

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=48014

11/07/2006 - Magic Blade, The

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=47996

11/21/2006 - Boxer's Omen, The

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=48000

12/05/2006 - Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan

www.image-entertainment.c...ctID=48008

Guest chen lung
If Image's Invincible One comes out before Celestial then I will definitely drop Celestial release and collect the US Image version of this title.

You must mean IVL/Deltamac. Remember that Celestial have no relation to the DVD release, the simply supply materials;) .

Anyway, Disciples of Shaolin sounds nice!

I'm still concerned about the language issue. Just don't rely on the notorious databases:b !!

all releases are planned to have the original dub (where this has been one) and the original language. And again, those dates are not correct, nor are the order. As of right this second, it's Black Magic followed by Boxer's Omen.

Guest chen lung
the original language.

We had this debate before Linn;) !

For example:

THE MASTER:

IVL/Deltamac: Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks.

Siren: Mandarin.

Hard to say which language was the correct one. Siren were most likely the ones to get it wrong. The Cantonese (or whatever) may have been reissued soundtracks (seeing 1980s were most popular to have Cantonese reissues for Mandarin films).

What is your source gonna be to get the correct 'original' language (between the choice of Cantonese or Mandarin) without assumtions:p ? If nessesery and they don't have a reliable source, ask them to include both just to stay on the safe side;) .

If there is 2 different English dubs, they will include them as you said, right Linn:) ?

the language comes from the Shaw Brothers own list of original production/release languages. This was given to Image and the plan is to follow this to the letter. You'll also note, Black Magic will be coming in a special case with a reproduction of the original theatrical poster included, and the original trailer as one of the extras. Forgot to add, most films didn't have two English dubs. But Image will be putting what they can on there.

Guest chen lung

Cheers for the update:) .

I'm not sure if that release schedule is gonna be reliable, Siren released 'The Master' in Mandarin which could well have been a mistake thanks to either them or this list you mention. Another instance is 'Fortune Star' who assume Cantonese is the correct language for the BL movies (with the exception of GOD/ETD).

A special case:o ? Please advice them against it as it'll only bugger up collector's shelves for differing cases (like IVL).

Make sure Image subtitle the trailer and if possible, clean it up to their best if Celestial aren't going to bother.

Don't use DVNR or other cheap filters unless absolutely nessesery:) .

Celestial are a right bastard when it comes to video, they trim out little (and the occassional big) sections, frame cuts, newly created title cards. God knows if it's gonna be restored truly.

I'm not sure if that release schedule is gonna be reliable, Siren released 'The Master' in Mandarin which could well have been a mistake thanks to either them or this list you mention.

The list says Cantonese for The Master, so it was a screw up by Siren. To be blunt, I'm going to TRY to make sure they don't screw up, but I have no control over these releases other than the liner notes. :)

Another instance is 'Fortune Star' who assume Cantonese is the correct language for the BL movies (with the exception of GOD/ETD).

In this case you're dealing with a company in Image that is used to dealing with cult film collectors through both the Criterion Collection, and their other labels. I think it will be far better than a company that for years upon years have never cared about the fans.

A special case ? Please advice them against it as it'll only bugger up collector's shelves for differing cases (like IVL).

Sorry, already done. BTW, it's a slip case. So if you don't want it, you don't have to the leave it on. These are for selling to the US market, not for matching with every other title in existance. And yes, I'm getting snarky now.

Guest chen lung
Sorry, already done. BTW, it's a slip case. So if you don't want it, you don't have to the leave it on. These are for selling to the US market, not for matching with every other title in existance.

Na, I'm talking about if they do the odd 'Special case' release, the rest of the ordinaries (by Image) won't match. Plus, it could be argued that some of the more popular titles are getting less attention or something by doing this.

I was just using IVL as an example as they included slipcases and later on, they stopped. That was my mistake for not explaining clearly:) .

Besides, slipcases are a waste of money and it's a case of cutting more trees down. Tell 'em to save their money on this and bribe Miramax for some titles!

Will they always be manufactured in slipcases or is it just a limited pressing before it reverts to the 'regular' amaray cases?

And yes, I'm getting snarky now.

(gulp)

Na, I'm talking about if they do the odd 'Special case' release, the rest of the ordinaries (by Image) won't match. Plus, it could be argued that some of the more popular titles are getting less attention or something by doing this.

All of them will have this from what I understand.

Besides, slipcases are a waste of money and it's a case of cutting more trees down.

The cases are metal. :)

Tell 'em to save their money on this and bribe Miramax for some titles!

They will not give up their titles. Others have tried.

Will they always be manufactured in slipcases or is it just a limited pressing before it reverts to the 'regular' amaray cases?

Right.

Guest chen lung
Right.

What's right?

Donno if you noticed the 'audio commentaries' post:) .

Aye well, first step of a likely forthcoming disaster for Image:D ! 'The Legend of the slipcase':D !

The slipcases are for the first release and limited. Afterwards, they will be just the normal case beneath.

Guest chen lung

How long before the limited batch stops?

Will Image release two seperate versions at the same time?:

One Limited.

One Regular.

Guest Markgway

So there will be amrays under the metal slip cases right?

I hate fancy packaging myself and will just ditch the tin.

As for the original language thing... on that Image site the language listed for Super Inframan and Magic Blade is Cantonese. But it should be Mandarin. That's just a web error, I hope(?)

Why not use both Chinese languages to be sure? Better than two English dubs.

Guest chen lung

You're right Mark.

It is a concerning issue and there is NO guarantee Celestial have provided an accurate list. I strongly urge you (Linn) to persuade Image to include both soundtracks to be absolutely sure. Otherwise, there's an open risk of mess-ups.

The 2 English dubs (depending on release of course) would be icing on the cake (for collectors/purists) but if it can't be done, then it's understandable:) .

This slipcase issue is really annoying and can be done without. To top that, it maybe risky for their first set of Shaws (expensive to produce too). If they want the greatest for them, they should keep their suggestions open (maybe pop on the forum from time-to-time).

I've already sent them that suggestion(of putting both tracks on there), AND I sent them what tracks are correct for the titles. As for the listings on the site, again I'll say that that is simply a posting of the title. Everything else is just "there." For instance, the stuff listed as extras on the Black Magic disc isn't correct. Don't hold much stock in what you see there yet.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
all releases are planned to have the original dub (where this has been one) and the original language.

Linn, I just want to confirm that there will be optional English subtitles. Is this also to be included or will it be strictly English dubbed audio? Also, will there be French and Spanish subtitles, as are common to region 1 DVDs?

Archived