U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

Guest gfanikf

Linn, you may want to ask FLK Pete about it. I thought he once mentioned to me that there were two dubs. He may have it but I may be mistaken.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung

How about if two dubs are put on the release to make everyone happy:D ?

I know it might seem a waste but any chance of alternative English opening credits and a full cast/crew listing in English?

Would be nice to see a subtitled audio commentary if non-English speakers are willing to commit to the release:D .

Oh, and another thing;) ! Beg them not to do slipcases for these:rollin ! It'll only cause havoc for purists and mad buyers (like myself):) !

Guest HAZ74
Hey Linn, this inquiry might have been addressed in an earlier thread, so sorry if it's redundant. Will Image be featuring an English subtitle option, in addition to Chinese and English dubbed audio? I'd certainly love to hear that English subs will be included, since many prefer sub over dub and it adds to the entertainment experience. Some of the major studio DVD releases, such as Fox and Sony/Columbia Tri-Star, are offering English subs as an option to their martial arts titles, in addition to Chinese/English audio.

My understanding is that we'll have the option of dub & subs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Is there a release date for Super Inframan?

thanks

h

Guest chen lung

Yeah, Linn said there would be english subtitles (improved) at some point:) . It would be silly not to right enough;) !

How about if two dubs are put on the release to make everyone happy ?

The only options on these discs are English soundtracks with forced English subtitles. I asked why, and they said, "This is to get back at those jerks at HK Video."

I know it might seem a waste, but any chance of alternative English opening credits and a full cast/crew listing in English?

No.

Would be nice to see a subtitled audio commentary if non-English speakers are willing to commit to the release .

There will be a Cantonese commentary by the Shaw Brothers Studios cafeteria lunch lady, subtitled in German.

Oh, and another thing ! Beg them not to do slipcases for these ! It'll only cause havoc for purists and mad buyers (like myself) !

Actually, I asked them if the cases could be snappers that are slipcased, then covered by little karate Gi's. Even the horror titles, I thought they'd look cute.

And yes, all of these answers are NOT serious. This is largely because I think Scott would like it if every dvd release came with a clone of the main star to make you lunch, as they answer all your questions about the film. And I know this may derail the thread, but I couldn't help myself to have a chance as some good natured ribbing. :)

Guest chen lung
"This is to get back at those jerks at HK Video."

Sure is:eek ! Nice on Linn!

This is largely because I think Scott would like it if every dvd release came with a clone of the main star to make you lunch, as they answer all your questions about the film.

Whoa! You're a mind-reader:eek ? Actually, I was hoping it would be the real stars themselves:( .

OK, back to reality:) !

What are the real answers for these:evil ?

Guest Ministry88

Will BLACK MAGIC 2 be coming out by Image too Linn? I'm asking because Celestial just punked out and dropped it from their schedule! Also, I suspect that all the available versions of it are cut (well, at least the ones I've seen). And when exactly does Image plan to release the uncut HUMAN LANTERNS? Finally, does Image have any plans to release these other SB horrors:

-BEWITCHED

-PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL

-BLOODY PARROT

**Thanks for any info!

>How about if two dubs are put on the release to make >everyone happy ?

That's IF there's a second dub to be had. I'm trying.

>I know it might seem a waste but any chance of alternative English opening credits and a full cast/crew listing in English?

Maybe.

>Would be nice to see a subtitled audio commentary if non-English speakers are willing to commit to the release .

No commentaries so far, but there's going to be some great interviews!

Will BLACK MAGIC 2 be coming out by Image too Linn?

Good to see ya Stephen. Not this batch, but I want to see it released as well.

Also, I suspect that all the available versions of it are cut (well, at least the ones I've seen).

Yes, it's well known that the most common version out there is a TV print.

And when exactly does Image plan to release the uncut HUMAN LANTERNS?

I don't know exactly. I'll be doing liner notes for this one and searching for some cool extras as well.

Finally, does Image have any plans to release these other SB horrors:

-BEWITCHED

-PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL

-BLOODY PARROT

Not this batch, but I'm a HUGE fan of Portrait and Bloody Parrot. And I MUST see Bewitched, as it's the first part of Boxer's Omen. I'll be pulling for them in a second batch.

Guest Ministry88

Linn, thanks so much for the prompt, detailed response! And, of course, your involvement in these projects. I just know us cult/horror film fans are in good hands with you on board! I've been in the horror film field for the better part of a decade now, have written hundreds of articles, interviews, reviews for websites and a couple of books, and collected hundreds and hundreds of films and talked with many collectors, filmmakers, and critics. I've found that many people in the cult film critic business are pretentious know-nothings who love ripping people off. You're one of the few I respect, and it was echoed when my friend Dang Vu said you were a "stand-up guy" for sending him that Hong Kong filmmakers programme for his Five Venoms project. Just want to say thanks for all the help and the info all this time...

Guest Shaolin Patriot

I hope there will be the English subtitle option, without the repeating sentences and poor grammar that the IVL versions had.

Hey Linn, it's cool your doing this for the love of it, it's a hard thing trying to make a living at the same time.

Which movie did you say was going to be released, Web of Death or Battle Wizard?

I've found that many people in the cult film critic business are pretentious know-nothings who love ripping people off.

First off, thanks for the kind words. I too have met these types and I do my best to not be an "expert" on these films. My goal is to spread my love for them.

Which movie did you say was going to be released, Web of Death or Battle Wizard?

Web of Death. I hope Battle Wizard will be picked up next time. Ditto for Seeding of a Ghost, which they DID want to get this time BTW.

Guest Ministry88

You said the first two releases will be April or May? Do you mean the first two Image releases will be released April or May? I though they were coming out in the fall. And one of those titles is BOXER'S OMEN right? I just want to make sure I have this right. Thanks:)

You said the first two releases will be April or May? Do you mean the first two Image releases will be released April or May? I though they were coming out in the fall. And one of those titles is BOXER'S OMEN right?

Everything I'm talking about in this thread deals with Image. The first two releases are Boxer's Omen and Black Magic. Both will be out in April or May as it stands right now. Understand, release dates are VERY fluid. All kinds of things can change when something is coming out from current films, to other companies releases. This is as it stands at the moment.

Guest Ministry88

Linn, I just checked Image's website and it lists BLACK MAGIC as coming out on September 12. There is no listing of BOXER'S OMEN anywhere. We shall have to wait and see I guess...

Archived