U.S. Shaw Brothers announcement thread (UPDATED 4/30/06)

Linn1

Boxer's Omen and Black Magic. I'll be doing liner notes for these releases along with, I hope, some well known names in the kung fu community. They will be coming in late summer of this year. The reasoning behind this is that they are the titles that will require the least amount of effort soundtrackwise and the like to put out. If anyone has anything that can be used in the extras including trailers, lobby cards, etc, please contact me at kungkid@hotmail.com

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linn,

Thank you for passing that information along to us. To bad they weren't able to start releasing in April.

Do you know if Image will be able to get the original trailers from Celestial?

I have the stills that were originally posted here by other forum member for Boxer's Omen and Black Magic but I'll wait for those members to contribute them first.

Guest kungfusamurai

Linn,

Is Image going to be doing their own work-ups from the original negatives (i.e. remastering the video and audio themselves) or are they just getting what Celestial fixes and throws at them?

Also, is Image going to be carrying over some of those bonus features from the IVL dics onto their releases (eg. interviews; featurettes)? Perhaps Image could see if Wild Side Project in France is willing to share some of their bonus features. They've put on some interviews and featurettes (like Citizen Shaw) that weren't on the HK Shaws. They didn't have english subs, so that might be another incentive for collectors who may have already bought the IVL versions to buy the DVDs again.

KFS

Guest Chemical Lemon

Hey Linn, thanks for the update. I remember hearing that the celestial DVD of Black Magic was cut (It's the only version I've seen, so I wouldn't know). Have you seen the version Image will use yet? If so, do you know if they have a more complete copy (if the celestial was in fact cut)?

Anyway, good luck, looking forward to your commentaries, thanks again for the info.

Guest Markgway

Linn said he was doing liner notes, no mention of commentaries. Are you doing commentaries? I thought BLACK MAGIC sucked, but haven't seen BOXER'S OMEN so might check that out.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
Also, is Image going to be carrying over some of those bonus features from the IVL dics onto their releases (eg. interviews; featurettes)?

I think a previous post mentions that they will. It would definately be great to get some of the Wild Side stuff too.

Is Image going to be doing their own work-ups from the original negatives (i.e. remastering the video and audio themselves) or are they just getting what Celestial fixes and throws at them?

They have requested certain titles to be re-done. I don't know the exact titles. I know that Chinese Courtesan and a few others couldn’t be gone over again because the prints were too fragile. The audio will be correct, the plan is for there to be nothing additional or subtracted from the sound as it was originally heard.

Also, is Image going to be carrying over some of those bonus features from the IVL dics onto their releases (eg. interviews; featurettes)?

They have access to all the IVL stuff from what I understand. I'll ask to make sure.

Perhaps Image could see if Wild Side Project in France is willing to share some of their bonus features. They've put on some interviews and featurettes (like Citizen Shaw) that weren't on the HK Shaws. They didn't have english subs, so that might be another incentive for collectors who may have already bought the IVL versions to buy the DVDs again.

You and Patriot should be pretty happy. As luck would have it, an old friend of mine does all the extras for these releases. You will see some of this and MORE not released in France on the U.S. releases. :) Please note, I can't say you'll see that for sure on these first couple of releases.

Hey Linn, thanks for the update. I remember hearing that the celestial DVD of Black Magic was cut (It's the only version I've seen, so I wouldn't know). Have you seen the version Image will use yet? If so, do you know if they have a more complete copy (if the celestial was in fact cut)?

The idea that the dvd was cut came from some lobby cards up at asiandvdguide that showed some stuff that was not in the film. These could have been promotional images of scenes planned or could have been scenes cut from the original release because they didn't work. As far as I'm aware, these scenes have never turned up anywhere else. If anyone has any other info, please e-mail me.

Linn said he was doing liner notes, no mention of commentaries. Are you doing commentaries?

As of right now, I'm not doing commentaries for these. And no way I can do liner notes for them all, but I would LOVE to! It comes down to:

A. I don't really have a lot of time with all the companies I work for on the SIDE of my real job, let alone stuff I do for fans needing help on questions, books, papers, interviews, translations (I haven't forgotten you Yves!), etc. Walk On said once I was the hardest working guy he knew and I'm starting to agree!

B. I'm not being paid for any of this, which I really need to be to justify the time involved in more than just liner notes.

C. I AM getting paid by other companies for the same thing (liner notes,commentaries, etc) and it's not really fair to me.

I'm doing all this (liner notes, back copy,searching for extras, sending them my personal copies of all the films, etc ) simply because I love these films and want to support them anyway I can.

Since this is now on nearly every forum dealing with Asian films (thanks guys!), if there's fans reading this with truly rare Shaw related items that can enhance these dvds, share them. I'm not saying send in all your rare stuff and never see it again. I'm saying copy what you can copy. These releases are seeking to be the best in the world from a fan perspective and with your help they can be. I know fans often hoard rare film, footage, dubs, trailers, etc, in hopes that one day they can blow others fan's minds by saying, "Well, I've got this...." Well, now you have a world stage with which to do so. The time of hoarding things for your singular enjoyment has passed. It's time to share and show the world what fans of kung fu films have known for all these years, these are films worthy of respect.

Or maybe I'm just up to late and need some sleep. ;)

Guest killer meteor

Good choices for releases, since they have appeal to both Asian cinema and horror fans, plus the grindhouse junkies who saw Black Magic back in the 70's.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Thanks, Linn, for the great news. We all appreciate your time and efforts in attempting to make the Image/SB project the best that it could be and hoping that it eventually becomes a resounding success.

Since Boxer's Omen was not listed as 1 of the 18 titles by Image earlier, will there be a distribution schedule published of all 30 titles in the near future?

are Super Inframan and The Water Margin AKA Seven Blows of the Dragon. As before, if anyone can help with these via lobbies, posters, trailers, etc., please let me know. Thanks to everyone for their work so far!

WAY ahead of you there! Damon was the first guy to give me a writing gig back in the day, but we lost touch a while back. August gave me his contant info last week, so I'm trying! :)

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

last time I saw Damon Foster he was on one those "real video" tv shows putting some scorpion his face, looked like it was at some sort of comic conventions.

I wonder if he has some extra vids for sale?

Guest HAZ74

Hi,

When can we expect to see Super Inframan and The Water Margin? Are those expected in September or maybe in the fall?

thanks

h

Guest gfanikf
WAY ahead of you there! Damon was the first guy to give me a writing gig back in the day, but we lost touch a while back. August gave me his contant info last week, so I'm trying!

Excellent :) . If any two men in this country know about Inframan it would be those two.

Linn do you know if Inframan will contain the two English. The Titra one and I supose the standard shaws one. I suspect the later must exist and it may make the film even GOOFIER .

Guest killer meteor

I hope The Water Margin has the extra footage from the US version - hell even the full edit! - and an interview with Uriah Heep. Well, maybe not the last one...

Inframan will have one English dub and Water Margin will have the extra US footage and dub, but not the entire edit.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Hey Linn, this inquiry might have been addressed in an earlier thread, so sorry if it's redundant. Will Image be featuring an English subtitle option, in addition to Chinese and English dubbed audio? I'd certainly love to hear that English subs will be included, since many prefer sub over dub and it adds to the entertainment experience. Some of the major studio DVD releases, such as Fox and Sony/Columbia Tri-Star, are offering English subs as an option to their martial arts titles, in addition to Chinese/English audio.

Guest Isfahani

Hmnn I wasn't aware that InfraMan had two dubs.

Can anyone tell which one is which? I have the standard VHS-to-DVD boot of it that is in trading circles.

(recently corrected the aspect ratio on this too...)

I have an InfraMan US release poster, Linn. What should I do with this so as to help?

Guest killer meteor

I assume the US has better voice acting, whilst the standard uses the regular bunch. If it's like the US Godzilla dubs, there may be some genuine Asian actors doing the dubbing but I couldn't say for sure

scan it and send it to me. As for the dub, it's only a guess there was a HK dub created for this. I've never heard it and don't know of it really being out there.

Archived