FURIOSA (2024)

Drunken Monk

George Miller’s back with a prequel to what is considered one of the greatest modern action films. And this one looks very much like it follows suit… 

• Like 3

Chris Hemsworth talked a bit about his character, the villainous Warlord Dementus:

“He’s a very violent, insane, brutal person that is born from the Wasteland, which is the world where the Mad Max saga takes place. He’s a product of his environment.

There’s an intensity to him, there’s a brutality. He’s been birthed into a space where it’s kill or be killed, and he’s learned to rule with an iron fist.

There’s a charisma to him. It’s a very manipulative charisma. This is something we talked about a lot in this film. In order to have people follow this character, there needed to be something for them to latch onto.

He has the answers as far as, ‘Here’s the reason for your problems, here’s the individual you need to blame, follow me and I will lead you onto higher ground.’ It was a lot of fun to play with, it’s something very different that I hadn’t experienced before.”

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

The second trailer is MUCH better. This looks pretty fucking awesome. 

• Like 1

starschwar

The Metal Gear fan part of my brain reacts strangely to "The Man Who Sold The World."  I hope this means Guitar Guy is getting an origin story in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

Koravec
Posted (edited)

Mad Max rant: I dont get it. My ‘critically acclaimed movies only’ movie friend was just trying to hype it up for me. 
I dont see the appeal of a wasteland desert of bald crackheads driving steampunk vehicles recklessly and dying left and right.   Its just overall so tacky and doesnt engage me at all. I didnt enjoy watching Fury Road, and I feel like its direct ripoff of Dune, just with ghetto rigged vehicles, is way understated.  Let the attacks to this post begin haha.

And I actually liked Waterworld and Mortal Engines quite a bit 🤷‍♂️. way better representations of vehicular steam-punk/crust-sewer-punk for Me at least

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, Koravec said:

Mad Max rant: I dont get it. My ‘critically acclaimed movies only’ movie friend was just trying to hype it up for me. 
I dont see the appeal of a wasteland desert of bald crackheads driving steampunk vehicles recklessly and dying left and right.   Its just overall so tacky and doesnt engage me at all. I didnt enjoy watching Fury Road, and I feel like its direct ripoff of Dune, just with ghetto rigged vehicles, is way understated.  Let the attacks to this post begin haha.

And I actually liked Waterworld and Mortal Engines quite a bit 🤷‍♂️. way better representations of vehicular steam-punk/crust-sewer-punk for Me at least

Everyone’s allowed to have their own opinion. If Fury Road doesn’t appeal to your tastes, that’s fine! It can’t win everyone over. I have a buddy who doesn’t like the film at all. He finds it bland and a chore to sit through.

I actually love the world of Fury Road. It’s really interesting to me both as a huge universe with all types of characters and an oddity. I also thought the action was stellar. If Furiosa delivers much of the same, I’ll be happy.

• Like 2

Meh! Besides some great and lengthy action scenes and Chris Hemsworth seemingly having a blast as villain. I personally thought this was really average and once again (god I'm so tired of repeating myself here over and over again) way too long!

And even the action scenes aren't without fault as some of them are paired with pretty bad CGI. What is it with these million dollar blockbusters and bad CGI these days?

'Furiosa' pretty much is a testament to everything wrong with Hollywood. At least for this humble observer. I'm out!

• Like 1

Super Ninja

I really don't see why Furiosa tanked at the BO. Until the very beginning of the movie, me and my friend were the only two people in the theater and it's only been showing for a week and a half. There was a bigger crowd on Spring Breakers, crazy but true.

Furiousa is not Fury Road, but even with its flaws it's an above average movie. Calling it anything less would be an offense to Miller. There are moments of pure genius in there, part of the movie I liked even more than Fury Road and was blown away by how incredibly brilliant what I'm watching is. If I'd get to describe just one director as a visionary filmmaker, I'd go with George Miller.

Yes, the CGI is irritating and Miller's undercranked scenes can be off putting (didn't really notice them in FR), but the world he created, the characters, the costumes, the details, the ideas, the compositions, the dialogues, the vision... that could have only been conceived in a mind of a brilliant man.

I know he only expands on the world created 40+ years ago and perfected 10 years back from now, I was just never this immersed in this furiously wild, octane, post-apocalyptic universe before. Furiosa made me think I should definitely go see Fury Road again (it's being re-released this year) because I might have missed how uniquely brilliant it potentially is, I just wasn't blown away when I first watched it.

My initial doubts that Hemsworth and Taylor-Joy aren't the best casting choices... I was proven wrong real quick. 

So, while I can't say Furiosa kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and it's not a well rounded, perfectly paced masterpiece that it promised to be at one point, a damn good chunk of it is the best thing I've seen this year.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 6/4/2024 at 6:52 AM, Super Ninja said:

I really don't see why Furiosa tanked at the BO. Until the very beginning of the movie, me and my friend were the only two people in the theater and it's only been showing for a week and a half. There was a bigger crowd on Spring Breakers, crazy but true.

Theres more creativity in the first 30-minutes of Furiosa, than you get in most 2-Hour plus Hollywood movies. It was by no means a perfect film, but it get the thumbs up fro me. I strong female lead, but minus all the modern P.C flag waving crap. They could have given a nod to Tom Hardys Mad Max in the final credits. It appears they dropped a brief shot of him and his car into the later part of Furiosa?. Also cool to see a still strong looking Richard Norton among the extras in some scenes.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Theres more creativity in the first 30-minutes of Furiosa, than you get in most 2-Hour plus Hollywood movies. It was by no means a perfect film, but it get the thumbs up fro me. I strong female lead, but minus all the modern P.C flag waving crap. They could have given a nod to Tom Hardys Mad Max in the final credits. It appears they dropped a brief shot of him and his car into the later part of Furiosa?. Also cool to see a still strong looking Richard Norton among the extras in some scenes.

Yeah, that was Max in that one blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot. Which character was Norton?

• Like 1

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Yeah, that was Max in that one blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot. Which character was Norton?

He's one of Immorten Joes guards in a few scenes, one with him holding a gun just over Joe shoulder in his high rise mountain home. Hainvg only viewed the film once, its hard to recall when and where the scene occurs. Me and the friends I went to see it with spotted him. He's got half of his face covered in black face paint.

• Like 1