The end of August

bubbabgone

Okay, coming up among the must haves in the 2nd August batch there are also these ...

Hell Has No Boundary

Coward Bastard

The Delightful Forest

Anyone know anything about these?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's stars Liu Hsueh-hua, she was in The Lady Assassin, Hong Kong Playboys, and Holy Flame of the Martial World and Derek Yee. It's a horror film, never seen it though. I will purchase it along with House of Traps, Life Gamble, and Magnificent Ruffians.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
It's a horror film, never seen it though. I will purchase it along with House of Traps, Life Gamble, and Magnificent Ruffians.

I'm in.

Hell Has No Boundary (never seen this film. Yueh Hua's in it as well, horror flick you say, fingers are crossed)

House Of Traps (finally a version where you can read the eng. subs)

The Magnificent Ruffians (arguably the best venom's flick)

Life Gamble (great attitude flick with an all star cast venoms an all)

The Delightful Forest (the first uncut video release that I'm aware of anyway, great Ti Lung flick)

Ab exspensive Shaws release week right there. All save for Hell Has No Boundary are must haves IMO and maybe even Hell Has No Boundary as well. We'll see.

Guest fusheng007

Delightful Forest(1972) is sequel to Tiger Killer and prequel to Water Margin.

Essentially it's Ti Lung playing Wu Song, the events after he killed his sister-in law's lover and before he becomes part of the 108 heroes in Water Margin.

Delightful Forest is an excellent Chang Cheh/Ti Lung film. It's Ti Lung at his finest and COOLEST,(pre Chu Yuan) showing he can carrying a film on his own. I would say one of his signature films.

Wu Song is in jail, but the officials don't want to punish him, they use him to bring down Chu Ma at the Happy Forest. He does so but later is betrayed.

The film should run around 95 min, I have the original Mandarin audio dub uncut.

The German version has the climax heavily cut.

It's great scene at the end of the film with Ti Lung chained with big square(don't know actual name) when he's ambushed and he kills them all. The final massacre by Ti Lung is great too when he fights Chu Ma. Another highlight is when Ti Lung must stop off every inn to drink 3 BIG BOWLS of wine before he descends upon Happy forest to take out the garbage in Happy Forest with tune of Duck You Sucker(the James Coburn theme)

The film's score effectively uses Morricone's Once Upon a Time in West and duck you sucker. Keep in mind I saw this before the Once Upon a time and duck you sucker. The German version replaced the score with something else.

Overall, highly recommended.

Does it have the look and feel of a 1972 film?

Consider a point of reference to be, say, Trilogy of Swordsmanship, the 3rd part of which also had Ti Lung held in the big square stocks.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
how fluid is the fighting in Delightful Forest? Better or worse than Water Margin?

Better. You will be pretty pleased with Delightful Forest is my bet.

Guest NinjaForce
how fluid is the fighting in Delightful Forest? Better or worse than Water Margin?

Delightful Forest is a superior film to the Water Margin in many ways including the fighting ( IMO ), Eventhough it only features Ti Lung as Wu Song, (and I think the Inn keepers may also be Heroes of the Water Margin. It’s a film classic which transcends the standards of “72â€. And the main reason for this ( IMO ) is to do with the fact that Ti Lung, coming from a background in real and practical martial arts ( like Chen Kuan Tai ) was far more expressive earlier on than most of the others ( like David Chiang, who always looked right for the times ), when the choreography was more basic artists like Ti Lung had the ability to transcend the standards of the time.

For me through films like Delightful Forest you can see the potential of future complexities that Liu Chia-Liang and Tang Chia would bring to the genre in later years ( ie; Heroes Two etc ). I love the Water Margin, it’s a cool film and also because you’re getting to heart of the Water Margin experience, even if it is mainly focused on David Chiang’s character. However Delightful Forest is at a whole different level. Ti Lung brings the attitude, the skills and the vengeance!!! The finale is no joke. ;)

Guest oldeschool17

thanks guys for the replies.. but lets throw another movie to compare it with. Last one, i promise! How is it compared to All Men are Brothers?

Guest Agent Orange

These are the ones i will buy %100. I have a few to back order but im going to go ahead and get them all at once.

August 23rd

House Of Traps (1981)

Hell Has No Boundary (1982)

Delightful Forest, The (1972)

Magnificent Ruffians, The (1979)

Life Gamble (1978)

Archived