The Killer (2023) Netflix David Fincher - Michael Fassbender

Drunken Monk

David Fincher's new movie is out on Netflix and it is great. Fincher is a surgeon among filmmakers and once again his direction is so precise and smooth it makes The Killer a pleasure to watch. Adapted from a French graphic novel series, The Killer uses a well known failed-assassination-attempt premise that Fincher plays with and creates a slow-burning action thriller that profits from its smart script, superb cinematography and a soundtrack filled with songs by The Smiths. Also, Trent Reznor composed additional music for the film. You could make an argument it's somewhat generic, much like its title, but Fincher is having fun with the material and manages to create something slightly different. Stylish thriller from the man who made one of the genre's finest.

Who'd a thought that one of my favorite fight scenes of this year would be delivered by David Fincher and Michael Fassbender.

And yes I'm not joking nor was I under any influence of legal or illegal substances during my viewing tonight. Or at least that's what I kept telling the pink elephant in my room... Wait, what!?

Anyhow, The Killer really turned out to be a very positive surprise. It's basically Fassbender talking to himself for almost 2 hours but that didn't bother me for a minute (pun intended).

Amazing what they did with such a simple revenge story. Honestly there isn't even much plot here. But they way it is executed is just so good! Highly recommended.

• Like 1

This one is getting mixed reviews, it seems. Me? It’s one of my favorites of the year. Just a good old fashioned revenge/hitman thriller that’s perfectly executed by Fincher.

I’ll admit, the voice over in the first ten minutes irked the shit out of me but after a while I got used to it and ended up loving everything by the end.