14 Amazons - praises/comments/and a gripe

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

Finally got around to watching this stellar cast of Shaw ladies doing what they do best - kick butt :)

Ivy Ling Po was great as the leader of the pack and she pulled it off so well, I didn't even care that this was normally the role a male actor would play. She handled the character as good as any male would have.

Lily Ho's character could have been a nuisance but again, she handled it very well. My only problem is why did the subs keep referring her as a "he?" I can understand a typo but they emphasized that she was a boy/son several times and I don't get it. Its not like she was masquerading as a boy and others were confused about her sexuality (i.e.: Fu Sheng/ Tien Niu in Brave Archer).

Li Ching... what can I say? I looked for her in every scene. What a sumptuous set of lips and one of my favorite Shaw ladies. And she was kicking some major bootie in this film. My kind of woman!

Bolo, oh poor Bolo. I've said it before and I'll say it again but can Bolo get some respect? Let him win a fight already. Every time I see this poor guy, he might get the upper hand early but then ends up getting pummeled by the end of the film.

I do have to give this movie respect for one of the craziest stunts I've seen - in any film. That human bridge thing was quite surreal. Me? I would've just walked around that gorge until I found a new bridge (the wooden kind).

My only (major) gripe is the awkward editing of this film. The other week I watched the French film "Breathless." That film used jarring edits throughout the film but that's what the director had intended as it was part of this avant-garde, new-wave cinema that popped up in the late 50s/early 60s. In 14 Amazons, it just looked sloppy.

Overall, I highly enjoyed this film and it'll definitely get put on the list of films to rewatch.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
My only problem is why did the subs keep referring her as a "he?" I can understand a typo but they emphasized that she was a boy/son several times and I don't get it. Its not like she was masquerading as a boy and others were confused about her sexuality (i.e.: Fu Sheng/ Tien Niu in Brave Archer).

Er, she WAS playing a teenage boy. A ridiculous bit of Peter Pan miscasting IMO. Apart from that it was a great film.

My only (major) gripe is the awkward editing of this film.

it came from all the cuts in the print the HK disc used. There was quite a bit cut from this release in HK. The French release added more in according to a review of the DVD, but there was some blood left out that was in the international cut of the film. As for bit about she/he, I had no problem with it myself. It's a very common Chinese tradition of females playing males in productions.

Guest Markgway

Yeah, but it made me uncomfortable thinking a male character was cute. :P

Seriously, Lily isn't masculine in the slightest. They could've cast any young Shaw male actor in the role and it would've worked.

the point was to shoehorn another female into a role in the film. Also it would have been strange if Lily was missing from the film at that time.

Guest Markgway

I don't see your logic, since there are other men in the film. If it had been an all-female production fair enough. But the fact that Lily's character is the only male left in the family should have have meant he stood out, but it doesn't work, as Lily as she looks could have played any of the sisters. I guess it was a gimmick that seemed like a good idea at the time. Shame we're stuck with it.

the point of the entire production was that it was a showcase for the Shaw females. There's other men in the film yes, but the point was to feature the female actresses of the time. If Lily had not been in it, that would be leaving out one of their major stars.

Guest Markgway

I think you're missing my point...

I'm not saying Lily shouldn't have been in it... she could have played any of the sisters.

To have her play a teenage boy just so she could have a big role is a bit much...

no I agree. I just think the mindset from the Shaws was put her in there no matter what. And if you give her a strange role, which she won a best-actress award for, all the better.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hope when Image releases this film, it will be uncut.

Otherwise is the extra footage significant enough to warrant purchasing the French DVD?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Killer Meteor

Ivy Ling Po won a Golden Horse award for Too Late For Love. She was trying to diversify rather than keep on playing male scholars. If you like good storytelling or tearjerkers, this is the movie for you.

Guest Ching li

I know this movie was to showcase all of the shaw bros actresses, if that was the case why wasn't ching li or even lily li for that matter wasn't casted in this movie?

Guest drunkenmantis13

Watched it for the first time also a few weeks ago. I found it much better than i expected. Quite moving and epic in all senses, plus loads of nice action/acting! Just a top Shaw production.

I watched the French version. I used to have the IVL which i didn't watch but i think the runtime was the same excluding PAL/NTSC...

the French disc did NOT use the uncut print that played there. It was the same cut version used by IVL for their release.

Secret Executioner

This is IMO one of the greatest from Shaw Brothers (a top 5, if not top 3 film for me). I love the characters (Lily Ho as a teenage boy may seem off but I find her cute acting all tomboy-ish, Ivy Ling Po kicks ass but with such a pretty face, some of the secondary characters are nice too like Fan Mei Sheng and the villains are great in the downright bastards they are - plus, they look the part), the story is very well-put and kept me on the edge of my seat (okay, I've only seen it once), the action is brilliant (epic battle scenes, great fights) and gets creative (the human bridge)... So much great stuff.

Actually, except for Lily Ho somewhat bugging me a bit (the difference between an adult woman and a teenage boy... Though I liked the character, which I guess is the point) and some very harsh scenes (though they contribute to make the deaths of the villains even more satisfying), I don't recall this movie having any flaw. And it had a relatively happy ending (if we leave out all the Chinese prisoners, anonymous soldiers and central characters we saw die - sometimes in horrible pain - earlier).

I started watching this movie a couple of years ago and never got that far into it. Haven't finished watching it yet. I hope to revisit it at some point.

Is this movie actually available in any uncut/original cut form ? As far as I know only the Korean tape is uncut ?

That's part of the reason I'm still holding out to watch this for now :wink:

Just watched the English dubbed version of this last night. I can see what people like about it but for me I finally learned I don't enjoy Wuxia.

I am at least pleased I now know what a Wuxia film actually is:smile:

Don't care for One Armed Swordsman? Avenging Eagle? Kid with the Golden Arm?

And are we sure this is actually cut, and not just another example of unfortunate framecutting? I know some fights have pretty oversped rhythms, but it didn't strike me as worse than other framecut casualties of the genre.

I havnt seen any of those yet I mostly have been preferring Taiwanese productions to date, there is something about the cheapness/rawness I enjoy

and thanks Coldbishop, your Shaw brothers thread over at Criterion forums is where I finally learned what a Wuxia film is!

Archived