Book of Heroes (1986)

blue_skies

Something I downloaded off YouTube a while ago. The movie was okay, kind of boring between action sequences and some bad comedy. Oshima Yukari was very good as always, and one of the leading ladies was good , the other was just a pretty face and clearly had no moves taking me out of the action. Good to see Kurata again. Not a movie I would likely watch again

• Like 1

Yukari Oshima, Shoji Kurata and taiwanese beauty Elsa Yang do action well but time between fights is near pain to watch. For those who love acion comedies.

I have vcd too, terrible movie except action.in book there is same kid as in Magic Crystal he was impressive for a brat. I would buy Book too but it is not a movie hoping to get released. There are loads of better flicks with Yukari.

15 hours ago, Bruce said:

Speaking of Hong Kong classics that not everyone may agree is a great (or even good) movie ... any chance of Book Of Heroes getting a decent release any time soon? I've got it on VCD but nothing to watch it on at this point! I'm not saying it's right up there with Project A or Millionaires' Express but Book Of Heroes is still kind of fun with Yukari Oshima giving the action scenes all she had & goofy, slapsticky style humor to boot, I'd like to see it get some love from someone like Eureka! or 88 Films.

Thank you Bruce for your positive words about "Book Of Heroes". Even if ChillyChong's critical words are not entirely unjustified, in my opinion the film stands out from the average HK martial arts actioner. The reason for this is the really excellently staged battle scenes. And there really are a lot of them. In addition to Yukari Oshima, Elsa Yang (we'll soon see her in "Challenge Of The Lady Ninja" from Error4444) but especially Pauline Lan Hsin-Mei can show what they can do. Even if I repeat myself, here is the link to the fight scenes again. Fantastic stuff.

The other movie with fantastic fights from Pauline Lan Hsin-Mei I know of is "Funny Family":

For once I would agree to a bundle with the two films, Eureka. :smile

• Like 5

ironfistedmonk
22 hours ago, lastninja said:

Thank you Bruce for your positive words about "Book Of Heroes". Even if ChillyChong's critical words are not entirely unjustified, in my opinion the film stands out from the average HK martial arts actioner. The reason for this is the really excellently staged battle scenes. And there really are a lot of them. In addition to Yukari Oshima, Elsa Yang (we'll soon see her in "Challenge Of The Lady Ninja" from Error4444) but especially Pauline Lan Hsin-Mei can show what they can do. Even if I repeat myself, here is the link to the fight scenes again. Fantastic stuff.

The other movie with fantastic fights from Pauline Lan Hsin-Mei I know of is "Funny Family":

For once I would agree to a bundle with the two films, Eureka. :smile

Never seen this one, I need to now those scenes are quality

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Never seen this one, I need to now those scenes are quality

Unfortunately, the two films are not easy to get. Not to mention a HD version. I'm lucky enough to own the VCD's (see photos from my collection). Of course, the image quality isn't amazing. It's just a VCD.

Maybe there is an opportunity to put together a HD version based on a Chinese TV version. Heard that there are a few people in this forum who have badass Video/Audio-Kung Fu skills.

Book Of Heroes Foto1.jpg

Book Of Heroes Foto2.jpg

Book Of Heroes Foto3.jpg

Funny Family Foto1.jpg

Funny Family Foto3.jpg

Funny Family Foto3.jpg

Edited by lastninja
  • Like 4

there also was a nice looking, but sadly fullscreen cropped, South African DVD with English dub only for BOOK OF HEROES (Impact Video, now apparently gone with all their other great rarities)

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 10/30/2023 at 1:54 PM, Bruce said:

Speaking of Hong Kong classics that not everyone may agree is a great (or even good) movie ... any chance of Book Of Heroes getting a decent release any time soon?

Wrong country though, ‘Book of Heroes’ is a Taiwan flick.

• Like 1

ironfistedmonk

Look what I found, my memory is getting really bad :sad

Watched it last night, action is pretty darn good, although I doubt this will see the light of day in the west with some of the jokes towards the end about Eugene Thomas

IMG_0234.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Watched it last night, action is pretty darn good, although I doubt this will see the light of day in the west with some of the jokes towards the end about Eugene Thomas

yes, quite rough language but subs are no problem can always tone down to be more politically correct. Watched it again today although skipped most of comedy but action is good indeed. Very unexpected moment when police chief jump kicks lawyer:monk_laughing:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I haven't seen FUNNY FAMILY.

I actually think "Funny Family" as a whole is weaker than "A Book Of Heroes". There aren't as many fight scenes as in "Book", therefore you get more bad humor. However, the fight scenes that are there are first class and above average.

When you say "mixed category", that's pretty accurate. :smile

• Like 3

in terms of action, BOH rivals any HK production, IMO.

Yukari never looked better, she really shines here. The comedic part is pretty bad and forced. I have a custom LD rip - arguably the best version out there in SD. Never seen an HD version but would love to find one

Funny Family is much weaker, I don't think it even worth tracking down

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D1 Ma said:

in terms of action, BOH rivals any HK production, IMO.

Yukari never looked better, she really shines here. The comedic part is pretty bad and forced. I have a custom LD rip - arguably the best version out there in SD. Never seen an HD version but would love to find one

Funny Family is much weaker, I don't think it even worth tracking down

I liked most part yukari proves her worth against henchmen.so swift scene.

• Like 1