The Mondo Macabro Blu-ray Thread

whitesnake

sifu iron perm
On 6/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, Yihetuan said:

Me too. Jared made it a point to say The Warrior Trilogy will be reasonably priced unlike some of the other boxsets coming from other boutique labels of late. I think this will be one of the more underrated releases of the year.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 09-59-12 Mail - James Harding - Outlook.png

Funny that as my total with currency transfer was £43.40.

Yihetuan
30 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Funny that as my total with currency transfer was £43.40.

Not all of us have access to money laundering schemes :evilgrin

• Haha 2

Yihetuan

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :BL-Yell:

screenshot-x.com-2024.07.12-18_44_47.png

screenshot-x.com-2024.07.12-18_42_44.png

• Like 6

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

When is Warrior /Barry shipping brother?

Jared said they should start shipping this week since he posted this last week.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22-34-33 The Official Mondo Macabro Thread - Page 1138 - Blu-ray Forum.png

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 7/13/2024 at 10:46 AM, Yihetuan said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :BL-Yell:

One of the most entertaining Toei films ever made! I've seen this countless times on DVD and in 35mm and it never ceases to amaze. Tetsuro Tamba is perfect as a nihilist samurai wandering in a surreal ero-guro Japan and fighting ninjas and naked female bodyguards. There's sex, there's nudity, there's incredible visuals, fantastic fights, and heads, legs and arms literally flying through the screen in the bloody action scenes. Ishii's best film, one of the TOP 3 Pinky Violence films, and the best thing after Lone Wolf and Cub for a violence chanbara.

2.jpg

• Like 7

Super Ninja
22 minutes ago, Takuma said:

One of the most entertaining Toei films ever made! I've seen this countless times on DVD and in 35mm and it never ceases to amaze. Tetsuro Tamba is perfect as a nihilist samurai wandering in a surreal ero-guro Japan and fighting ninjas and naked female bodyguards. There's sex, there's nudity, there's incredible visuals, fantastic fights, and heads, legs and arms literally flying through the screen in the bloody action scenes. Ishii's best film, one of the TOP 3 Pinky Violence films, and the best thing after Lone Wolf and Cub for a violence chanbara.

2.jpg

Damn, I knew it must be good if @Yihetuan is so excited about this release, but after reading these words I'm fully convinced I must get it as well!

• Like 6

MobFu1972
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Damn, I knew it must be good if @Yihetuan is so excited about this release, but after reading these words I'm fully convinced I must get it as well!

It is a must for me as well...... I have seen clips and great reviews of this for years. I have the follow up film on Blu-ray and is quite good 🥋🐉👊🐲👍🔥☯️‼️

Screenshot_20240717_140719_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by MobFu1972
Spelling error
  • Like 4

ChillyChong

It seems Warrior has started to ship. Won`t hold breath though, I was on time when it went live but pc froze so was checkout at 5 mins since it began. And considering one man does shipping and lot orders arrives in first minutes+international mail(+clearance at local custom) takes time OK if have it in 1 month. If sooner all the better.. Eventually won`t watch them in chronological order but start with one I want to see most.

• Like 1

Yihetuan

Jared mentioned that next month's announcement will include a Japanese and an Indonesian film. All worldwide debuts on physical media! So might had to dig deep in the vaults for these two.

• Like 3

Yihetuan
On 7/14/2024 at 9:10 PM, sifu iron perm said:

When is Warrior /Barry shipping brother?

I received my shipping notification email yesterday, so you should be getting yours soon if not already.

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I received my shipping notification email yesterday, so you should be getting yours soon if not already.

Thank you for the update Brother. 

• Like 1

ChillyChong

Got shipping notification on 20th and after that there has been no action in tracking. Well I knew it will be slow but on situations like this start to appreciate company like FedEx even more who deliver order in a week. I haven't watched Special Silencers yet but should do it while waiting for Warrior. Trailer looks wicked.

Yihetuan

Announcement #2 is the 1986 Indonesian horror/fantasy THE HUNGRY SNAKE WOMAN featuring Suzzanna.

GVCjIAIa0AAHom3.jpg

GVCjIAJbEAAkd2s.jpg

GVCjMdOaEAIwUza.jpg

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

It seems that I'm officially in my sleaze era, because Tokugawa Sex Ban sounds right up my alley. 

• Like 2

Great to see Tokugawa Sex Ban coming! Reminded me about this great bit from a Norifumi Suzuki interview (in Sugisaku and Takeuchi's Pinky Violence book).

Sugisaku: "Because Sandra did not use maebari (crotch tape used in Japanese productions to cover the performer's private parts), your film became “Tokugawa Maebari Ban”. (laughs)"

Suzuki: "She said "Why should I put it on? It’s perfectly natural [to be naked]". I think Sugimoto was influenced by her because she stopped using maebari, too!"

Click image for larger version  Name: 101755289_3174639089224328_8587716804032331776_n.jpg Views: 0 Size: 528.5 KB ID: 437440

Also, an interesting bit of trivia: the film was originally set to star Reiko Ike, but she quit Toei all of a sudden to become a pop idol. Suzuki recalls the story in a very amusing fashion his book Toei Guerilla Senki:

“One of my favourite movies is The Barefoot Contessa, which depicts the turbulent life of a girl played by Ava Gardner, who becomes a star with the help of a third rate Hollywood director played by Humphrey Bogart. Thinking about it, maybe I was a third rate director who did his best to bring up a nameless delinquent Reiko Ike.”

“I was staying in a guest house in Meguro when producer Kanji Amao barged in with a newspaper in his hand. “Reiko Ike to become a singer, refuses to take nude roles anymore. Quits Toei, joins the same music company as (idol) Saori Minami” the scoop said."

“Japan’s Humphrey Bogart stood in silence.”

Suzuki, producer Kanji Amao and screenwriter Masahiro Kakefuda then had to decide a new star in a hurry, and that's how Sugimoto landed her first starring role. From the same book:

“But who should replace Ike in Tokugawa Sex Ban? There was no time to scout a new actress. We got together with producer Amao and screenwriter Kakefuda and narrowed it down to two candidates: Yayoi Watanabe and Miki Sugimoto. “

“I was pretty much decided on Watanabe. She could act and she had a bright personality and a beautiful smile. I had always thought I’d use her for a big role some day. She was a small, typical Japanese girl with transistor glamour - such a word existed back then - [note: 1959 buzzword referring to a woman with a small body build] and would make a great contrast with the tall Sandra Julien. Watanabe was sweet, unlike the dark delinquent girl like Sugimoto.”

“Then I asked Kakefuda, who had sat silently all this time, what he thought?”.

”I really want to see Sugimoto in the role” Kakefuda said. “I’m ok with either one, but favouring safe over a sense of adventure? That’s unlike you, director Suzuki…”

”That’s right, director Suzuki without an adventurous spirit has no charm…” producer Amao added.”

“… and the stream just kept flowing towards Sugimoto.”

“Let’s show some professional spirit and get this film done” producer Amao said. “Let’s promote Miki to a new leading lady. Runaway Ike will be surprised, too! “

note: these are my own translations from the Japanese text and may not be 100% accurate.

• Like 2

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

I was listening to the new Severin podcast and Jared was saying that they have a nice Indonesian title that he can't quite announce as of yet but it will be released next year. Also, Jesse from Neon Eagle dropped that even more wild Toei films are on the way. I'm curious about the batsh*t crazy Yakuza film?

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 11-24-39 The Official Mondo Macabro Thread - Page 1149 - Blu-ray Forum.png

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 11-31-33 Neon Eagle Video - Page 25 - Blu-ray Forum.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1