The Mondo Macabro Blu-ray Thread

whitesnake

8 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Disappointed that Special Silencers is only available in a bundle for the moment, gonna have to wait till Halloween.

yes, sorry for the misinformation. Guess i didn't read the "bundle" flash sale part. Oh well, Halloween is not too far away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

yes, sorry for the misinformation. Guess i didn't read the "bundle" flash sale part. Oh well, Halloween is not too far away.

Please don't apologize, you make me feel bad. My complaint was aimed at MM. This was the first time I waited next to my computer to preorder the moment the sale starts, so was kinda let down by their decision. But you're right, Halloween is not that far away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Please don't apologize, you make me feel bad. My complaint was aimed at MM. This was the first time I waited next to my computer to preorder the moment the sale starts, so was kinda let down by their decision. But you're right, Halloween is not that far away. 

Definitely don't want to miss out on the red case of this title even if a cheaper standard release will follow. So I'll be there on Halloween with you ready to pounce!

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

You have to give some slack to MM guy tho. One man does all the shipping, it will be effort to pack all those 750 bundles it`s understable he did not want to lauch single items to store at same time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

You have to give some slack to MM guy tho. One man does all the shipping, it will be effort to pack all those 750 bundles it`s understable he did not want to lauch single items to store at same time.

Didn't know, thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:14 PM, Yihetuan said:

@Super Ninja, Special Silencers goes on sale tomorrow.

Day 3 of the HALLOWEEN SALE announcements brings us to something we’ve just been bursting at the seams with excitement about here at MM HQ. Indonesian cult films are near and dear to our hearts, and it’s been too long since we unleashed one on the unsuspecting public. But now, after years of searching and negotiating, we can finally bring you …

SPECIAL SILENCERS (1982)

Special Silencers is a legendary entry into the Indonesian “cult film” cannon. Chock full of crazy martial arts, unbelievably yucky special effects, a touch of black magic – and even torture by smelly shoes. This one has got it all.
The film was never, to our knowledge, released theatrically outside Indonesia and the only English friendly version was an old VHS released in the Netherlands in the 1980s, cropped to 4:3 from its original scope aspect ratio and with on-screen Dutch subtitles. That VHS generated a huge buzz in film collecting circles once its content became known. This was a period when much crazy Asian cinema was circulating, but Special Silencers was always given pride of place, alongside obscurities like Witch with Flying Head.

The plot is simplicity itself. A corrupt politician in rural Indonesia wants to impose himself as the boss of the local territory. To do this he has to eliminate the competition. To do that he uses his “special silencers” - small red pills apparently intended to enhance meditative states. But when taken with food or drink they erupt inside the victim’s stomach and emerge through the flesh like ragged, blood covered tree branches. It literally has to be seen to be believed.
But that’s not all… the film features the dynamic duo (soon to be husband and wife) of Eva Arnaz and Barry Prima. Big stars in Indonesia at the time and both skilled martial artists. Seeing Eva kick bad-guy ass is a joy to behind. She, along with Barry, was one of the jewels in the crown of Indonesian exploitation cinema and Special Silencers has lots of her.

This is the first ever release of the film in its intended aspect ratio and it’s a revelation, with widescreen, jaw dropping real-time action and stunt work. Director Arizal was famed for his high energy set pieces in films such as The Stabilizer and Final Score. Here he outdoes himself.

Not to be missed.

DISC FEATURES

Region Free
HD restored feature supplied by Parkit Films
Extended version of film with a few SD inserts
Indonesian audio with optional Eng subs; English dub
Mondo Macabro episode on Indonesian cinema
Audio commentary by Andrew Leavold

LIMITED EDTION FEATURES

Double sided sleeve with new artwork by Justin Coffee and original poster art;12 page full color booklet; 1500 numbered copies in the usual red case

On sale as part of the FLASH PRE-SALE on Friday, October 20th at 9 AM Pacific at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com, and again as part of the HALLOWEEN SALE bundle from October 31st at 9AM also at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com!

Click image for larger version  Name: 393355661_980720080191741_1041531767221734578_n.jpg Views: 0 Size: 510.7 KB ID: 422099

Click image for larger version  Name: 393015302_980720116858404_1046780378449583987_n.jpg Views: 0 Size: 567.8 KB ID: 422098

I searched for this on the website but nothing came up.

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

I searched for this on the website but nothing came up.

yeah, the flash pre-sale bundle is over with. You won't find Special Silencers up for sale at their webstore until Halloween day.

5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

yeah, the flash pre-sale bundle is over with. You won't find Special Silencers up for sale at their webstore until Halloween day.

My sister just asked me what I wanted for Crimbo, and she needed a link. So I used their new website address. I found it there.

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

My sister just asked me what I wanted for Crimbo, and she needed a link. So I used their new website address. I found it there.

Nevermind, I understand what're your saying now.

Edited by Yihetuan
deleted original reply

On 5/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, Yihetuan said:

Ditto regarding Special Silencers. That's one of my most anticipated titles upcoming from Mondo Macabro. I really hope they do release this year as planned and there are no delays.

Screenshot_2023-05-29 NEWSLETTER #17.png

Holy crumpet! I never searched for this and initially I was going to pass as I saw a lot of western names being mentioned on the front cover.

But I went ahead and swnt my sister the link to the website last night.

I've only just seen this post about it with the pictures. It looks as gory as Peter Jackson's "Braindead".

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Holy crumpet! I never searched for this and initially I was going to pass as I saw a lot of western names being mentioned on the front cover.

But I went ahead and swnt my sister the link to the website last night.

I've only just seen this post about it with the pictures. It looks as gory as Peter Jackson's "Braindead".

You can watch the NSFW trailer here:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I rather not if its all the same for you. I'd rather have your recommendations mate for bat shit crazy Asian films of a certain genre.

14 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I rather not if its all the same for you. I'd rather have your recommendations mate for bat shit crazy Asian films of a certain genre.

Suit yourself or shoot yourself (yes, it's a Kurosawa reference & not the 7 Samurai one either)

That looks interesting. As am not MM die hard collector who are after red case limited editions probably wait when Warrior boxset is released and get this to same order.

Suit yourself or shoot yourself (yes, it's a Kurosawa reference & not the 7 Samurai one either)

I feel watching a trailer spoils my mood. Some are hyped to bits, others not. Prefer to jump into a film blindfolded without knowing jack about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Definitely not my cup of tea ! And I don't even recognize Barry Prima !

• Haha 1

Preordered Special Silencers!

No trace of that discount though, 16$ for shipping. Don't really care, important thing is I secured my copy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

No trace of that discount though, 16$ for shipping. Don't really care, important thing is I secured my copy.

There was somewhere mentioned it applies to back catalogue only not for pre-orders.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

There was somewhere mentioned it applies to back catalogue only not for pre-orders.

Do you perhaps know if there are any plans to upgrade The Warrior and The Devil's Sword to BR? 

9 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Do you perhaps know if there are any plans to upgrade The Warrior and The Devil's Sword to BR? 

Warrior trilogy MM boxset for next year has been confirmed in their newsletter ~2 months ago or so. And american label Terror vision is reportedly releasing Devil`s Sword

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

From Jared A:

Once we get passed the sale, we'll start thinking about what we have in store for next year, but expect great things like CAFE FLESH, the [Barry Prima] WARRIOR trilogy, upgrades of the Greek exploitation/gialli films TANGO OF PERVERSION and THE WIFE KILLER, and Vicente Aranda's arthouse horror film FATA MORGANA, among many other delights!

Indonesian wackiness with THE DEVIL’S SWORD (1984), from a 2K scan of the original camera negative.

Edited by Yihetuan
sorry did not see @ChillyChong's post right above mine on my mobile
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

The discount was only for any additional titles you wanted to add to your order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChillyChong said:

Warrior trilogy MM boxset for next year has been confirmed in their newsletter ~2 months ago or so. And american label Terror vision is reportedly releasing Devil`s Sword

That it AWESOME news!! Thanks @ChillyChong!

41 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

From Jared A:

Missed those announcements, thanks!

35 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

The discount was only for any additional titles you wanted to add to your order.

Got it. I actually wanted to get Who Can Kill a Child as I absolutely love that movie, but I'll probably get it some other time. 

33 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

That it AWESOME news!! Thanks @ChillyChong!

Missed those announcements, thanks!

Got it. I actually wanted to get Who Can Kill a Child as I absolutely love that movie, but I'll probably get it some other time. 

It is not too late yet. As it is in stock old item shipping is $5, for pre-orders it is $16. If you had added it to Silencers total shipping would have been $17.50 so 3.5$ difference if you buy separately 16$+5$ for postman.

I am thinking do I need anything from MM store, those prices and cheap shipping they beat Wowhds free shipping with 15% code off from 3 or more items.

"

One new thing for this sale will be a DEEP discount on shipping rates. The new pre-orders will have the same shipping rates as usual but everything else will SLASHED! While rates vary a little bit depending on the item, all retail Blu releases and all DVDS will have the following shipping fee structure -
US - $1 first item, 0.25 for each additional item.
Canada - $3 first item, $1 for each additional item.
Everywhere else - $5 first item, $1.50 for each additional item."
Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 2