Liu Chia Liang's finest film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Iron Boat

I disagree, Fu Sheng was necesarily lighting up the screen, 8 Diagram is a great film because the focus was on Gordon Liu. Had the focus been on Fu Sheng I dont think it would of been nearly as good. It would of been decent but not classic film that it is today.

Guest rindge

8 diagram pole fighter

martial club

heroes of the east.

I agree with the last poster on fu-sheng. Fu-sheng could not have carried the movie the way Liu did.

Rindge

Guest Chinatown Kid

Alot of people put down Drunken Monkey but I enjoyed that film as well even though it wasn't among his best. Also, even though he didn't direct(David Lai did), I thought he did a great job playing the Kung Fu Master in Operation Scorpio opposite the also incredible Kim Won Jin.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Mad Monkey Kung Fu has an awesome opening scene when Liu Chia Liang displays his skills in a drunken malaise of acrobatic feats, guys awesome.

Guest kungfusamurai

I think most people would be inclined to say 36th Chamber because it is like the Citizen Kane of kung fu films in that to say it's NOT the best film would be kind of sacreligious.

For me, personally, I believe his best film is the one I can watch over and over again without feeling the urge to fast forward through the film to the good stuff. Well, even if I do that, the fight scenes I never get tired of. I'm referring to Executioners From Shaolin.

I don't know what it is about EFS, maybe it's because it made such a huge impression on me as a child; perhaps it's the Pai Mei character, who is such a menace, like a mount everest that the hero(es) must over-come, and I don't think there was ever another LKL film with such a brutal bad guy. He just seemed so unstoppable. And the way he was finally taken care of was totally unexpected and brilliant.

Also, the film contains some iconic moments that most people usually think of when they recall seeing some old kung fu film back in the day and don't remember the name of it. The scenes involving the pressure point dummy with the ball-bearings is the scene most people I know who aren't die hard martial arts movie fans, but remember seeing back in the day. Also, the death of Gordon Liu at the beginning of the film, standing up, is also a memorable moment. Hung Sze Kuan's inability to avenge his master, and then the aforementioned triumph by his son are also 'iconic' moments.

I don't think there is any other LKL film with so many iconic moments AND characters.

So again, for me, LKL's finest film:

Executioners From Shaolin

KFS

Guest shaolin student

I'm waiting to see how good the new movie will be before I declare which movie was his best. Even though there are alot of them.

Guest Egocentrik1

a scriptwriter(in Hongkong) has been paid and the script made everybody happy...shootings wont start this year but locations will be in China and Vietnam...

The story is aboutLuk Ah Choy and the history of Hung Gar Kuen....Lau Kar Wings son (he was in Drunken Monkey the friend of Wu Jing) is confirmed to be in the movie...

there are still small chances that the movie wont happen but lets say its looking pretty good at this time...:rollin

I kinda disagree to "so many classics" but ones I really enjoy watching are Shaolin Challenges Ninja and My Young Auntie.I usually enjoy my movies more violent but those are perfect examples movie can be good without any1 get hurt badly.There is more liu movies I like but those 2 I can watch over and over again.

Without a doubt "8 Diagram Pole Fighter" is what I feel is LKL's finest. Just think how much better it could have been if Fu Sheng woulda been around through the whole production.

after fu sheng died I think liu should have deleted all scenes he appeared in and maybe shoot new footage with focus to hui ying.movie is good now but could have been better.

after fu sheng died I think liu should have deleted all scenes he appeared in and maybe shoot new footage with focus to hui ying.movie is good now but could have been better.

I think it would of been disrespectful to delete out what was essentially Sheng's last performance, I think it's what made the movie so dramatic and intense, you can tell Sheng's death affected everyone on the film, that's why the last couple fights burn with so much intensity, you can see it in their faces.

• Like 1

5 Element Boxer

His best masterpiece is either The 3th Chamber of Shaolin, or Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. Hard to decide which one is better. Both are great. But I think Gordon Liu gave his best performance (acting and action) in Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. So that would probably be my choice.

Challenge of The Masters and Martial Club.

I love all LKL films, and they all have their moments. But those two stand out for me, particularly Challenge of The Masters. That film had no annoying brats or stupid comedy to get in the way of what IMHO is one of the best WFH incarnations ever.

Martial Club was great too, although I rate it slightly lower than Challenge because Wong Fei-hung turned into a brattish show off at the beginning when in the previous film he had finished as a respectable grown-up. Though Martial Club does have what I think is the greatest one on one ever shot.

Graeme Noble

Heroes of the East, My Young Auntie and Mad Monkey Kung Fu.

Although the Phillip Ko vs. Gordon Liu staff fight in 8 Diagram is perhaps the greatest fight the man has ever choreographed.

Morgoth Bauglir

Although the Phillip Ko vs. Gordon Liu staff fight in 8 Diagram is perhaps the greatest fight the man has ever choreographed.

I prefer the fights that Lau himself participates in, like the finale of My Young Auntie and the bar fight in Lady is the Boss. And it doesn't get any better than this- http://youtube.com/watch?v=GAPRS-bsxQg