The Benchwarmers (2006) - Rob Schneider, David Spade, Jon Heder

laagi

Wow, how the hell did I end up watching this in the first place!? I mean it's definitely not the worst movie out there and overall has its heart at the right place BUT this was definitely bad.

It's amazing and should probably serve as a testament of time on what was (is?) considered funny in the early 2000's. Furthermore probably one of the reasons we don't see comedies any more is because the industry was literally flooded with schlock like this.

Also probably no surprise it features some of the main culprits of the entire industry in leading roles. Now don't get me wrong I did laugh a couple of times but not necessarily because it was funny but more often than not that I was just literally in disbelief! How somebody would spend money ($33 Mill!) on a production like this and that this actually had a theatrical run is just insanity to me.

Not to mention some of the jokes or whatever you wanna call it really aged poorly although I'm not one to care about that too much.

Funny enough we complain A LOT of how much dreck is thrown onto the big screen and rightfully so I'd argue but take a step back and you'll quickly realize this is nothing new at all. If anything 'The Benchwarmers' certainly seems a testament of that!

6 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Box Office - $65m!

Guess that explains the sequel! It's insane to think of how much dreck Sandler and his posse used to produce. And honestly I love the guy and he's proven time and again that he can act. So not sure if this entire comedy side hustle is just to keep himself and his friends busy.

Funny enough apparently there's even a series from 2022 with the same name. Although not sure the two (sorry three) are connected but reading from the synopsis.

"A trio of misfits experience life and all its misfortune from the bench of their final soccer game, waiting for the moment when one of them is finally allowed to play."

And to make this even more interesting there's been exactly one episode according to IMDB. So by all means a rousing success.

• Like 1

On a personal note @PandaPawPaw don't you just love and miss those good old times.

Using "retard" or "faggot" with impunity, homosexual jokes, inappropriate sexual advances, midget jokes, racial stereotypes...

it-was-another-time-randy-marsh.gif

Edited by laagi
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, laagi said:

On a personal note @PandaPawPaw don't you just love and miss those good old times.

Using "retard" or "faggot" with impunity, homosexual jokes, inappropriate sexual advances, midget jokes, racial stereotypes...

it-was-another-time-randy-marsh.gif

I need my lawyer for times like these................

seinfeld-lawyer.gif

outrageous-jackiechiles.gif

cm-punk-chest-get-off-my-chest.gif

Oh and I just don't get David Spade. What the fuck is so great about him. He always comes across as a big headed unfunny twat.

Also I think Sandler is soooooooooo overrated! He was good in The Wedding Singer/Waterboy and in more serious roles like Uncut Gems but everything else seems to be utter crap. I don't hate him but geez there's a lot of filler in his back catalogue.

I wonder if Heder got lucky with Napoleon Dynamite.

This was like a staple of comedy for me at the time haha. 

But man that ending with the loser in the basement scene made me soo uncomfortable that I felt scarred by it lol. So so weird. 

But yea its pretty ridiculous if your able to find a used video store with a comedy section the amount of 2000s junk they were churning out endlessly in that time period. So much tastless low brow crap, I wouldnt even say I hate it all though. If I had access to a library of that stuff Id probably be watching a bit of it. Love watching dumb comedies, particularly stoner-tinged stuff on summer mornings. 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1