The Kid With The Golden Arms

Guest Kwok Choi

Guest Kwok Choi

I wrote a cordial email to Sensasian regarding this thread and as promised the response came within 24 hours.

Dear Valued Customer

Thanks for your message and feedback

Thanks also for your continued support.We always try to do the best for our customers to our abilities.

Having read the posts on the bulletin board you moderate,the responses worry us in the sense that the buyers seem to be thoroughly rankled.As with most businesses there are customers who simply like to complain and we tend to refrain from participating in a heated discourse as it leads nowhere and may attract further barbs.Likewise we also have our fair share of customer accolades which we do not really sing loud about.

To address general concerns first.There is a misconception that we are slower than Hong Kong based stores because our administrative offices are in Malaysia.We have warehouse facilities in Hong Kong just like our Hong Kong counterparts and ship directly to our customers from the countries where the products are released in the same time as they do.Ditto for titles that we carry from other countries.We are also competitively priced when you take into account our free shipping offer.Some stores may price cheaper but do not offer free shipping.Others that do may price themselves higher.It is a matter of the individual store policy.We also reply to all emails with courtesy and in an expeditious manner.Customers who do not receive replies may wish to check if their emails to us have been flagged as SPAM or our replies to them have been treated in a similar manner.This is due to the prodigous amount of spam that is in circulation and is something we are unable to control.With regards to Shaw titles,please note that there have been problems with the distributor of late - titles are not selling well and they do not press as many hence there are delays in the production line and back catalogue titles take a long time to come in.These are circumstances that are beyond our control as we do not manufacture titles.

To address 2 particular complaints - firstly that of the poster vengeanceofhumanlanterns.He placed his order choosing to pay by Paypal.Paypal has been having system revamps of late - at least with our connections to them and we did not receive notification of his payment being cleared till a few days after the order was placed.The title Flying Guillotine is a back catalogue title and when we placed an order for it,the distributors assured us that it will be available.As we found out subsequently,it was not and when the customer sent us an enquiry,we pressed them and got the reply that it was out of print.We then proceeded to ask if he wanted a replacement.This to - and - fro in terms of email correspondence takes time and we did manage to procure and ship him his copy of The Fastest Sword,sending him a shipping confirmation.If he has received emails in a delayed manner or not at all - it may be due to the SPAM issue.

As for the poster Ivy Ling Po who chooses to get rather impassioned and personal when it comes to dealing with us I believe it is because I sent him a message declining to fulfil his orders the way he expects them to be fulfilled.He tends to be rather anxious and has many requests - many of which are impossible to fulfil for someone who orders very few titles.His criteria are quick delivery - like the very next day after a title has been released in Hong Kong which is not possible even for express courier shipments owing to custom procedures in Malaysia.He requests particular courier services which we do not have access to for reasons of custom clearance.He used to send multiple - as many as 5 in a space of a day with regards to a single order,cancelling it and then wanting to reinstate it again,fretting about whether his order for Category III titles are held back for inspection by Malaysia customs - again something we do not know nor can control.He doesn't acknowledge the fact that Hong Kong has a particularly long Easter break and in the final instance an order he placed with us which was released on Thursday, before Good Friday and which we lodged with the postal service could have been held up and tracking nos, are not released to us if the postal service does not process the shipment before the break.We finally declined to fulfil his orders for economic reasons in a courteous email (reproduced below) and no doubt he has been a regular poster flaming us on many boards since.You may judge for yourself whether the reply was impolite as he has mentioned.I have blanked out the email addresses and his identity for professional reasons.Kindly refrain from posting the replies online for the same reason.We see no reason to start a flame war on your board.

(point taken;the replies will not be included in this post.Kwok)

We would like to invite your community to try us out by offering all of your users a 10% discount on Shaw Brothers titles - so that you may judge for yourselves if we are truly up to scratch as an online retailer.If you would like to take this offer further please let me know and I will set up the discount links for you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I'd go for that discount.

But just for the record, and out of fairness, I've placed probably 7 or 8 orders from Sensasian over the last 3 or 4 years, for probably around 40-50 titles, and their service to me has been outstanding--never a problem, always good communication, and sending exactly what I ordered.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

First of I wanna thank Kelly (if indeed it were she -or he- who replied) for responding.

Kwok Choi, great work brother. That's what this forum's interests are all about. Though, they've stated a few explanations inconsistent with my experience with them, I'm happy they took our posts seriously.

Paypal has been having system revamps of late - at least with our connections to them and we did not receive notification of his payment being cleared till a few days after the order was placed.

I'm not sure i buy this explanation. 1. "your payment was successful" was posted immediately upon completing the paypal transaction. I've never had a problem with paypal or having to wait for a paypal payment to clear. Everywhere else I purchase these Shaw titles, they always send an email confirmation by the following day. So no word in four and a half weeks until I contacted them is like hugh?

The title Flying Guillotine is a back catalogue title and when we placed an order for it,the distributors assured us that it will be available.As we found out subsequently,it was not and when the customer sent us an enquiry,we pressed them and got the reply that it was out of print.

This little fact should have been flagged next to the title for one. Secondly, they never notified me with a confirmation of order placed, at all.

We then proceeded to ask if he wanted a replacement.

No-one asked me if I wanted a replacement. Four and a half weeks following my order, paypal delay or not, (I) contacted them with the suggestion as to whether it was in stock or not and asked them to replace The Flying Guillotine with The Fastest Sword. They never suggested anything of the sort. In fact, what I originally posted about my experiences with sensasian were exactly how they unfolded. I'm not so sure they would have even contacted me by now if I hadn't contacted them.

If he has received emails in a delayed manner or not at all - it may be due to the SPAM issue.

I receive my emails. The only email they'd sent me was actually on the morning (yesterday) of this post, where Kwock Choi, suggested emailing them this post. That email was confirmation of the DVD / The Fastest Sword being sent out that morning.

Now, I appreciate sensasian's rep. response being so detailed, and generously offering a 10% discounted, but they have to understand that when someone places an order on line with them (or any company) and they do not inform that person that their order is placed, out of stock, or of any sort of delays or misinformation listed on their site (out of print), that customer is going to be worried about if the process is going correctly. That's all.

Thank you Kelly (if it was you) for responding to our forum. It's greatly appreciated.

Guest Austin Jones

I'll stick with Yesasia first, DDDhouse second. I'm very particular about my orders as well, so I will not be using a company that even has a hint of pulling shenanigans. Just not worth the anxiety. >D

Austin Jones

Guest morgoth

I would be really pissed off if someone from a DVD selling site called me out when responding to someone elses email.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

If the 2 email I received from Kelly of Sensasian were courteous, my friends and I must have a really bad command of English to misunderstand the contents as we read them more than once in disbelief.

Expecting the parcel at my doorstep the very next day?

The issue was charging my credit card & then failing to ship. Despite my numerous requests, the tracking number was never sent.

Anyway, all that is behind me as I will never order from them again.Whatever service Sensasian failed to provide, the other online merchants has done so to my utmost satisfaction.

As for CD Wow,even though some of you experienced delays, they have always been professional and polite in their replies in all my dealings with them.

Guest oldeschool17

I agree that this list is incomplete. Im not disputing that these titles you guys claim could possibly be released in the future. However,what I asked from you guys was where is your source that the rights have been secured for titles such as Kid with the Golden Arm and any other titles you claim will be released by Dragon Dynasty. bobo, you essentially listed most of the titles i linked to and a few more thrown in to which im assuming you have speculated will be released. You did not give a source to your claims. I think its a bit premature to make an assumption that such titles are going to be released without valid proof. Otherwise, you're just providing false information and hope. I mean if we are going by Dragon Dynasty's "common sense", that would falter on such arguments of their pic/vid transfer quality in certain films, language options, subtitles/dubtitles, etc. Sorry guys, i hope im not being rude in my comments, its just something i feel needs to be addressed

Guest Kwok Choi

Thank you also guys for being understanding and calm about this issue.I will later on give an honest account of my dealings with:

Shaw Intercontinental

CD WOW !

Yesasia

Sensasian

HKflix and

Five Star Laser

I have heard many good things about DDDHouse and they were my first choice in 2002 for Shaw movies.I registered with them but unfortunately realized that they do not accept debit cards.Thats the only reason why they are not on the list above not for anything negative.

With the 10% discount Sensasian is offering to us,I'll have to confer with Admin,Senior Admin,The Mods,and the rest of our Members because I simply don't have the right to tell them to proceed with the link.I am also not an affiliate so once an agreement is made by the powers that be and yourselves in a democratic way,I'll then contact Kelly;yes it was Kelly who replied and made the offer.You see the next batch of Shaws coming out are just.....you know just......hmmmm.....well you see I think no one really wants to be messed about with anything to do with this batch so a lot of credibility from all parties (including our attitude towards online stores ) relies on this going smoothly.

Guest Austin Jones
I would be really pissed off if someone from a DVD selling site called me out when responding to someone elses email.

Ditto that.>: Sounds more like damage control than sincere explanations.:rolleyes

I for one am not in favor of a link to Sensasian on the board; they've done nothing to deserve it, in my opinion. Plus, I don't feel it would be fair to the other online sellers who have provided top-notch service and prices for months or years to many of us.

Austin Jones

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Morgoth and Austin Jones

I am in total agreement with you guys.

It wouldn't be fair to Yesasia, DDDhouse, Buyoyo, Play-Asia and other online merchants all of whom offer good service unless they too are alerted to this thread in which case they may also offer us a discount.

I must say I really don't mind being called out. In fact, it personalizes the the forum, in my opinion. Kelly hasn't offended me at all by calling me out. It seems to me she rather confirmed the few complaints I had stated.

Well, my opinion is that if people don't want to buy from Sensasian via a discounted link, then no one is forcing them to. But aside from the fact that I've been happy with Sensasian's service, I appreciate every vendor who goes out of their way to make things up to a customer who is dissatisfied, and I respect the Sensasian rep for reaching out to our little community. I think we've all had our fill of companies that couldn't care less whether you're satisfied or not, and would never offer you a discount (or even respond to you).

And as far as being fair to the other vendors, if they care about our business, then they can offer us a similar discount, and I imagine the moderator would be happy to post those links here as well.

Guest natoral

Just be glad sensasian haven't found this board yet.

They like to use fake posters to schill anything they sell or at least they use to on asiandvdguide and kfcc before they got banned.

Guest Austin Jones
They like to use fake posters to schill anything they sell or at least they use to on asiandvdguide and kfcc before they got banned.

Yet another reason not to get too chummy with them. I'll pay the extra 10% in order to have peace of mind when ordering. Again, I don't think having an arrangement with a distributor that has more negative than positive reviews is in the best interests of the board, but that decision is not mine to make.

FWIW, DDDhouse shipped the latest batch yesterday evening. ;)

Austin Jones

Guest drunkenmantis13

Could we have a thread about where to buy? I mean listing the prices, speed, shipping costs/speed, availabilty of different places, service, etc. Because with CDwow out, i have no clue where to buy from.

YesAsia? PlayAsia? DDDhouse? Sensasian? HKflix?

Also which of these take Paypal?

Strangely it seems PlayAsia would be the one giving me the best price at $12 plus some $2 shipping...And i know they have good service. Anything better?

Back on topic i'm not to keen about Sensasian but if they bring us their 10% i'd surely try it out at least once.

Guest Kwok Choi

Shaw Intercontinental

I bought a bulk of 14 titles from them back in 2003.The prices were in HK$ a lot more expensive than what we are paying now.All the titles were listed as being in stock and the transaction went well but there was no tracking order.Shipping however was a killer which amounted to more than half the total of the order at the time.It took about a month for the order to arrive.As there was no correspondence in-between I contacted them to find out if all was ok?.They were very polite and told me they couldn't get hold of 2 of the dvds and that they have a policy of completing the order before it is dispatched.About a week later I received the full order neatly securely packed and no problems with the discs.

CD WOW!

I discovered CD WOW! afterwards and found them to be very reliable,super efficient,cheap,free shipping and mails the dvds individually so they can go through your letterbox when you are out saving you from the inconvenience of visiting the local recollection points.I've bought 90% of my Shaw dvds from them and have good rapport with customer service.However they have been picked on lately and dealt a severe blow.The whole debacle is a real shame because this was one of the best online stores out there by a long shot.

Sensasian

Whenever CD WOW! was out of stock, Sensasian came to the rescue.Yes I'll have to admit that it was just a substitute because unlike CD WOW! you paid for shipping at the time therefore making Sensasian a little expensive.The dvds were competitively priced but the added shipping costs which were not too high by any means gave CD WOW! the edge.Delivery is a bit later as well for known reasons so this is expected though not late enough to cause any alarm.I also order 10+ titles mostly at Sensasian and generally have never ever had any problems or disappointment with them of any kind and now that CD WOW! is shakey,I am seriously contemplating making Sensasian my main supplier.

Yesasia

My second substitute for CD WOW! I have used them a few times with positive results though pricier than CD WOW! and Sensasian.You pay for shipment but service is good and delivery time to the UK is about the same as Sensasian.My only gripe is for Yesasia to have a dedicated tab for pre - release,newly released and previously released titles of Shaw movies on their website without too many searches otherwise I've had no problems with them whatsoever and everything else has been good.

HKflix

Good in my opinion for rare stuff though controversial in places for stocking titles from dubious labels.Ordering from The States for obvious reasons takes a hell of a long time to arrive in the UK;earliest one month if you are lucky but HKflix surprised me with availability and 2 weeks delivery of Kiss Of Death and another title.Haven't ordered from them since but definitely will if the need arises.

Five Star Laser

Found them by chance when I was looking for an English subbed dvd of Jet Li's fearless while it was still showing in theatres in the West.Only one Amazon seller and Five Star Laser listed it as in stock.As I was about to travel abroad in a couple of days, I opted for express delivery and amazingly got the dvd in 4 days.It was subtitled indeed but with such hilarious typing errors as if the whole subtitling process had been corrupted in Klingon.This I think had something to do with the EDKO vs Mei Ah version (both legit but the EDKO originally had no subs and perhaps someone tried to be smart).I quickly emailed them about the issue and was swiftly sent another copy but it had the same problem.Anyway I travelled but when I returned there was another dvd that was ok and had no problems and they even let me keep the other discs so would you say this was kind of alright?

DDDhouse I haven't used but hear good things,ditto Buyoyo.

Well it seems there are various other factors that can mar an intended good service from our online retailers so it will be good to have clarification about these before or maybe after placing your order depending on it's significance.

I still have not received The Fastest Sword. Sensasian.com I will never use again.

I've ordered over 200 Shaw DVDs in the last year and a half alone at first from Poker Industries (who were a bit inconsiderate about transactions so), then very soon afterwards from Five Star Laser, which can receive their copies of new releases a little later (only a few days and this was only in the last 2 or 3 months) than some of the other online retailers, but I'd always received email confirmation of order successfully placed and they arrive within 5 days upon being shipped. Five Star's a US retailer so over seas might take longer.

dddhouse seem to receive their copies of new releases the earliest and they are very dedicated to actually posting their pre-orders with DVD cover shots an all. It takes a few extra days (3) to receive my DVDs from their distribution warehouse, but they are very good about contacting when shipped out and delivering the goods in a timely fashion

On another note in the last month or so Celestial has been extending release dates. Perils Of The Sentimental Swordsman was actually held back until the second half of the month release date. Is this what's up with Kid With The Golden Arms?

Hopefully they follow through with their entire 2007 to be released catalogue.

Guest Feng Gang

I've only ever used Shaw Intercontinental and I admit the shipping is a pain the in ass. I once had a mixup where they sent me the wrong order and they handled it very well after "we" let them know. DVDs usually arrive in like 2 weeks with ground shipping... and some time within a week if it's priority. I really want to try a new company because these shipping rates pretty much double the price.

Archived