Baddies as Goodies

Graeme Of Death

Graeme Of Death

Can anyone recommend any films where your actors who usually play villains are cast as the good guys.

I've been watching Kung Fu films since the early 90s and probably forget more of them than I remember. It's difficult to remember them all when a lot of the time it's the same actors, on the same set, in similar plots.

My favourite bad guy actor has to be Fung Hark On. always feel he doesn't get enough credit. Just watched Warriors Two there from Eureka, and on watching the extras I don't think anyone actually mentions working with him once.

Can anyone think of any films where the likes of Fung Hark On, Dick Wei, Lee Hoi San, Chung Fat, Johnny Wang, Ku Feng, Lu Feng etc play a good guy character?

At the moment all I can think of his Johnny Wang in Martial Club isn't an out and out bad guy. Fung Hark On in Challenge of the Masters by the end isn't the full bad guy. Dick Wei in The Five Venoms.

Obvious one, but the usually insanely intimidating Hwang Jang Lee plays the scrappy protagonist guy in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha.

Dean Shek (usually a weaselly minor antagonist who causes trivial problems for protagonists in the first 15 minutes of a film, sometimes an actual villain like in Warriors Two) gets a rare semi-serious good guy role in 18 Fatal Strikes. 

Edited by SDJ
  • Like 1

Graeme Of Death
33 minutes ago, SDJ said:

Obvious one, but the usually insanely intimidating Hwang Jang Lee plays the scrappy protagonist guy in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha.

Dean Shek (usually a weaselly minor antagonist who causes trivial problems for protagonists in the first 15 minutes of a film, sometimes an actual villain like in Warriors Two) gets a rare semi-serious good guy role in 18 Fatal Strikes. 

Awe Dean Shek the man that can knock any classic Kung Fu film down a notch haha

I was forgetting about Hwang Jang Lee. Only seen a few of his films outwith the Golden Harvest appearances.

Chan Wai Man was good dude in Shaolin Handlock. Probably in his long appearance list there is more he was not playing baddie but don`t remember seeing him elsewere as good fella.

I'm sure he's been the good guy in films I haven't seen but Phillip Ko is definitely known as a villain and he is the goodie in Tiger Over Wall.

Chung Fat in Encounter of the Spooky Kind. He was the priest who help Sammo.

I haven't seen it in a while but I think Dick Wei one of the beggars in The Brave Archer Series

Dean Shek also plays a good guy (a policeman) in A queen's ransom.

Chen Hui Min plays a good guy in Chinese mack (or Martial arts, I don't remember the exact title), and in Chinese Hercules.

Long DO plays a good guy (a policeman) in Payment in blood.

Lung Fei plays a good guy in Cantonese.

Shan Mao plays a good guy in The invincible sword.

Ko Fei plays a good guy diagram pole fighter in Return of the hero of the waterfront, in Revenge is sweet (unless I'm mistaken for this one), Blood revenge, Ten brothers of shaolin, I will finally knock you down, Dad, and surely a lot of other ones that I haven't seen.

Addy Sung and Ku Feng play good guys in The four invincibles.

Ku Feng plays a good guy in The shepherd girl, Call of the sea, The twin swords, The sword and the lute, Operation lipstick, Dragon swamp, Ripples, The heroic ones, The master of kung fu, Water margin and All men are brothers, Killer clans, Death duel, Judgement of an assassin, Dynamo, crack shadow boxers, Ruthless revenge, Heroes shed no tears, Martial club, Tiger killer, and surely other ones that I forgot or have not seen.

• Like 2

Graeme Of Death
On 10/13/2023 at 10:08 PM, ShawAngela said:

Dean Shek also plays a good guy (a policeman) in A queen's ransom.

Chen Hui Min plays a good guy in Chinese mack (or Martial arts, I don't remember the exact title), and in Chinese Hercules.

Long DO plays a good guy (a policeman) in Payment in blood.

Lung Fei plays a good guy in Cantonese.

Shan Mao plays a good guy in The invincible sword.

Ko Fei plays a good guy diagram pole fighter in Return of the hero of the waterfront, in Revenge is sweet (unless I'm mistaken for this one), Blood revenge, Ten brothers of shaolin, I will finally knock you down, Dad, and surely a lot of other ones that I haven't seen.

Addy Sung and Ku Feng play good guys in The four invincibles.

Ku Feng plays a good guy in The shepherd girl, Call of the sea, The twin swords, The sword and the lute, Operation lipstick, Dragon swamp, Ripples, The heroic ones, The master of kung fu, Water margin and All men are brothers, Killer clans, Death duel, Judgement of an assassin, Dynamo, crack shadow boxers, Ruthless revenge, Heroes shed no tears, Martial club, Tiger killer, and surely other ones that I forgot or have not seen.

No idea how you can remember all those Shaw Brothers Ku Feng films haha. I watched Martial Club not too long ago as well, should have remembered that one.

• Like 1

Dean Shek plays a "good baddie" in the movie Ambush. I hadn't noticed him when I first watched this movie many years ago, but when I watched it yesterday, I was so pleasantly surprised to see him in a serious and fighting role !

Chang Yi is a bad guy in most of his later films which is how I first got to know him, but in the early part of his career he was always the hero. The change happens somewhere around the mid 1970's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, panku said:

Chang Yi is a bad guy in most of his later films which is how I first got to know him, but in the early part of his career he was always the hero. The change happens somewhere around the mid 1970's.

That's funny. The first movie I ever saw him in, without even knowing his name, was Filial son in a French cinema (and French language movie), and he played the hero.

I saw him in a lot of his early Shaws' movies as a hero when I began to seriously collect them in the 2007-2010, and I hadn't even recognized that it was the same actor I had seen in Filial son, until I discovered hkmdb and I checked his filmography.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, ChillyChong said:

Chan Wai Man was good dude in Shaolin Handlock. Probably in his long appearance list there is more he was not playing baddie but don`t remember seeing him elsewere as good fella.

He also played a goody in Freedom Strikes a Blow aka Chinese Hercules.

Bolo Yeung in Bolo, Shootfighter 1 & 2, TC 2000 and despite playing the villain in the first one, he redeems himself in Tiger Claws 2. 

Hwang Jang Lee in Five Fingers Of Steel

Yi Yuan is a good constable with a gooe heart and understanding in The fugitive 1970.

Chen Hui Min plays a good and surprinsingly funny good guy in I love Lolanto and Prince charming. I laughed a lot at his scenes in these movies.