The Iron Claw (2023).

PandaPawPaw

"The true story of the inseparable Von Erich brothers, who made history in the intensely competitive world of professional wrestling in the early 1980s."

I really liked the trailer and can't wait for this. The Von Erich story is so fucking sad!

Even though this is about the brothers in the 80s, Kerry died after his time in the WWF so I wonder if they will touch upon that at all?

• Like 2

306305348_380294484313931_4614010249795926027_n.thumb.jpg.ae595d1863b68aa6b1548a273997d87b.jpg

I think casting is good apart from Efron. He looks too short/bulky and fuck knows what he did to his face. I know he had an accident or something but it's like he asked for some extras during surgery.

• Haha 1

I think it's safe to say this film will be utterly heartbreaking. I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed the director's film, Martha Marcy May Marlene, a lot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

GOOD OLD TIMES!

Ultimate Warrior and Modern Day Warrior 💪

edit: I imagine Hellwig took a lot of inspiration from Erich. I remember in the warrior documentary he said he started growing his hair out and it reminded him of von erich. Almost as if he may of based part of his image off him. I mean I realize long hair wasnt uncommon especially for wrestlers though.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

But this doesn't even come out until nearly Christmas day I see? Looked up showtimes yesterday as if it was already out and was surprised.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koravec said:

But this doesn't even come out until nearly Christmas day I see? Looked up showtimes yesterday as if it was already out and was surprised.  

I googled the UK release date and - Release date: 2 September 2024 (UK). WTF!?

• Confused 1

Man noone came to back to review their thoughts on the film? 

Maybe just not a ton to comment on, being relatively straightforward of a movie. Wish they hadnt removed an entire brother, the depictions and likeness of each brother seemed more like an artistic direction than accurate ones. Overall really enjoyed, I was wrecked by the end of it. Appreciated the esoteric dreamlike ending. and of course the ric flair depiction was even more off than the brothers’

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

Thoroughly enjoyed it, watched it after work. Cried few times and Director missed a few opportunities like Korvavec stated  they missed a Brother out.

What a heartbreaking story this was. 

• Like 3

On 2/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Cried few times and Director missed a few opportunities like Korvavec stated  they missed a Brother out.

What a heartbreaking story this was. 

If it wasnt for having to go directly to work right after, flying down the road to clock in, Id of been crying my eyes out too, and thats unlike me. Had to fight kinda hard to hold back tears. Like I said Im not one to cry at cinema, or anything for that matter, and not that Ive even experienced what this family dealt with but it still felt like it resonated with me.

Edited by Koravec
lol guys stop pitying me already haha. sad movie, thats all. lol ——————————————-no more vvvv
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

What a fantastic movie! With mostly, I'll get to the in a minute, outstanding performances throughout.

A heartfelt family drama that delivers with a gut punch. Loved every minute of it.

Not just for Wrestling fans but anyone who just loves a good movie. Zac Efron is on top of his game here! He carries the movie on his giant shoulders and does so with flying colors.

Special mention has to go to the supporting cast as well. Holt McCallany delivers as the "cold" father figure.

Unfortunately somebody ( @PandaPawPaw pegged again ) felt like a foreign body every time she was on screen and that's Lily James! I don't know what it was but for the life of me something was off with her acting.

Other than that 'Iron Claw' comes with the highest recommendation!

Oh one last thing... a giant F U to the academy for snubbing this excellent film. Can't believe this shit, seriously!

• Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

Aww man I'll be watching it next week and I can't wait!

Even though Lily is cute I don't really rate her as an actress...................

55872021-10657809-Happy_She_couldn_t_sto

.................yeah she can't act.................................ahem.

• Buddha Bless You 2

21 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

.................yeah she can't act.................................ahem.

Old West Yes GIF by GritTV

• Like 1

americanpzycho

I just checked out The Iron Claw (2023), a film centered around the legendary Von Erich wrestling family and their supposed curse. It was a fantastic watch, but I'm a bit puzzled by the departure from the actual events portrayed in the movie.

Drunken Monk

Watched this one recently and absolutely loved it. I shed tears THREE FUCKING TIMES which is a rarity for me. Truly touching and at times, even harrowing. Fantastic performances by everyone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

PandaPawPaw

I finally got round to watching it and it was pretty solid! It was very well acted and filmed and they got the style down really good. The wrestling scenes looked authentic and were nicely done. I really wanted to punch the dad though! Stupid twat! Mikes brain damage was so sad! It's pretty shocking how he went in for a damaged shoulder to going into coma and then brain damaged!

The scene near the end when Kerry meets up with his brothers is so fucking sad but so well done!

The amount of tragedy in that family is horrendous and how Kevin got through all that, I do not know though it shows how strong he is.

I did have a few issues with it though.

While I think Efron was really good, I did find it a bit hard to get past his new face and roid belly and I have no idea what was going on with his hair.

Like @laagi, I too felt something off with Lily James even though I think she acted well throughout.

The biggest problem was the Ric Flair bit! WTAF! It was so fucking bad! Even the "Wooo" was awful! It brought back memories of Young Rock and the bad imitations in that! Seriously they should of done that way better as it really spoils the movie!

:rofl:rofl

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

One other thing I was surprised at was Kerry's amputated foot! How he was even able to wrestle after that is amazing!

A Moment in Time: Kerry Von Erich’s “Secret” Is Exposed -

"It was at the Showboat Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada during a TV taping for Verne Gagne’s AWA promotion. Kerry was wrestling Colonel Debeers in a one on one match. During the course of the contest, Debeers was on the outside of the ring, he unknowingly grabbed Kerry’s right foot and tried to pull him into the ring post when Kerry’s boot accidentally came off. His amputated foot was revealed to Debeers and several fans at ringside. Von Erich quickly grabbed his boot, jumped out of the ring and stuck his leg under the ring apron where he quickly put his boot back on.

Word of this incident started making the rounds with Kerry and the AWA denying that such a thing happened. It all started to make sense for the boys who wrestled because Kerry allegedly always came to the arenas already dressed to wrestle or he actually showered with his boots on. Legendary magazine editor Bill Apter tried to find out the truth about Kerry’s foot to which Kerry promised to show him his foot with his boot off at Superclash III in Chicago. That moment between Apter and Von Erich never took place.

The initial motorcycle accident and rushed recovery led Kerry to an addiction to several drugs. An addiction that found Kerry on the wrong side of the law several times. It also led to his divorce and eventual suicide. After Kerry’s death, Fritz Von Erich finally admitted what everyone pretty much knew: that his son’s foot was amputated.

For those wondering if a tape exists of his infamous match against Col. Debeers, nobody knows for sure. If it does exist then it hasn’t been released to the public. Some have said that the cameras weren’t rolling for that match as it was a’dark match’ before the actual tapings. Either way, a truly sad ending to a once-promising career."

That must have really upset Kerry even more and made him even more vulnerable. Keeping it a secret then being exposed by accident. :(

Edited by PandaPawPaw

PandaPawPaw

The other thing with Lily was that she's in these Sky Mobile ads which seem to play non stop in the UK so I kept expecting her to start selling me some Sky Mobile while comforting Kevin.

"Don't worry Kevin, it'll be alright. How about we got get some Sky Mobile for dinner"

PandaPawPaw

A Ric Flair comparison.

The real Ric Flair.

Nature+Boy+Ric+Flair.jpg?format=500w

The Iron Claw Flair.

1.jpg.d7ba4ced1b661687bea2120005d62d40.jpg

The Young Cock Flair.

1(2).jpg.ea729ac53ecf163a994d7ac9e2c1a8ab.jpg

The Strictly Ballroom Flair.

1(3).jpg.ac6c6c728d5987b01784f3febb99fd18.jpg

Yep I'll go for the last one (great movie too).

PandaPawPaw

I didn't know there was another Von Erich. Lance Von Erich.

Lance-Von-Erich-story.jpg

But he wasn't a real brother. Not that kind of brother but brother brother.

AEW wrestler MJF played him in the movie.

MJF-Zac-Efron-Iron-Claw-2.jpeg

"In October 1985, when Mike Von Erich was unable to wrestle due to toxic shock syndrome, Vaughan (Lance) went to World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) to take his place in the feud against the Fabulous Freebirds. He adopted the name Lance Von Erich and was billed as the son of Fritz Von Erich's "brother" Waldo. In reality, neither Vaughan nor Waldo were related to the Adkisson family or each other.

Kevin Von Erich, as well as most of the family, was adamantly against bringing Vaughan in as another Von Erich, but Fritz was adamant, especially as Kevin and Kerry were wrestling two or three times a day in various places throughout the Texas territory. The deception made the Von Erichs look like liars to their fans, who normally saw them as good guys who could do no wrong."