A Taste of Cold Steel

Guest Agent Orange

Guest Agent Orange

I saw this movie last night. I picked it at random because i have so many unwatched shaw brothers movies

sometimes im not sure what to pick up so ill give almost anything a chance depending on my tastes at the

moment. Was not disspointed but i have to be honest i expected to be. I dont have much faith in early 60's,

late 60's productions but it's funny im always being proven wrong after i finally decide to screen another.

This one has to do with 3 sisters who are mourning their father. In comes in a young man the son of the

emperor. He comes in with the facade as if he has come to pay his respects and soon this is found out not

to be the case. He is after ''The Violet Light'' sword to give to present to his father. He and a band of his

thugs once denied decide to take it and everything else in their own hands.

He is eventually beaten down by Shu Pei Pei, Essie Lin Chia and some other girl who i am not familiar with.

On the road back home alone. Beaten he stumbles upon a gang of Rouges ''the snake gang''. They

threaten to kill him when they find out he does not have any money. Each of them Demontrating their skills

in turn. One with a whip, another hammer clubs etc. One with a hunch back who can only seem to look up

from the side was particularly amusing. It is only then when he tells them he knows of something more

valuable than Jewels that he gets their attention.

He tells them of the three girls as if they were goddesses and of the ''Violet Light Sword'' a powerfull

gleaming sword with a purple glow cast whoever wields it. It is then when he finds allys. Together the 3

Sisters and Chang Yi fight back for their lifes and the respect of the family. They become seperated

among this tale and seek vengeance single handedly at times. Breaking into the royal courts slashing

everyone down demanding answers.

Fights were pretty standard, pretty cool story. B-

1157610583_big.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Actually, this film could have been better, but I do appreciate it. It's just so cool to have been able to see it at all in this quality. :)

Guest Agent Orange

Your right it ''could have'' been better. I couldnt find it in myself to just let it off with a C+ rating. Your right the transfer on this one was preserved very well.

This film is incredibly downbeat and (mentally) brutal (the fights are standard fare for a ~1970 film). Until the deus ex machina ending, nothing is easy for anyone, heroes or villians.

One standout scene is two prisoners of the gang being forced to fight each other (with their chains) for their lives in a ring of fire.

Highly recommended as a change of pace from kinder, gentler Shaws.

SamuraiDana

I watched A TASTE OF COLD STEEL and SWORDSWOMEN THREE back-to-back earlier this year. They’re very similar in terms of plot and structure, they were made the same year (1970), and they share two of the same stars, Essie Lin Chia and Chang Yi. TASTE was the weaker film, with a botched script in which Essie’s character does stupid things for no good reason. Its fight scenes were badly filmed, relying on too much hand-held camera, which meant the action was often blocked from view. It also had much more brutality and sadism than I’ve yet seen in a Shaw film. SWORDSWOMEN was the better film; the script made more sense, the camera was on a tripod, and the fights were staged by two of the greats, Tang Chia and Lau Kar Leung. It also had Lo Lieh as a smooth and crafty villain.

It also had much more brutality and sadism than I’ve yet seen in a Shaw film.
Yeah, that's pretty much why I recommended it. It's quite different in feel from most Shaws. For ex., characters aren't always popping up in fresh costumes, nor are heroes jumping in to save others regardless of the consequences. Shaws can be kind of formulaic, so it can be good to see one which isn't.

Archived