The Beekeeper (2024) David Ayer - Jason Statham

laagi

Super Ninja
13 hours ago, SamSeed said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as me. I know there are more complex stories out there, with shades of grey and moral ambiguity, but sometimes all I want to see it very bad things happen to people who are even worse, and The Beekeeper delivers that and then some. It looks like it's done pretty well at the box office too, so I hope it isn't too long before we hear news of a sequel. I did see Statham is teaming up with Ayer for his next film Levon's Trade, with a screenplay by Sylvester Stallone: https://deadline.com/2024/01/jason-statham-david-ayer-sylvester-stallone-amazon-levons-trade-movie-deal-1235805593/

Exactly that, that’s why I liked Saw X as much as I did. Movies are slowly becoming the only place one can enjoy justice being served. 

Levon’s Trade promises more od the same, but I’m still interested. Not as much as I’d be in a Beekeeper sequel though.

I'm gonna go against the general buzz and say this was pretty average. At times it's so dumb it makes you laugh!

Jason Statham is Adam Clay a one bee killing machine who eventually ends up trying to wipe out and I'm paraphrasing here "the defective offspring of the queen".

From start to finish the non-existent plot (secret society of beekeepers yeah whatever) is merely an excuse to see Statham waltz thru lines of enemies without as much as a sting... uhm scratch.

Leading up to the only highlight which sees Mr. Clay face off against a comic book character with a scottish? accent. Which fortunately is the ONE instance the action isn't cut to pieces.

Supporting cast is pretty bad with a few exceptions. Special mention however needs to go to Emmy Raver-Lampman. She's a caricature of an FBI agent and that's an understatement.

Overall 'The Beekeeper' doesn't offer anything I feel is worth discussing. In the end it's just a paper-cutout revenge story with lukewarm characters.

Statham looks old and tired here. Probably been doing one too many of these stinkers lately. I'd reserve this for a night at home with a couple of friends and lots of beer. Now it's a party!

This movie was over-the-top but in a GREAT way, and at the same time so entertaining! We have the new-gen babbling actors delivering cheesy lines and coming in with their own vibes that doesn't match the more seasoned performers at all, chuddy/bleak CGI for several shots, and (worst of all) the out-of-place costume design for the villains. Put that aside and we actually have a damn good action movie, with Jason Statham putting out his best action performance in years (last one for me was Wild Card) proving that he still got it. Time to get back to his older movies, it has been a long time now.

• Like 1