The Creator (2023) Gareth Edwards - John David Washington

laagi

Once again I'm baffled by the absence of a movie on this forum, I personally counted as one of my most anticipated of the year. Then again I'm aware I shouldn't probably hold myself as any standard whatsoever.

Watched this yesterday in Dolby Atmos. IMAX was my first choice and I implore anyone who wants to see it make it IMAX if you can. Unfortunately that auditorium was pre-occupied with 'The Nun II' of all movies. And before you ask @PandaPawPaw it's not that kind of nun you enjoy to watch :yociexp73:

Anyway, back to the movie. It looks and sound absolutely amazing. Hands down some of the most beautiful world building I've seen in a long time! Which doesn't come as a surprise since Edwards as opposed to a lot of modern movies decided to actually shoot A LOT of the scenes on real locations which among some of them included Thailand, Indonesia and Nepal. 

Green screen here is used the way it should be used to elevate a real life setting. Plain and simple at least that's how it's done afaic. 

The movie is divided into different chapters which I personally thought was a really nice touch. I would've gone as far as calling it a masterpiece. However it is during the movie last chapter which is heavier on action and drama where the movie lost me just a tiny bit. I just so wished they would've delved deeper into the entire AI thematic. There would've been literally so many things worth exploring. 

As it stands the philosophical part while raising some interesting questions never goes beyond the superficial and that is by all means a darn shame. Nevertheless 'The Creator' is easily one of the best SciFi movies in a long time and probably the best movie of 2023! And I didn't even touch on the phenomenal performances by our two leads, one of which is a 9 year! old actress called Madeleine Yuna Voyles. 

Do yourself a favour and if you have the least bit of interest in this, the subject matter or even just the genre go out, buy a ticket and watch it on the biggest screen you can find. We need to support this movies otherwise we'll be stuck in a neverending cycle of reboots, remakes, sequels, pre-quels, spin-offs and so on. I for one am sick and tired of the latter and want more original ideas on the big screen. 'The Creator' might not be perfect but it's definitely going the right direction. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

Interesting to read your thoughts, as I must say I've seen a grand total of 0 people talking about this movie.

I saw a couple of promos and it didn't entice me in the least, so perhaps not the best marketing? I can't say I'm surprised the general audience hasn't been paying much attention either.

For one, it would have probably been a good idea not to cast in the lead role someone generally perceived as a charisma vacuum nepo baby.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Agent U said:

Interesting to read your thoughts, as I must say I've seen a grand total of 0 people talking about this movie.

I saw a couple of promos and it didn't entice me in the least, so perhaps not the best marketing? I can't say I'm surprised the general audience hasn't been paying much attention either.

For one, it would have probably been a good idea not to cast in the lead role someone generally perceived as a charisma vacuum nepo baby.

Some valid points and yes marketing was more miss than hit which again is unfortunate to say the least. As for our leading man he was great regardless of who or what he may be. Just my two cents. 

Hope more will actually watch it on the big screen before it hits the home market. Would be a damn shame to see it anywhere else for the first time IMHO.