Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

Guest THE BASTARD

Lion vs. Lion wasn't that bad overall, as it had some really nice fights and decent lion dancing, but the ending was simply horrible. It's like they kill off Lo Meng only because he has died in just about every film he ever starred in, and after that it's just Wong Yue playing hide and seek with Wang Lung Wei. Very anticlimatic, but I don't regret buying it because of Chin Yuet Sang vs Wang Lung Wei and Lo Meng vs "Barbers". That was sheer awesomeness.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be one of a few who actually enjoyed LION VS LION but then it takes a lot for me to dislike these movies completely. I would like to think that Lo being killed was there simply for the fact that you don't expect it to happen thus leaving the far less skilled character played by Wong Yu to deal with Wang Lung Wei. The ending appears inspired by the ending of the spaghetti western ARIZONA COLT starring Giuliano Gemma.

I was not actually expecting much from "spirit of the sword" but no pleasant surprise this time...some nice sets and few OK swordplay scenes but characters were really uninteresting.main lead is so irrating before middle of movie I was praying he will get killed...

I guess this was 1st Chu Yuan flick I saw.Bad thing I still have at least Roving Swordsman,Jade Tiger and Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1&2 to watch..to make things worse all are originals so some money have been spent on them:rolleyes:...hopefully they are slightly better:eek:

edit...closer look to shelf revealed I have also Intimate Confessions(very good)&Killer Clans(Unseen)

Righteous Master

Last Hurrah For Chivalry- Average plot and average Action.

The Five Deadly Venoms- Fairly boring and not enough action. Below average kung fu. Not much kicking. The Toad is sweet though!

King Boxer- Average kung fu with a few action highlights. After I watched this movie I had to wonder why this movie made so much money and broke box office records. Came to the conclusion that maybe the graphic scenes were the talk of the town, which were not common until this films release.

It seems like it is hard to get the complete package in old school kung fu classics. I like my movies to have great kung fu, nice looking sets/scenery, characters that you can emotionally connect with and an above average story. Even though most films lack one of the above I still love classic kung fu! A movie that comes to mind that fits into this catagory is Fearless.

ironfistedmonk

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe the films that are getting slagged of in this thread, again!!!!! You guys have been too spoiled with the remastered films and are expecting some Citizen Kane masterpiece.

Last Hurrah For Chivalry is a Golden Harvest film and one of the greatest ever made, it's right up there amongst my favourite swordplay films (it may even be my favourite swordplay film)

Blood Brothers is undoubtedly Chang Cheh's finest all round movie, great story, acting, the whole shebang, it all comes together perfectly

5 Venoms has some great scenes and plot points, don't understand how this one has been getting such a rough ride since the IVL version came out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect those opinions but you guys have been giving some classics (and I don't use that word lightly) a right kicking :eek:

At first, the action seemed a bit slow in Last Hurrah, but as I watched it the second time, I realize that it is technically brilliant. Also liked the characters and plot very much.. it was quite original actually.

I saw 5 Deadly Venoms 1st time from Made In Hong Kong videotape 10+years ago and was expecting something totally mindblowing.well,it`s not that great.there are several better venom films.plot is fine but I felt also there was not enough fighting.lizard and student#6 should really have gone after wang"judge"lung wei and have great bout with him in the end.

"chivalry" is masterpiece,lots of interesting villains(sleeping wizard,praying mantis dwarfs etc...),great sets and music score is one of best in movies.

Archived