Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

Guest THE BASTARD

Guest Mr. Vampire
This thread makes me sad... Sure, I've seen some real clunkers, but this is not due to any hype or disappointment, it's just due to the fact that some of them are simply bad films! :)

I dunno, I don't get it either, and I don't have a list like this. Then again, I guess I don't pay attention to the "hype" as that would take away time better spent watching films.

I have seen 98% of the SB that Celestial has put out on DVD (all genres) and my list of "just didn't like it" is up to a whole four films now: Mr Funny Bone, Mr Funny Bone Strikes Again, The Bastard, and Blood Brothers.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Morgoth

Blood Brothers with Ti Lung and David Chiang? Seriously, you didn't like that movie? This has to be the most mind boggling thread on this forum. So many great movies listed on here, it is just crazy.

Guest Iron_Jinon

3 evil masters..humour is out of control and in most cases it`s dire one(most irrating scene is where yun tak dresses as girl and goes after money),plot has been seen 10000 times before and fights except opening kuan tai against masters and end where tak has great bout with wang lung wei are nothing special...but it`s the comedy which really kills this movie for me,director seemed need to add some comedy to the very last seconds.

this movie sure has it`s army of fans but 2/5 from me.

To me, probably the most disputed Kung Fu movie by way of opinion are, and have always been The Five Deadly Venoms series! But of course, this isn't the thread for that :D

Guest Morgoth
3 evil masters..humour is out of control and in most cases it`s dire one(most irrating scene is where yun tak dresses as girl and goes after money),plot has been seen 10000 times before and fights except opening kuan tai against masters and end where tak has great bout with wang lung wei are nothing special...but it`s the comedy which really kills this movie for me,director seemed need to add some comedy to the very last seconds.

this movie sure has it`s army of fans but 2/5 from me.

Wow when I predicted that eventually all of the very best Shaw movies would be listed on this thread I didn't think it would come true.

Guest D_Davis
Wow when I predicted that eventually all of the very best Shaw movies would be listed on this thread I didn't think it would come true.

The Master aka 3 Evil Masters is a damn masterpiece. Some of the best on screen kung fu ever filmed.

Guest iron flag

True. But if you're not into the comedy I could see where it may be dissapointing. I was bummed that CKT didn't fight again after that amazing opening sequence.

Guest Morgoth
True. But if you're not into the comedy I could see where it may be dissapointing. I was bummed that CKT didn't fight again after that amazing opening sequence.

he actually had 2 more fights, but they were too brief.

Guest Morgoth
Plus, the film shows a great pair of tits.

Actually, great pairs of tits. :D

One of those "fights" consisted of him getting his ass kicked all over the place by the 3 evil masters, right? ;)

Yeah, they cheated:mad:

Guest D_Davis
hey nice pics and review you put up for this movie. I haven't commented on that thread because I am just sittin back and enjoying it:D

Oh thanks mate! Glad you are liking it.

Guest Mr. Vampire
Blood Brothers with Ti Lung and David Chiang? Seriously, you didn't like that movie? This has to be the most mind boggling thread on this forum. So many great movies listed on here, it is just crazy.

There were aspects of the film that were, in fact, good, if not great. However, there was a major plot device that I found annoying to no end. And she didn't even have the decency to jump out the window towards the end...

But hey, four out of hundreds of films, not a bad curve. I even liked Crazy Shaolin Disciples.

Guest Iron_Jinon
The Master aka 3 Evil Masters is a damn masterpiece. Some of the best on screen kung fu ever filmed.

^that statement I find really hard to agree but then again these are just opinions,not ultimate truths.fight with wang lung wei is cool one but then again I do not remember seeing bad punch&kick exchange by him.his evil charisma and ultimate skill make every fight he is featured worth seeing and this is still not among his best.scenes where yuen tak wipes out wipes 2 other masters are very average.have seen worse but a lot better also.

between beginning and end what we have?kuan tai slaps taks original sifu and is killed by 3 masters.3 masters kick ass of fellow students of tak whose skill seem to be so poor even guy with no training would prolly kick their ass:p...and scene tak takes on 2 henchmen after they leave restaurant.what we have besides those?some training.not much I think,rest of the time is used for comedy...would humour has been toned down and have fu sheng instead of tak this`d be lot better movie.

Guest Morgoth
There were aspects of the film that were, in fact, good, if not great. However, there was a major plot device that I found annoying to no end. And she didn't even have the decency to jump out the window towards the end...

But hey, four out of hundreds of films, not a bad curve. I even liked Crazy Shaolin Disciples.

Yeah 4 out of 100's means you can stand just about anything, but I couldn't believe I saw Blood Brothers on your list. I loved everything about that movie, even Cheng Li's role. I escpecially love the scene where David Chiang and Ti Lung are fighting and she has to stand there and watch the trouble that she has caused. That movie hit me hard. it is definitly one of my favorite Shaw Brothers movies.

^that statement I find really hard to agree but then again these are just opinions,not ultimate truths.fight with wang lung wei is cool one but then again I do not remember seeing bad punch&kick exchange by him.his evil charisma and ultimate skill make every fight he is featured worth seeing and this is still not among his best.scenes where yuen tak wipes out wipes 2 other masters are very average.have seen worse but a lot better also.

between beginning and end what we have?kuan tai slaps taks original sifu and is killed by 3 masters.3 masters kick ass of fellow students of tak whose skill seem to be so poor even guy with no training would prolly kick their ass:p...and scene tak takes on 2 henchmen after they leave restaurant.what we have besides those?some training.not much I think,rest of the time is used for comedy...would humour has been toned down and have fu sheng instead of tak this`d be lot better movie.

I enjoyed the training in 3 Evil Masters. The relationship between Yuen Tak and Chen Kuan Tai was very well done. And while Yuen Tak may not be as good of an actor as Fu Sheng, I thought he played his part perfectly. I guess you either like his comedy or you don't. Like you said, it is just opinions.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The opening fight between Chen Kuan Tai and the 3 Evil Masters is awesome. Extremely well choreographed fight scenes right there. Beyond Chen Kuan Tai's scenes in the film I have to admit I'm not that interested in the film, though it is a decent film overall.

Blood Brothers is an epic masterpiece for Shaws standards.

Lion Vs Lion.

I will second to that...while fighting is good,rest of movie is total mess.it looks like very cheap movie,not effort used to sets.lion dance scene appears suddenly and seems to be not part of plot...if there is such....

wong yus clownmanouvers are as always in use,people who fight in opening credits dun seem to appear later.not at least in action scenes.wang lung wei is easily best character in movie but seems scripwriter did not create him strong personality.and lo meng desperadly needs his venom mates,outside fightscenes he looks like orphan...hell,waste of 18€

Archived