Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

Guest THE BASTARD

Guest Morgoth
Sorry but 36th Chamber is for me overhyped and the other two in the series underappreciated as they're much better than the first one IMO.

Maybe you don't like slower paced films, I dunno, but as you can see from my post I was much more surprised by 8 Diagram Pole FIghter being on the list of overhyped movies. I just need to breath in, and breath out, and I think I will be ok.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest will91XingYu

lol 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is one my favs but it's all personal opinion, for me another one was Chinatown Kid, it had all the venoms, Fu Sheng and Dick Wei and i found it really boring.

Guest Morgoth

I have only seen the 90 minute version, but Fu Sheng kicks serious ass in Chinatown Kid. He made Wang Lung Wei and Lo Meng look like weaklings.

Guest will91XingYu

Thats another reason why i didn't like it because Lo Meng, Wang Lung Wei and even Philip Kwok don't get to show off much, but i guess it was a Fu Sheng movie.

Guest Morgoth
Thats another reason why i didn't like it because Lo Meng, Wang Lung Wei and even Philip Kwok don't get to show off much, but i guess it was a Fu Sheng movie.

Yeah it is a fu Sheng movie, and he is on fire in his fights. definitely one of his best performances.

Guest sammofan
Heres some I think are really overrated

Executioners From Shaolin

Legendary Weapons Of China

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Vengeance(I think its a good movie, but ALOT of people will put it in their top 10s. I prefer The Duel)

5 Elemental Ninja

Masked Avengers,Daredevils and most other later Venoms films.

New Tales Of The Flying Fox

Since when was New Tales Of The Flying Fox hyped?:confused:

I thought I was the only one on this forum that really likes it. :D

I know that Peringaten really hates it! :P

Guest tarim69

Sammo

Mark Polard gives it a above average rating, but I had read a very good review of it elsewhere which is what made me mark it down to see. I dotn rememebr where since Im constantly lookign things up and its easy to forget where I saw this that or the other thing.

I hadent seen it before and was pretty disappointed by it.

Yea I know that 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a popular movie.

Guest Drunken Monk

I'm shocked to see a lot of these on people's lists. "Invincible Pole Fighter?" "Dirty Ho?" "Fight Element Ninja?" Still, whatever floats your boat.

I can understand getting criticized for my choice. I was disappointed somewhat with the over-hyped "Avenging Eagle." I was expecting an absolute weapons extravaganza and while, yes, there are lots of weapons I just felt the choreography fell flat for me in places.

"Heroes Two" let me down too. Granted, it was a well told tale but the whole film felt boring to me and the early kung fu action was blocky and awkward.

Guest Iron_Jinon

8 diagram is very good IMO,best liu movie..from start it is fine but it gets better when raving insane fu sheng character disappears(sad reason for that though:().scene where gordon shaves his head is cool and final showdown in room with coffins is extremely impressive.

Guest Drunken Monk
AVENGING EAGLE?!???!?!?!?!?

I need to stop reading this thread before I have a heart attack:p

Haha, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I still like the movie but it's hyped as being one of the best weapons films and me? I didn't see it.

Guest oldeschool17
Haha, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I still like the movie but it's hyped as being one of the best weapons films and me? I didn't see it.

I'll agree with this. Morgoth, pull up to the front of the hospital, they will valet park your car.

Granted there was a variety of weapons involved, but I dont think this was a technically skilled weapons bonanza by any means. Ti Lung is no Gordon Liu on the 3 sectional staff(if i recall, he didnt do any figure 8's or spinning behind the back action or did he?). What Avenging Eagle does have is an engaging plot and cool characters.

Guest Morgoth

Yeah I am not saying Avenging eagle is one of the best weapons movies ever(although it doesn't get better than Tong Gai using a spear), but I just don't see how it could be listed on a thread titled "most hyped, most anticipated shaw brothers disappointments". It won't be long before all of the very best Shaw Brothers movies are listed on this thread. My head is spinning so fast right now it feels like it is going to fly right off.

Guest Drunken Monk

Well it depends on the meaning of the thread. I admittedly was a little disappointed in "Avenging Eagle" simply because I was expecting a weapons bonanza. I was not let down its characters, plot, acting or back drops. In fact I think it's a good 4/5 film.

However, if this thread means what films were highly anticipated and hyped only to be completely shit movies then I'd have to change my original post.

I expected Gary Daniels' "Fist of the North Star" to be fantastic. Alas, it was the opposite.

Guest clfnole

Hate to disappoint but when Lau Kar Fai (Gordon Liu) is doing the flowers with the 3-sec behind his back (most notably in Heroes of the East) it isn't him it is Lau Kar Leung. If you read interviews with LKF he says he never even used the weapon before filming 36 Chambers.

As for this topic for me it was "Gangmaster" very hyped but Wai Ying Hung's brother in the lead didn't do it for me. Plus the overall story and action was just okay, kinda had an indy feel rather than a traditional Shaw feel. The movie was okay but it was really hyped by many, maybe becuase it was rare or there wasn't a good copy floating around.

Guest oldeschool17
Hate to disappoint but when Lau Kar Fai (Gordon Liu) is doing the flowers with the 3-sec behind his back (most notably in Heroes of the East) it isn't him it is Lau Kar Leung. If you read interviews with LKF he says he never even used the weapon before filming 36 Chambers.

As for this topic for me it was "Gangmaster" very hyped but Wai Ying Hung's brother in the lead didn't do it for me. Plus the overall story and action was just okay, kinda had an indy feel rather than a traditional Shaw feel. The movie was okay but it was really hyped by many, maybe becuase it was rare or there wasn't a good copy floating around.

hmm, thats interesting to know. ill have to view that again to see how they shoot that

Guest Endsang

Check Heroes of the East.. you can see that Gordon is doubled there, and it's probably his brother... typical LKL move. :) Gotta give to Gordon though, because he really handles the three-sectional staff well, and better than Ti Lung in Avenging Eagle in my opinion. Ti Lung wasn't bad, but he didn't look as confident as Gordon always does when performing some of the moves.

Guest D_Davis
I'm shocked to see a lot of these on people's lists. "Invincible Pole Fighter?" "Dirty Ho?" "Fight Element Ninja?" Still, whatever floats your boat.

This thread makes me sad. So many amazing movies seem to disappoint so many people. I don't get it. It's probably because I don't really have any hype at all regarding most of these. Most of the "popular" ones I've seen at one time or another when I was younger, and the ones I've never heard of before the remaster (like Five Superfighters which is an amazing movie) weren't really hyped at all. I just walk into the shop, pick up the new releases, take them home, and hope to have a good time. Sure, I've seen some real clunkers, but this is not due to any hype or disappointment, it's just due to the fact that some of them are simply bad films! :)

Guest teako170

Regarding the body double in HOTE...

A few years back I started a thread on this topic after watching the IVL disc for the first time. I posted a screenshot of the "double" and the consensus was that it was Lau Kar Wing. The giveaway that it was someone else was Gordon's bad hairpiece.

Nonetheless, a great film. One of Pop's best and I don't find this a distraction. Actually, just the opposite as its fun to discover new things about these films.

Guest wuxiawuxia

Don't mean to be a pain but I honestly think these three movies are overrated

1. 8th Diagram Pole Fighter (a bore for me, i seriously fell asleep)

2. Five Deathly Venoms (nothing spectacular, Masked Avenger is better)

3. King Boxer (Chinese Boxer which came out first was better)

Archived