Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

Guest THE BASTARD

Guest Chen Zhen
Shaolin Mantis- great love story and probably David Chiang's best kung fu performance.

i thought the story was pretty subpar actually.....i guess i was disappointed that Lau chose to fictionalize things and not follow the actual formation of the Mantis Fist kung fu style..David Chiang is great as always, but i think Lau Kar Wing stole the show.

Executioners- bedroom kung fu! And Kuan Tai and Lo Lieh are badass.

i love this movie.....but i can see why ppl dont like it. its a lil slow moving....and the guy playing CKT's son is annoying beyond belief..

Heroes of the East- do I really need to point out all the great things about this movie?

cosign 100%. in my opinion, this was Lau Kar Leung's best all around movie.

Dirty Ho- you have to see Kara Hui's fight if you haven't already and Lung Wei, Wilson Tong and Lo Lieh are superb in this.

this is personally my fav LKL movie...altho i must admit, the bit in the middle with Wong Yue fighting those weird ppl while in exile was pushin it....otherwise, fantastic action, especially the scene with johnny wang.

Return to 36th chamber- one of my favorite comedies. Not nearly as over the top as Disciples. There are also some touching moments. But of course this movie is one of the best cause of the end fghts.

not one of my favs..but a great movie. i enjoyed the action a lot, what little there was. not crazy about the pacing, but a good movie, and WAY better than the 3rd.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

I kinda agree with you on Shaolin mantis. I actually thought there was too much fighting! It was all good fightign though. My favorite part of the movie is the interaction between David Chiang and the girl.

Guest Iron Boat

Why does everyone keep saying Shaolin Mantis was David Chiang's best Kung Fu Performance?! IMO, The Loot is his best Kung Fu, and its a better movie to.

Guest morgoth

Just my opinion. He is also good in The Loot, but in Mantis it seemed like he was working harder and was more precise in his movements.

Guest shaolin student

I thought Dirty Ho was pretty good especially the end fight scene. A matter of fact I think it was one of the best fight scene ever made.

Guest venomchamber
Part of the big problem with Chang Cheh is this very thing, he gave too much of a chance to young directors. While it made him a great man, loved by everyone, in many cases his name was attached to films that were brought down by his co-director's lack of experence and the fact that Chang was often filming two films at once.

Exactly.

John Woo was one of Chang's first assistant directors along with Pao Hsueh-Li, followed by Wu Ma.

It is interesting to note that they achieved much of their later success with rival studios such as Golden Harvest at Chang Cheh's expense. Woo has made this claim himself on several occasions.

Chiang Sheng was often his assistant director during his venoms-cycle where they were churning out between 3 & 5 movies a year! But still, it would appear they were popular enough at the time to warrant such an output to appease the masses.

Why does everyone keep saying Shaolin Mantis was David Chiang's best Kung Fu Performance?! IMO, The Loot is his best Kung Fu, and its a better movie to.

The Loot is not a Shaw Brothers production and this thread is a Shaw Brothers post, so I assume they implied during his Shaw studios period?

Liu Chia-Liang is an expert on traditional kung-fu and a marvellous director as well. However, I too wish he toned down the comedy in some of his films, but comedy was a popular draw in the Cantonese film market at the time & made for good box-office. I believe we can thank Jackie Chan's success over at Seasonal Films for that. ;)

Incidentally, The Loot had some comedic goofiness in it as well.

Guest venomchamber
It was a lil too "gay" for me in certain spots

...don't forget Pai Mei's bathing scene complete with Lo Lieh's flying butt! :rollin

Seriously, great film though! :D

Guest venomchamber
....and the guy playing CKT's son is annoying beyond belief..

That was Wang Yu (or Huang Yu or Wang Yue or Yung Wang Yu)...Dirty Ho himself in one of his earlier roles. I'm surprised you didn't recognize him! ;)

Guest morgoth

actually, I said Shaolin Mantis is my favorite Chiang performance, and other people said the Loot was their favorite. I repect that cause Chiang is pretty awesome in that movie, I just don't agree with it:D

Guest Chen Zhen

ah! thats right that was him..

i think i knew that from somewhere b4, but at least he wasnt 1/10th as annoying in dirty ho as he was in executioners.....lord he almost ruined what was otherwise one of LKL's best films.

Guest pigmode

When I first discovered the Shaw Forum the main title I was waiting for was Black Tavern, one of the last Shaws I watched (sub-titled) in a theater. It has since been released, and its a winner.

Guest shaolin student

There are a lot of bad shaw brothers movies , but the one that is most disappointing for me so far is Rendezvous with Death. I was looking do forward to seeing this movie. I've heard so many good things about the movie that I just knew it was going to be great. Not only was it boring, but the action was weak as well. This is just my opinion, so I do not need a bunch of crap from anybody.

Even though I've given the movie a bad review...shaw brothers is still my favorite company for martial arts movies. they also have a great library of classic kung fu movies!!!

Guest chingdog

I am looking at this from the other side...I never did like Shaw movies that much although a few of the ones I had seen were very good. However, celestial has turned me on to alot of movies I would not have given the time of day. I can't say I like Shaw movies as well as some Taiwan flicks but I have to admit I was missing out on some good stuff. I really like the sword flicks alot better now than I did and also have become a HUGE fan of Yueh Hwa and Ti Lung. I still am not a Venoms supporter but maybe I will come around on them as well. I just try to go in with an open mind....

Guest Iron Boat

I agree, Rendezvous With Death, is definitley not one of the best films ever made, but at least its not Chor Yuen styled Clan Fiction.

Guest DAJIZZARIZZA

it's funny to me ,.. as i read all these titles put out by shaw bros. as disapointments ,..lol

these were movies made by the bunch ,.. these actors should had been exhausted ,.. they did not have stunt doubles .

anyway ,.. most of you guys that say these movies were disapointing ,.. what are you comparing them too ? lol

these movies were exactly what you would see in the operas ,.. but here you go ,.. it's on a large screen . i think you compare these movies to the new stuff out or something ... i read somewhere on this forum where people said "the kid with the golden arms" was disapointing ,.. what ?

that movie was tight ,.. down to the end.

only shaws i do not like are the horror ones ,.. they don't scare me ,.. and i can only imagine if i was high, off some drugs ,.. thier horror movies would crack me up ,..hahaaaha.

the only one i was disapointed in was the destroyers ,.. only because i hate seeing the good guys die. but the movie was excellent as always.

Guest Iron_Jinon
We all know Lu Feng is the bad guy cause he is bad in every movie.
but he was good in shaolin daredevils;).I enjoyed flag of iron a lot,it`s even better than I expected.fighting is superb and although shaws have always great costumes,extra mention to them in this case..."the water margin" was very disappointing for me.best cheh movies from early seventies are definitely new one armed swordsman&deadly duo...IMO

Guest Morgoth

I still have to see daredevils, but Flag of Iron I found to be way overrated. I don't see how people can say how Flag of Iron is one of their favorites. There is just no thought put into it. The finale is good, but pretty much all of the other fights are too short. I don't think I can name a worse Chang Cheh Venoms movie.

Guest Iron_Jinon

few my friends who know their stuff feel about same as you,thatz why my expectations were not sky high but I enjoyed it more than them(or you)anyway.almost total lack of outdoor scenes is one thing which I dun like so much...hmm,I cannot really name worst venom movie,like them all more or less(house of traps and legend of the fox still unseen).

Guest will91XingYu

For me was probably was 36th Chamber of Shaolin, as i put in my review i liked it it but it wasn't personally the classic everyone had said it was.

Guest tarim69

Heres some I think are really overrated

Executioners From Shaolin

Legendary Weapons Of China

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Vengeance(I think its a good movie, but ALOT of people will put it in their top 10s. I prefer The Duel)

5 Elemental Ninja

Masked Avengers,Daredevils and most other later Venoms films.

New Tales Of The Flying Fox

Guest will91XingYu

Sorry but 36th Chamber is for me overhyped and the other two in the series underappreciated as they're much better than the first one IMO.

Archived