Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

Guest THE BASTARD

Guest THE BASTARD

Opium and the Kung Fu master was a total piece of trash i dont think even Ti Lung was fully

commited to the role. In fact i think he did not even like the film. Playing someone weak and

addicted to Opium. This movie was the Most talked about Shaw Brothers re-release/remaster

so far. What are some of the others.

I also think that Kung Fu instructor was a total waste of money, i sent my copy back free.

It had to do with Ti Lung saving his sons balls or something if i remember correctly. Very

weak... I believe Ti Lung did a better Job acting in this film but still the film was just plain NUTS.

Anyways:

Most Hyped, Most anticipated shaw brothers dissapointments.

#1 Opium and the Kung Fu master

#2 Kung Fu Instructor

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung

pretty much all of them :) .

It had to do with Ti Lung saving his sons balls or something if i remember correctly.

That was 'The Master Strikes Back', the sequel ;) . Actually, I kinda liked it. Ti Lung was pretty good towards the end. Won't say anymore to spoil it :) .

Guest chen lung
where is that hideous photo on your avatar from?

it's from 'God of Cookery', not me ;) .

It's meant to be hideous >D !

Death Valley- not a bad film, but nowhere near as good as i

thought it would be,going on some threads.

Bells of death-yet to see the re-mastered version yet but.zzzz

Guest Feng Gang

I was pretty disappointed in 5 Superfighters and although there wasn't any hype that lured me in, I was disappointed like a mofo in Magnificent Wanderers.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

By far the most dissappointed I have been with any Shaw film is "Boxer's Omen". Had some quirky stuff, but was not impressed overall. Also "Shaolin Avengers" and "5 Shaolin Masters" were both kinda of blah to me. They were'nt BAD by any means, just thought they were average at best. Neither came close to living up to my expectations.

GwaiLOMoFo I agree with you on Boxer's Omen. I recieved it a few days after release and started watching it as soon as I got but didnt watch it all and still havent finished it to this day. I will give it another chance one day.

Guest fabhui

For me it would be Avenging Eagle. All the hype made it sound like the second coming and when I sat down to watch it I guess my expectations had been set way too high.

Still a good movie though! 8)

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Five Deadly Venoms, Death Valley, Bells Of Death, Challenge Of The Masters, as the biggest disappointments? That's four damn good films right there. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Boxer's Omen was a unique and highly entertaining film. It's ridiculous of course, but that's why it was so cool.

Avenging Eagle!!! WT#$%holy#@&*$!!!???

As far as biggest disappointments, speaking for myself, I'd have to say Portrait In Crystal was something I's hoping would've been a little better.

Lust For Love Of A Chinese Courtesan is just god awful! That film I can safely say was my biggest disappointment so far.

What Price Honesty (the leads are just too damn naive for the story to be taken seriously) and oh The Long Chase (the cat and mouse VERY LONG chase was a bit too much to enjoy watching the film and Yueh Hua's disguising himself in such subtle ways, like putting a fake mustache on or changling his clothes so the when Lo Lieh catches up to him he's not entirely sure if he's got the right guy. This ridiculousness happens repeatedly.) I was very let down by those two flicks. Considering the cast of each film, I must say, I had really high expectations for bothe films.

The Silent Swordsman was a bit of a let down as well, I guess.

Guest Chen Zhen

hands down:

Crippled Avengers and Invincible Shaolin

crippled avengers had a very interesting premise, but i thought the film was very avg, and nothing i saw justified the RIDICULOUS level of critical acclaim/hype to me. ditto for invincible shaolin

Guest natoral

5 Element Ninja's

I thought it was alright but nowhere near as good as people would lead you to believe.

Guest peringaten

It's all subjective... Personally Boxer's is one of my favourites, but I can see why it won't go for others - at least it's packing a vivid imagination.

This thread's starting to get a bit silly...

I've come to initial heads with a few movies where we didn't agree and expectations weren't met, for instance say the afforementioned Portrait In Crystal and fare such as Snake Prince, but eventually after the pissed off chemical imbalance offsetting an impartial view in me old noggin, I can come to terms with even the most lesser production, or see an initially misread decent one for what it is, having bypassed for that I expected from it, that which it actually delivered - richer for having seen it at least; the whole studio and output is worthily fascinating I think - I'd like to take each film upon its own merit accordingly; sometimes hard to do from the off. I love Shaws, each has their place regardless of general perception of creative success.

I liked Opium a lot, I think Mak's decent too - the fag comment's unnecessary. The whole may not have matched the sum of the parts, but some of the parts made up for the whole - a case with many individually-perceived wonkier Shaws I believe; I cannot think of one TRULY beyond redemption for at least a sequence or two.

Some of Opium's set-pieces are fantastic - the fire-backdrop, opening sequence and even in some respects the finale are undeniably great achievements within the genre - Tang Chia was more than a hack.

Guest SunChien2004

I try not to listen to other people's reviews as you'll be overhyped and then when you see it, you'll be dissapointed.

But I bought Teahouse in downtown Bklyn last year was severely dissapointed, maybe because I saw Chen Kuan Tai on the cover and was interested, but a waste of time as I wasn't a fan of that particular type of movie.

Guest venomchamber

I'd say I'd have to agree with SunChien2004...

After waiting years and years to finally see the "lost kung-fu movies of Chen Kuan-Tai" The Tea House, Big Brother Cheng, and Iron Bodyguard, they did not live up to their infamous underground cult status and I was surprised by how little martial-arts were displayed by the reknowned "S.E. Asia Champion of 1969" in these films.

...and why on Earth did IVL give Big Brother Cheng a huge Cat. III warning which was very misleading and made me expect something extreme!

I don't dis-like these films, they're just not among my favorite and often re-watched SB films.

Guest killer meteor

The Catatory III is for the depiction of Triad activities, one of the most taboo subjects in HK cinema

Guest venomchamber

oh, I thought Category III was for sex and violent content.

There have been a lot of other triad and gangster films that did not get such a rating. Big Brother Cheng is tame by today's standards.

Guest morgoth

5 Element Ninja, Dirty Ho, Crippled Avengers, AVENGING FREAKING EAGLE?!?!?!? I don't know whether this is a dream or if people really listed these titles. I can understand the cult thing and how Boxer's Omen could be grouped into being overrated if you were expecting a kung fu flick or something. I loved the movie, but I can see hwo it would be too crazy for some people, but those other movies are some of the best overall kung fu movies ever. 5 Element Ninja is probably the worst out of those 4 movies I listed, but the action is super hot and there are a lot of good cheese moments. I think that a lot of people view the word overrated differently. Some people seem to expect the movie to be on an epic level like Gladiotor or Braveheart. I just think this whole overrated topic is overrated. But I do have to agree with you Bastard about Flag of Iron. I heard it was one of the best Venoms films, but I thought it was average at best.

Guest Chen Zhen

i wasnt expecting anything 'godly' from crippled avengers. i expected a movie that would be on par with kid with the golden arms, which i loved.

however i thought it pretty average, and the fighting was WAY too circus-y for my liking. too much flipping and tricking just for the sake of it. i just couldnt buy any of it.

i can see y ppl love it, but id give it no higher than 3.5/5.

Guest morgoth

I would actually only give it a 4/5, but it is still one of my favorites. It is unique in tons of ways and has great comedy. The fighting was the only thing that I found lacking. there were some good fights, but I would have liked it to be a bit more realistic. The training scenes and the interactions between the characters is why I love it so much.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
I think that a lot of people view the word overrated differently.

How do you view it?

If people generally rate a film 'one of the best ever' and you watch it and don't think it's anything special, you would think it's overrated.

Avenging Eagle, Shaolin Prince, and 5 Venoms are a few of the titles that come to mind when I think overrated. I just didn't think they lived up to the hype.

I've never read anyone saying Boxer's Omen was in the league of the films I just mentioned, but that it can be a highly enjoyable cult classic. If you didn't enjoy it, it doesn't mean it's overrated, it means you didn't get it as it's a cult film.

Archived