Frankie Chan has only been in one kung fu movie?

OpiumKungFuCracker

11 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Damn that’s a bummer. I thought he made a career out of playing kung fu villain with a heart 

IMG_2236.thumb.png.d5e66e7c43635d2eadcf99a46880ebac.png

He should of done more baddie roles. He was great in Prodigal Son.

Googling him, I had no idea he was in Chungking Express, Fallen Angels and Ashes of Time! :wondering

He's been in loads of MA movies though.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Love 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
11 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

He should of done more baddie roles. He was great in Prodigal Son.

Googling him, I had no idea he was in Chungking Express, Fallen Angels and Ashes of Time! :wondering

He's been in loads of MA movies though.

Yeah CKE shocked me. I don’t remember him in that I might have to rewatch it.

• Like 1

Such multi-talented gentleman. Hopefully he will be featured in releases by 88 films&Eureka! in future. I suppose outlaw brothers is very possible but Burning Ambition is THE title needed to be released.

• Love 1

One Armed Boxer
21 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Frankie Chan was primarily a composer and did the score for many of the Wong Kar Wai classics. He didn't act in any of them though, so @OpiumKungFuCracker don't expect to see him onscreen if you give them a re-watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Frankie Chan was primarily a composer and did the score for many of the Wong Kar Wai classics. He didn't act in any of them though, so @OpiumKungFuCracker don't expect to see him onscreen if you give them a re-watch.

Stupid Google! I didn't think he was in them as I didn't remember him but the Googles lead me to believe he was!

Google bad! Panda good!

• Haha 1

I discovered him in Prodigal son and I loved what I saw ! Hence, I began to track down his movies.

I realized that I already have Carry on pickpocket and I remember that I laughed and loved it a lot when I watched it years ago.

I also have Unforgettable fantasy, but haven't watched it as yet.

I got a German release of The good, the bad and the beauty and I loved it. There are some nice fights in it, and a lot of humor.

I have Outlaw brothers, and I LOVED it, very good fights !

And I also have The fortune code, but haven't watched it as yet...

Frankie Chan is also the composer of a lot of Shaws' movies. Sometimes, he copies others' music, but sometimes, he delivers some very good melodies.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/19/2023 at 7:24 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Damn that’s a bummer. I thought he made a career out of playing kung fu villain with a heart 

IMG_2236.thumb.png.d5e66e7c43635d2eadcf99a46880ebac.png

Kinda off topic but I'd fight tooth and nail to not call him a villain! He felt more of an antagonist and didn't push the evil killings the Duke had made behind his back. He was stellar in this role!

• Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
40 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

Kinda off topic but I'd fight tooth and nail to not call him a villain! He felt more of an antagonist and didn't push the evil killings the Duke had made behind his back. He was stellar in this role!

Absolutely, I almost felt bad for him towards the end cause he was getting his butt whooped sadly 😭

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Absolutely, I almost felt bad for him towards the end cause he was getting his butt whooped sadly 😭

"LEUNG TSAN!!!!!! KUNG FUUU KIIIIING"

• Love 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I discovered him in Prodigal son and I loved what I saw ! Hence, I began to track down his movies.

I realized that I already have Carry on pickpocket and I remember that I laughed and loved it a lot when I watched it years ago.

I also have Unforgettable fantasy, but haven't watched it as yet.

I got a German release of The good, the bad and the beauty and I loved it. There are some nice fights in it, and a lot of humor.

I have Outlaw brothers, and I LOVED it, very good fights !

And I also have The fortune code, but haven't watched it as yet...

Frankie Chan is also the composer of a lot of Shaws' movies. Sometimes, he copies others' music, but sometimes, he delivers some very good melodies.

Adding those movies to my watchlist, 🙏  thanks 

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

The Prodigal Son is my favorite movie of all time. Also, this seemed relevant:

This is Frankie Chan in his office in 1989

Looks like an entirely different person with hair. I like his bald look. 

One Armed Boxer
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

There are three versions ??

Probably more, it was intended to be released as 2 movies (the total footage shot runs just over 170 mins), but in the end the studio cut it down to be released as one - the result of which has meant there are multiple different versions out there containing different footage.

Officially 'A Warrior's Tragedy' that was released theatrically and on DVD by Winston runs for 110 minutes, so missing about 50 mins of overall footage.

Hindsight also released a DVD under the title 'The Invincible Power of Kindness' which runs for 90 minutes, so is missing about 80 mins of overall footage.

Both contain different footage though, so watched together is almost (using the term loosely) the equivalent of being able to watch the original in its entirety.

On top of that, there are various other versions that have been released on laserdisc and alike that fans have mentioned contain different footage than what's seen in either of the 2 'officially released' versions.

• Like 2

The Good, the Bad & the Beauty is still one of the most hilarious and off the wall buddy cop movies from that era. I know I shouldn't have laughed my ass off but the opening scene with Cherie Chung at the beach and the two *ahem* potential rapists and the politically incorrect subtitles just made me howl! :rofl

• Love 1

14 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Probably more, it was intended to be released as 2 movies (the total footage shot runs just over 170 mins), but in the end the studio cut it down to be released as one - the result of which has meant there are multiple different versions out there containing different footage.

Officially 'A Warrior's Tragedy' that was released theatrically and on DVD by Winston runs for 110 minutes, so missing about 50 mins of overall footage.

Hindsight also released a DVD under the title 'The Invincible Power of Kindness' which runs for 90 minutes, so is missing about 80 mins of overall footage.

Both contain different footage though, so watched together is almost (using the term loosely) the equivalent of being able to watch the original in its entirety.

On top of that, there are various other versions that have been released on laserdisc and alike that fans have mentioned contain different footage than what's seen in either of the 2 'officially released' versions.

100% on point. ThunderMedia also released a DVD that was 126 min. The laser disc totals ~175 min and still doesn't have all the footage from other releases. I'd love to see a custom with every single scene compiled in a single version, that would be quite a treat.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

The Prodigal Son is my favorite movie of all time. Also, this seemed relevant:

This is Frankie Chan in his office in 1989

His cigar is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

Yes I mean his cigar and nothing else you pervs!