The AhNeeMay thread.

CrazyFrog

Posted (edited)

My daughter showed me the first episode of My Deer Friend Nokotan. It was simply surreal, but very funny. The premise is that Koshi, the picture-perfect high school student, meets a deer girl named named Shikanoko, who comes to her school (in Nara) as a transfer student. Shikanoko, or Nokotan, knows Koshi's dark secret: Koshi is a former sukeban. Insanity ensues.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

Yihetuan

After watching Lily CAT, started searching for similar old school anime based on the Alien premise and found Roots Search. Nothing original in the set up but pretty entertaining overall.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 16-34-30 Home _ X.png

• Like 1

Yihetuan
On 6/12/2024 at 2:11 AM, laagi said:

For what it's worth I watched 'Angel's Egg' the other day and it's one of the weirdest most beautiful anime I've ever watched!

I heard IMAGICA is the post-prod restoration house behind this new 4K restoration, so I have high hopes for the physical release & none of the excessive DNR waxy smeary look that has been an issue with some of the other anime restorations.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
57 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

After watching Lily CAT, started searching for similar old school anime based on the Alien premise and found Roots Search. Nothing original in the set up but pretty entertaining overall.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 16-34-30 Home _ X.png

https://archive.org/details/roots-search-vhs

Available here for anyone who wants to watch. :)

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 7/14/2024 at 1:33 AM, DrNgor said:

My daughter showed me the first episode of My Deer Friend Nokotan. It was simply surreal, but very funny. The premise is that Koshi, the picture-perfect high school student, meets a deer girl named named Shikanoko, who comes to her school (in Nara) as a transfer student. Shikanoko, or Nokotan, knows Koshi's dark secret: Koshi is a former sukeban. Insanity ensues.

I really want to try Deer crackers now. :D

I recently checked this one out and while at times it's a bit cheesy to me and has a tendency to "overuse" this one song, I still think it's a good anime dealing with grief and loss.

Although it's super predictable and at times also uneven when it comes to the story. Wasn't a fan of the ending as well.

But if you like surfing (which I do and yes I'm terrible at it), need some romance or love in your life and can deal with tear-jerking drama then this might be right up your alley.

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

On ep two of (MAL) Koi wa Futago de Warikirenai and it features some movie related scenes (one of the characters is a movie fan).

1.thumb.jpg.d2d55c1336405c6c29b522b7bb55783d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.49ff4280bd9ce6115e68416309ac03f1.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.66bdaf12fb99f26a392c7bc8a71b142a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.2c5d74f437a335f179dba41840ad63a3.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.b7005c282084939de4d2f20c9ac33c9a.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.5257faab6d48e10ec08d6ce2a3a7ca47.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.c5e0449f5f6230ae7c3191002cfbda94.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.15cf381e4b5a1fc17b66dda10c475da8.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.5d7f428a72e6e116d4609901fb5d317a.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.c3ccd7d9268a40de26817088110977bd.jpg

Anyone know what the real life movie the Bunny poster is referencing?

Edited by PandaPawPaw

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Anyone know what the real life movie the Bunny poster is referencing?

It almost looks like The Shining.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:33 PM, DrNgor said:

Watched the second episode, which was this utterly bonkers exchange between Nokotan and Torako's obsessively-jealous younger sister, Anko. It culminates in a quiz show duel that is absolutely hilarious. The anime is almost like a tale of a regular girl who finds herself deposited into the world of an absurdist cartoon, and can't seem to make sense of it--like The Simpsons episode with Frank "Grimey" Grimes.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
11 hours ago, DrNgor said:

It almost looks like The Shining.

Yeah that's what I thought at first but I'm not totally sure.

Yihetuan

Runtaro's The Dagger of Kamui Blu ray preview is up on Kickstarter. I'm going to back this one

Screenshot_20240718-135616.png

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

MAL - Fuyu no Okurimono. - "The original short animation depicts the growth of a girl and her encounter with a mysterious creature."

Cute little short animation. Kinda like The Snowman I guess. 6/10.

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

Having seen Ranma and recently finishing the OG Urusei Yatsura, I wanted to try some of Rumiko Takahashi's other works and decided to give Maison Ikkoku a go.

MAL - Maison Ikkoku. - "In the town of Clock Hill, there is an old boarding house called Maison Ikkoku. While the residence itself is fairly normal, most of its occupants are not. Yuusaku Godai, its most quiet tenant, has finally reached his limit with his neighbors' constant disruptions and boisterous partying. Wanting a calmer place to call home so that he can study in peace, he prepares to move away.

However, his plans to leave are suddenly interrupted when he meets the new boarding house manager, Kyoko Otonashi. Falling madly in love with her, he decides that the boarding house may not be such a bad place to live after all. Unfortunately for him, Kyoko has her own romantic troubles: she is a widow whose husband died six months into their marriage. And despite her blossoming feelings for Godai, Kyoko still cherishes her dearly departed husband, and she believes that no other man could possibly fill the void in her heart. But with Godai's persistence and some help of the other eccentric tenants, she may experience true love once again."

maisonikkoku.jpg

The story itself is fine but how it's executed isn't! Right off the bat I wasn't clicking with the show mainly due to a few things. The first and the biggest reason is the other three tenants that live at Maison Ikkoku. They consist of a single girl who has no love life and likes to drink called Akemi. The 2nd is Yotsuya, a meddling tosspot who is a fucking bellend and also likes to drink. The third is Hanae, a drunk useless mother and her young son Kentarou who happens to be the most sane one of the lot! She also has a husband but he's hardly in it and doesn't show up to well into the show. Those three do fuck all except drink and party!

Now those three knobs do nothing but cause trouble for both Kyoko and mainly Godai. The latter is studying for exams early on in the story and the other three give no shits and just bug him while getting off their tits! Yotsuya is the biggest knob head out of the lot and does nothing to help anyone and just wants to amuse himself at others expense!

The whole romance stuff between the MCs is blighted by the above three and stupid rival love interests being introduced which not only gets annoying but slows shit down and make the show unnecessarily long. Godai has no backbone and a wimp a lot of the time and Kyoko is a push over at times even though she's the fucking manager of the place!

Kyoko also has a dog called Souichirou who she named after her dead husband who has the fucking weirdest eyes!

tumblr_mx7dgpqaUJ1rhtieko1_500.gifv

Usually when I see eyes drawn like that it means the character has poor eye sight but that doesn't seem to be the case here as it's never mentioned and he has no trouble. Whatever the reason, I hate those eyes! They look like extra mouths!

I'm on ep 72 (of 98) and I don't think I will miss it much if at all.

Bunch of drunk bastards.

261fef26f0dcd3052ff684c4d1042a37.gif

Edited by PandaPawPaw

PandaPawPaw

Article - Kyoto Animation needs no words in its new anime video love letter to its hometown.

No subs needed as it's dialogue free and just music. Lovely animation from KyoAni.

There's cosplay and then there's this! (Cued to 2hrs 58mins).

Cool stuff though having an adult play Satsuki who is a child is weird and spoils it. The Totoro costume is damn good!

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 11:41 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Having seen Ranma and recently finishing the OG Urusei Yatsura, I wanted to try some of Rumiko Takahashi's other works and decided to give Maison Ikkoku a go.

MAL - Maison Ikkoku. - "In the town of Clock Hill, there is an old boarding house called Maison Ikkoku. While the residence itself is fairly normal, most of its occupants are not. Yuusaku Godai, its most quiet tenant, has finally reached his limit with his neighbors' constant disruptions and boisterous partying. Wanting a calmer place to call home so that he can study in peace, he prepares to move away.

However, his plans to leave are suddenly interrupted when he meets the new boarding house manager, Kyoko Otonashi. Falling madly in love with her, he decides that the boarding house may not be such a bad place to live after all. Unfortunately for him, Kyoko has her own romantic troubles: she is a widow whose husband died six months into their marriage. And despite her blossoming feelings for Godai, Kyoko still cherishes her dearly departed husband, and she believes that no other man could possibly fill the void in her heart. But with Godai's persistence and some help of the other eccentric tenants, she may experience true love once again."

maisonikkoku.jpg

The story itself is fine but how it's executed isn't! Right off the bat I wasn't clicking with the show mainly due to a few things. The first and the biggest reason is the other three tenants that live at Maison Ikkoku. They consist of a single girl who has no love life and likes to drink called Akemi. The 2nd is Yotsuya, a meddling tosspot who is a fucking bellend and also likes to drink. The third is Hanae, a drunk useless mother and her young son Kentarou who happens to be the most sane one of the lot! She also has a husband but he's hardly in it and doesn't show up to well into the show. Those three do fuck all except drink and party!

Now those three knobs do nothing but cause trouble for both Kyoko and mainly Godai. The latter is studying for exams early on in the story and the other three give no shits and just bug him while getting off their tits! Yotsuya is the biggest knob head out of the lot and does nothing to help anyone and just wants to amuse himself at others expense!

The whole romance stuff between the MCs is blighted by the above three and stupid rival love interests being introduced which not only gets annoying but slows shit down and make the show unnecessarily long. Godai has no backbone and a wimp a lot of the time and Kyoko is a push over at times even though she's the fucking manager of the place!

Kyoko also has a dog called Souichirou who she named after her dead husband who has the fucking weirdest eyes!

tumblr_mx7dgpqaUJ1rhtieko1_500.gifv

Usually when I see eyes drawn like that it means the character has poor eye sight but that doesn't seem to be the case here as it's never mentioned and he has no trouble. Whatever the reason, I hate those eyes! They look like extra mouths!

I'm on ep 72 (of 98) and I don't think I will miss it much if at all.

Bunch of drunk bastards.

261fef26f0dcd3052ff684c4d1042a37.gif

I finally finished this shit and yeah it was bad! 5/10 for the main series of 96 eps that consist of misunderstandings galore, totally annoying side characters, wimpy main characters and a romance plot that never delivers or feels genuine (or that I gave a shit about).

The art, music and VA is solid but far too good for such a poor series. After this there is:

All 4 are no better and in the case of the OVA/Movie, the characters designs are totally butchered and it looks shit! Where as the movie has plot holes and stuff doesn't make sense time line wise. Seriously one of the biggest let downs (especially after RANMA/Urusei Yatsura) that I have ever watched.

Bunch of bellends.

c983de078a0aa1460a14e1e9375eb44e8ca050f4

I could of done with some of this to get through it! :P

Article - Rumiko Takahashi’s Maison Ikkoku inspires anime/whisky collaboration.

MW-4.jpg?w=533

Edited by PandaPawPaw

PandaPawPaw

NMhxKjGdQ21NnPG4rzwny8rPdTMDczaU-klnq__G

Looking at that poster you might think this Anime is going to be fucking awesome but nope! It's a pile of shit! The Isekai aspect of it fucking sucks (not a genre I'm a fan of most of the time) and the animation is pretty poor! Joker has hardly been in it and the story is dull shit.

Harley Quinn is the only interesting character in this and her VA is great! If they had made a normal show, it would of been way better than this crap.

Then there's the end credits........................

:P

PandaPawPaw

One of this seasons shows is Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi (The Elusive Samurai) which is not only a great show but has such a cool OP/ED.

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

While I was never a huge Pokemon fan/watcher, I did love her voice of Jessie. She was only 46. RIP. :(

Edited by PandaPawPaw

PandaPawPaw

I came across this very old anime by Hayao Miyazaki called Yuki's Sun (Yuki no Taiyo).

MAL - Yuki no Taiyou Pilot. - "This pilot is remembered, really, for one notable reason: this is Miyazaki's first time as a solo director. He teamed up with Takahata for the later episodes of the 1971-72 Lupin III series, but Yuki's Sun marked his first time solely in the captain's seat.

Yuki's Sun was based upon a popular shoujo manga (girls' comic) by Tetsuya Chiba which was serialized in 1963. It involves a 10-year-old orphan girl who is adopted into a family. The storyline is somewhat complex, and seems to play out like grand melodrama. Chiba's stories were more sophisticated and grown-up than, say, Osamu Tezuka, who of course was the godfather of postwar Japanese manga."

I'm surprised it never lead to anything more.

Yggdrasil
On 8/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

While I was never a huge Pokemon fan/watcher, I did love her voice of Jessie. She was only 46. RIP. :(

I just looked her up on wiki. 3 months from diagnosis....😢. She was 55, not 46.

• Sad 1

Yihetuan
On 7/18/2024 at 1:58 PM, Yihetuan said:

Runtaro's The Dagger of Kamui Blu ray preview is up on Kickstarter. I'm going to back this one

Screenshot_20240718-135616.png

The kickstarter goes live this Saturday

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 19-48-47 AnimEigo (@AnimEigo) _ X.png