Why did you choose your user name?

PandaPawPaw

Well I'm Master Panda Paw Paw who has studied every Martial Arts out there and have taught all the greats. I taught Bruce Lee -- Bruce Lee taught Jackie Chan -- Jackie Chan taught Alain Delon -- Alain Delon taught Stallone -- Stallone taught Ti Lung etc.

kikku_by_pandapawpaw_ddpsykp-pre.jpg?tok

Currently in a relationship with Yvonne Chapman and Olivia Cheng.

:D

Reality: So I grew up reading Super Play which was a SNES magazine and they'd review Anime in the back and Ranma ½ was featured sometimes because of the SNES game which is where I saw the Panda father (below).

ranma-panda.gif

Then after that I just became a fan of Pandas and in 2011 I decided to take my art a bit more serious and created a DeviantART account so I could upload my art and used PandaPawPaw as my handle/username and it stuck ever since. :)

How about your username?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Well I'm Master Panda Paw Paw who has studied every Martial Arts out there and have taught all the greats. I taught Bruce Lee -- Bruce Lee taught Jackie Chan -- Jackie Chan taught Alain Delon -- Alain Delon taught Stallone -- Stallone taught Ti Lung etc.

Panda On Beat :pandakungfu

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Chorake is one of the romanizations of the Thai word for crocodile, stemming from my love of the Sompote Saengduenchai monster-mondosploitation film Crocodile as well as his own enthusiasm about the animal.

• Like 8

Mine is a high school nickname from the 90s, I'm 6'3 and my name is Dru, an the dogg was just a popular phrase at the time.. 

So I use that user name for every forum/video game system I'm ever associated with.. I'm getting too old to remember specific names for different sites :laugh

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

I choose this user name bc I am fascinated by the Gu Long character Chu Liu Hsiang (Xiang). Originally, I did not intend to post comments myself, otherwise I'd have maybe added a "Mrs" or something.

Nice idea for a thread!

• Like 8

Mme. White Snake is my favorite Chinese female mythological character. I think I first found her in the anime Panda and the Magic Serpent or maybe it was the novel Devil Wives of Li Fong by E. Hoffman Price, which had the beautiful cover by Rowena.

• Like 7

@PandaPawPaw Whats your review and thoughts of the kung fu panda movies and concept? Im still yet to see one. However I do like animation they always looked dumb to me, Ive become more interested in checking them out over the years just havent got around to it.  Funny enough the kung fu documentary I watched on netflix years ago >That Was Responsible For Mentioning and Recommending This Forum In< actually spoke highly of those movies in it to where I actually started to wonder if I should take them more seriously.  Cant even remember the name of that documentary now.

• Like 5

Drunken Monk
On 8/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, ShawAngela said:

I chose mine because I'm a crazy fan of the Shaws' movies, and an even craziest fan of Angela Mao's movies.

I thought your actual name was Angela despite Angela Mao being your avatar.

Drunken Boxing was the first kung fu style I fell in love with. Even my first ever email address had “drunkenstyle” in it.

With that said, my username annoys the shit out of me. Why? I’m an alcoholic. I’m six years sober so it feels frustratingly ironic to have this name. But since everyone knows me as “DM,” it makes sense to keep it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

13 hours ago, Koravec said:

@PandaPawPaw Whats your review and thoughts of the kung fu panda movies and concept? Im still yet to see one. However I do like animation they always looked dumb to me, Ive become more interested in checking them out over the years just havent got around to it.  Funny enough the kung fu documentary I watched on netflix years ago >That Was Responsible For Mentioning and Recommending This Forum In< actually spoke highly of those movies in it to where I actually started to wonder if I should take them more seriously.  Cant even remember the name of that documentary now.

It's OK. I like the characters but the stories are kinda meh. Part 3 is cool as it has tons of Pandas. I'm not a fan of CGI animated movies that much. I just find that them hard to watch/get into.

kung-fu-panda-dancing-gif.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I thought your actual name was Angela despite Angela Mao being your avatar.

No. On another forum, my alias is DavidAdam, and none of them is my name... :):monk_laughing:

Because I'm a craaaaaazy fan of both David Chiang and Adam Cheng !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well now, I've actually had four different usernames through the years.

When I first joined in 2009, I use my initials 'jrc' plus 'xma' for Xtreme Martial Arts, as in Mike Chats' brand of martial art (which I was training in at the time) later I drop the 'x'.

In 2012, I wanted a more readable username and started using 'Silver & Gold Dragon' on the Shaolin Chamber 36 forum. I mostly based that on the characters "Silver and Gold Tiger[s]" from Kung-Fu of Eight Drunkards. Later I used 'Silver and Gold Dragon' when the Kung Fu Fandom/Cinema and  Shaolin Chamber 36 forums merged.

I carried the 'Dragon' part over and in 2020 I changed my username to 'Omni Dragon', the 'Omni' part comes from Omni Productions, the dubbing company founded by Rik Thomas. I chose it to reflect my interest in English dubs.I do actually tend to prefer the older dubs like those by Ted Thomas' Axis International though.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Well, back when I joined, I needed a name that I thought would fit. So, being that I am a big fan of both Star Wars (Darth) and of Bruce Lee (Kato), I combined them together and it worked out pretty well. This site is where the name originated, but I now use it for everything online and in gaming (Both Video games and Tabletop games). 

As a bonus: My avatar was drawn by a good friend I use to have. She needed practice with her drawing and asked if anyone in our group of friends at the time had any request. I was a big fan of an Internet comic named Gamercat at the time and I needed a picture to match my name.  So, I asked her if she would draw Gamercat as a Sith Lord from Star Wars. She did a beautiful job on it, and I've used it ever since. I have a copy of it saved on a thumb drive to make sure I always have it handy in case I make a new profile somewhere. It's easly one of my most treasured possessions. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:49 AM, DarthKato said:

Well, back when I joined, I needed a name that I thought would fit. So, being that I am a big fan of both Star Wars (Darth) and of Bruce Lee (Kato), I combined them together and it worked out pretty well. This site is where the name originated, but I now use it for everything online and in gaming (Both Video games and Tabletop games). 

As a bonus: My avatar was drawn by a good friend I use to have. She needed practice with her drawing and asked if anyone in our group of friends at the time had any request. I was a big fan of an Internet comic named Gamercat at the time and I needed a picture to match my name.  So, I asked her if she would draw Gamercat as a Sith Lord from Star Wars. She did a beautiful job on it, and I've used it ever since. I have a copy of it saved on a thumb drive to make sure I always have it handy in case I make a new profile somewhere. It's easly one of my most treasured possessions. 

That's a cool and sweet story about your avatar. :smile

Anyone else wanna share info about their usernames?

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Anyone else want to share the meaning/reason behind their username? It doesn't matter if it has a meaning or it was just random.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:55 AM, Omni Dragon said:

When I first joined in 2009, I use my initials 'jrc' plus 'xma' for Xtreme Martial Arts, as in Mike Chats' brand of martial art (which I was training in at the time) later I drop the 'x'.

I remember that name :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Anyone else want to share the meaning/reason behind their username? It doesn't matter if it has a meaning or it was just random.

Mine is my 1970s NYC graffiti name. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I was one of two guys named Bob at the video store where I worked, and these teens that I got into Hong Kong cinema gave me that nickname to differentiate me from the other guy. They'd come in and ask "Is Bob working today?" and get "Which Bob?" "Kung Fu Bob." And then people I trained with started calling me that too and it stuck.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

My user name was given to me back in the 80's.

Hanging out with the guys around the Chamber in the "Deuce" aka 42nd St (NYC) and Chinatown movie theaters & video stores - I always use to "analyze" the Kung Fu movies & I even used to walk around with a stack of papers with listings, synopsis, reviews, etc,  of Kung Fu movies so one of the guys (I think it was Greg who was a member in the first original forum) gave me the nickname thekfc which stands for The Kung Fu Commishioner. I have been using that name ever since. It's been almost 40 years since I have been usung that nickname. 

I used to have all the guys (Charles Woods, Greg, Pai, etc,) who used to hang around the 43rd Chamber contact info but my phone got destroyed and all the contacts were lost - that was before you could backup your contacts. After the events of 911, we stopped hanging you together, less traveling, went our seperate ways & lost contacts. Once in a while I see one of them one the train going the opposite way but not enough time to stop or exchange contact info.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

J.J. Hayden

I first used the name Dredderick Tatum (yes, I spelled it wrong :P) as I found the name hilarious along with the episode of The Simpsons I best remember it from. A long, long time ago, when the show was worth watching. Here's a great clip from that episode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, thekfc said:

My user name was given to me back in the 80's.

Hanging out with the guys around the Chamber in the "Deuce" aka 42nd St (NYC) and Chinatown movie theaters & video stores - I always use to "analyze" the Kung Fu movies & I even used to walk around with a stack of papers with listings, synopsis, reviews, etc,  of Kung Fu movies so one of the guys (I think it was Greg who was a member in the first original forum) gave me the nickname thekfc which stands for The Kung Fu Commishioner. I have been using that name ever since. It's been almost 40 years since I have been usung that nickname. 

I used to have all the guys (Charles Woods, Greg, Pai, etc,) who used to hang around the 43rd Chamber contact info but my phone got destroyed and all the contacts were lost - that was before you could backup your contacts. After the events of 911, we stopped hanging you together, less traveling, went our seperate ways & lost contacts. Once in a while I see one of them one the train going the opposite way but not enough time to stop or exchange contact info.

There's me thinking you just loved chicken so much. :P

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

There's me thinking you just loved chicken so much. :P

I love chick(en)s but the other kind. :blush

• Haha 1

My middle name is Scott and I developed a super secret deadly martial arts style called Scottfu and I may have made that last part up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Koravec
Posted (edited)

I wasnt initially going to be honest about it, but I geuss I will. 

Because Im american with the most common real first and last name imaginable and getting into older great artists across different fields I noticed how they all had these interesting and cool unique names like Korsakov, Kafka, Cortazar, Mayakovsky, I mean you name it those were just some that I used as inspiration to make up a fake name, as I wanted a cool interesting, more cryptic name too. 

Although it seems like Koravec is actually a real surname though? As well as Korevec and Oravec. 

So nice having a cool meaningless but still identifiable name.

(and come to think of it I actually think ‘I made it up’ is a far more interesting story than just ‘its my name’ lol)

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 3
  • Love 1