Out of print (OOP) IVL Shaw Brothers DVD's

Guest drunkenmantis13

Those Shaw discs in the stores in Chinatown are not repressed by IVL. They're bootlegs done apparently in the store. A number of times one of the merchants in one of the shops (don't remember the name but it's across from the Buddhist Temple on canal in NY) tried to get me to buy the cheaper discs being sold beside the legit discs. At the time, said titles were still in print.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those Shaw discs in the stores in Chinatown are not repressed by IVL. They're bootlegs done apparently in the store. A number of times one of the merchants in one of the shops (don't remember the name but it's across from the Buddhist Temple on canal in NY) tried to get me to buy the cheaper discs being sold beside the legit discs. At the time, said titles were still in print.

I know the bootlegs that you're talking about, there are a couple of stores on the Bowery that sell them. But I am sure there are a couple of older classic titles (Five Venoms, 36th Chamber, and a couple of others) that are real IVL reprints that just don't have the sleeve. They look just like the recent legit IVL releases that came without the sleeve. I have seen them at the one store I am sure does not sell bootlegs so they are legit.

gravedigger666
Some IVL Shaw dvds out of print but could be available as back stock:

Anonymous Heroes

All Men Are Brothers

The Angry Guest

The Bastard

Brave Archer 2

Chinatown Kid

Danger Has Two Faces

Dirty Ho

Descendant Of The Sun

The Five Venoms

The Flying Guillotine 1 & 2

The Golden Sword

Golden Swallow

Have Sword Will Travel

Heaven And Hell

Heroes Two

Human Lanterns

Holy Flame Of The Martial World

Invincible Shaolin

Iron Bodyguard

The Jade Tiger

The Killer Snakes

Kiss Of Death

The Lady Assassin

Long Road To Gallantry

Man Of Iron

The Master

The Mighty Peking Man

My Young Auntie

The Naval Commandos

The Rescue

River Of Fury

Savage 5

Secret Service Of The Imperial Court

The Sentimental Swordsman

Shaolin Avengers

Shaolin Intruders

Shaolin Prince

The Spirit Of The Sword

The Sword And The Lute

Swordsman And Enchantress

The Thundering Sword

Vengeance

The Web Of Death

I have those all minus 4--..web of death could get anytime but some said it`s not good movie.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I've been looking through several online sites and the only IVLs that I can't find anywhere are:

Venegeance

Flying Guillotine

Golden Swallow

Heroes Two

Any other additions?

All of those are available and in stock on HKflix!

All of those are available and in stock on HKflix!

Not the R3 IVL version, they're all listed as "On Order"

Which means they'll take your money but then send an email later telling you they can't get it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, didn't know! I don't know what all this region stuff is all about! Where I live, practically every DVD player is region free, so no one ever thinks about that stuff!

Chen Kuan Tai
Ok, didn't know! I don't know what all this region stuff is all about! Where I live, practically every DVD player is region free, so no one ever thinks about that stuff!

The rc is mentioned sometimes to indentify better the version which is talking about. So you don't have to think about the rc.

Mark Pollard

Kwok Choi, you got a good list going. Anyone want to volunteer to keep it updated? We could get a new thread started and stickied and just keep the first post updated with a list sorted by distributor. This is a topic that's going to be increasingly helpful for all of us to keep track of, as least those of us who haven't bought every SB reissue to date already.

Chen Kuan Tai
Kwok Choi, you got a good list going. Anyone want to volunteer to keep it updated? We could get a new thread started and stickied and just keep the first post updated with a list sorted by distributor. This is a topic that's going to be increasingly helpful for all of us to keep track of, as least those of us who haven't bought every SB reissue to date already.

I think, too. Best is to start a new thread where all oop titles can be posted. The first post shows the list which will be updated from time to time.

But why to sort by distributor? Important are only the ivl releases which going oop from time to time.

Chen Kuan Tai

Also important is to sort by dvd/vcd. There are titles where only the dvd is oop. And there are titles where only vcd is released. I quoted it after the title.

Here is my oop list:

All Men Are Brothers (DVD & VCD)

Angel Strikes Again (VCD, only VCD released)

Angry Guest, The (DVD & VCD)

Bastard, The (DVD)

Black Magic (DVD & VCD)

Brave Archer 2 (DVD)

Cave Of Silkon Web (DVD)

Chinatown Kid (DVD)

Corpse Mania (VCD, only VCD released)

Criminals, The (DVD)

Crippled Avengers (VCD)

Flying Guillotine (DVD)

Flying Guillotine 2 (DVD)

Ghost Eyes (DVD & VCD)

Golden Buddha (DVD)

Golden Swallow (DVD)

Golden Sword (DVD)

Have Sword Will Travel (DVD)

Heaven And Hell (DVD)

Heroes Two (DVD)

Holy Flame Of The Martial World (DVD)

Human Lanterns (DVD)

Illicit Desire (DVD & VCD)

Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan (DVD)

Invincible Shaolin (DVD)

Iron Bodyguard (DVD)

Jade Tiger (DVD)

Killer Snakes (DVD)

Kiss of Death (DVD & VCD)

Lady Assassin (DVD)

Lady Professional (DVD & VCD)

Long Road To Gallantry (DVD)

Lost Souls (VCD, only VCD)

Magnificent Wanderers (DVD)

Mahjong Heroes (DVD)

Man of Iron (DVD)

Master, The (DVD)

Mighty Peking Man (DVD)

My Young Auntie (DVD)

Naval Commandos (DVD)

Oily Maniac (DVD)

Rescue, The (DVD)

Secret Service Of The Imperial Court (DVD)

Sentimental Swordsman (DVD)

Sexy Killer (DVD)

Shaolin Intruders (DVD)

Shaolin Prince (DVD)

Spirit Of The Sword (DVD)

Sword And The Lute (DVD)

Swordsman And Enchantress (DVD)

Thundering Sword (DVD)

Vengeance (DVD)

Web Of Death (DVD)

It's really surprised how much titles are already oop.

venomchamber
Those Shaw discs in the stores in Chinatown are not repressed by IVL. They're bootlegs done apparently in the store.

Not entirely true. Although there are indeed "region 1" bootlegs as well as the Red Sun/Pan Media stuff there in abundance, every film on the list can be found in Chinatown on an authentic IVL R3 DVDs, many still with the cardboard slipcase. I should know, I buy them there all the time! If you don't see it, try asking! (You'd be amazed by what they find under the counter or in their back rooms!) If they don't have it, I assure you they will get it for you, out of print or not! As of this writing, the only movies I am unable to get are STARLETS FOR SALE and LOST SOULS.

Not entirely true. Although there are indeed "region 1" bootlegs as well as the Red Sun/Pan Media stuff there in abundance, every film on the list can be found in Chinatown on an authentic IVL R3 DVDs, many still with the cardboard slipcase. I should know, I buy them there all the time! If you don't see it, try asking! (You'd be amazed by what they find under the counter or in their back rooms!) If they don't have it, I assure you they will get it for you, out of print or not! As of this writing, the only movies I am unable to get are STARLETS FOR SALE and LOST SOULS.

The covers on these are clearly photocopied. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Many of these are copies of discs taken from IVLs that HAVE a slipcase. The ones with the photocopied covers DO NOT HAVE THEM. These are also cheaper from the original IVLs that are sold alongside them. If these WERE legit, why are they half the price and still retain the R3 on the back and yet they are region free? I go to NY frequently to visit friends there so it's not like I'm not there often.

venomchamber
The covers on these are clearly photocopied. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Many of these are copies of discs taken from IVLs that HAVE a slipcase. The ones with the photocopied covers DO NOT HAVE THEM. These are also cheaper from the original IVLs that are sold alongside them. If these WERE legit, why are they half the price and still retain the R3 on the back and yet they are region free? I go to NY frequently to visit friends there so it's not like I'm not there often.

again, not everything found in Chinatown is a bootleg! I actually live here and go there on a daily basis and will have you know that there are still many, many original Region 3 DVDs readily available, and others still that can also be ordered. (Yes, R3s can be ordered from select stores upon request!)

FYI: Re-released titles no longer come in the slipcases (such as THE 36th CHAMBER films), and movies found in both the ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN and BASTARD SWORDSMAN box sets are also available individually.

Yes, there are a couple of columns of inferior bootlegs there too as you have pointed out, but there are atleast 5 stores in all that carry original Region 3 IVL DVDs that I have personally purchased from (400+), and two of 'em don't stock any boots at all. I suggest anyone in the area should pay CT a visit!

BASTARD SWORDSMAN and its sequel are VCDs individually outside of the boxset. When were these made available LEGITIMATELY as individual DVDs? I already have this box set but I cannot find the individual dvds as you mention in your above post. Ditto for the OAS box set. I can find no individual DVD release for the R3 discs.

Yes, I know not everything in Chinatown is a bootleg and yes, I know you live there as you have re-iterated twice now. What I was trying to get across was that there are both bootlegs and legit titles of same title right next to each other in some of the stores; older titles with the slipcases and those without. The obvious photocopied look of the covers are a giveaway. I have also been to some stores that do not have them or at least none that I saw.

venomchamber
BASTARD SWORDSMAN and its sequel are VCDs individually outside of the boxset. When were these made available LEGITIMATELY as individual DVDs?

Yeah, you can get VCDs by the truckload there, but I have no idea as to when the DVDs were made available individually. With the way Celestial and IVL have been handling these releases, there's no telling what to expect, but they are there I assure you. Then again, for all I know maybe they seperate the sets themselves? But still, one shop on Bowery still has a very shelfworn Bastard Swordsman set still lurking around.

I already have this box set but I cannot find the individual dvds as you mention in your above post. Ditto for the OAS box set. I can find no individual DVD release for the R3 discs.

Where are you looking... online or "on foot"? I've never ordered any discs from any online services, so I can't help you there, sorry. Its just as well since I keep reading how everything is out of print. All I know is the stores in Chinatown still get replenishments every Friday, and my bundle of requests is convieniently set aside so when I walk in they just pull 'em out from behind the counter! (Whatever I order they tend to order an extra few copies for the store too.) Eventually, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before warehouse supply dries up though.

What I was trying to get across was that there are both bootlegs and legit titles of same title right next to each other in some of the stores

to which I agreed

Yes, there are a couple of columns of inferior bootlegs there too as you have pointed out
with the grainy xeroxed covers that they push toward the droves of fans that walk in and buy R3s only to bring 'em back a couple hours later because they can't play them. Now they all make sure to exclaim "YOU HAVE REGION THREE?" before ringing you up. Then there's all the Pan Media stuff that the average 'collectors' buy by the dozen and when I see them building their stacks while rummaging thru the bins I've tried warning them that those are bootlegs made here in the U.S. only to be told "I don't speak no Chinese, I wanna see these things in English like they was on channel five". Oh well, to each their own...can't say I didn't try to warn them.

venomchamber

oh, one other advantage of buying them from a store rather than online is that many came with extras... bonus CDs came with many of the Huangmei Operas, lego-styled figures called Kubricks came with the Super Inframan VCD (I got it just for those!), and I've also received Shaw Stars Playing Cards and calenders for spending so much $$$ on a weekly basis in there! I don't see any of these items listed on sites such as HKFlix.

Have they offered these incentives as well?

venomchamber

ok, I just got back from Chinatown. The store I would suggest to anyone in the area looking for rare and/or OOP R3 IVLs is located at 85 Bowery. For years the store primarily used to be a women's accessory store specializing in shoes and handbags known as FAI WONG STYLE as it says on their purple sign, but in recent years they have converted to more and more CD/VCD/DVD media and are now known as PS MUSIC LAND CORP. as it says on their card which also states "Quality & service are our priority".

The reason this one is my personal favorite is because, once upon a time (last August) I couldn't find a couple of titles I really wanted to see and armed with the Celestial catalog I downloaded I proceeded to ask if I could have her order them for me. When they saw the catalog they asked me which ones and after pointing out several of the exploitation/horror titles (such as GHOST EYES and SEXY GIRLS OF DENMARK), they xeroxed the pages, asked me if I wanted R3 DVD or VCD (*DVD all the way baby!) and proceeded to circle the movies in red and told me to come back the next week. This system has worked for me ever since. (*In fact I am happy to say I have returned home today with STARLETS FOR SALE which as I mentioned in previous posts was among the titles I couldn't find anywhere. This title took over a month for them to locate, but atleast they did, so my patience paid off.)

So bring in a list with the Chinese characters and request they order it for you! You'll be glad you did!

oh, their phone number there is (212) 925-6380. (*If you decide to call, be prepared to speak in Cantonese as their English is "Chinglish" at best. *e.g. "you Saws Browda mooby come now!") and their fax is 1 212 274-8319.

I hope this information is useful to some of you.

I have a guy here in Chicago that I do the very same thing with, Venomchamber. I bring in my catalogue with the titles in chinese characters, and he places an order and within a week or two the films come.:D He's always amazed at my interest in the Shaws DVD's.

mistertpitydafoo

Fellow Shaw Fans,

Can anyone find Lost Souls or the one I REALLY REALLY want to see that I can not find for the life of me is The Lady Professional. Some of those OOPs are available on ebay, thats how I found them, 'cuz over the past few months I have made a list of OOP shaws and have been trying my best to get them all either through purchasing or in the worst case, a few I've had to rent and make backup copy of em(which I would NOT do if they would let me buy it, I have almost 200 legit shaws and about 150 backups including the OOP ones or films that I have no interest in but want to see just for my love of shaws, then it sits on the shelf for eternity).

One's I've found on ebay that are legit to buy (except i got sold a $30 bootleg that I was told was legit from ebay of The Kiss of Death) are All Men Are Brothers (Siren), The Angry Guest ivl with slipcase, The Bastard ivl with slipcase, brave archer 2 ivl, chinatown kid zoke media edition with slipcase, crippled avengers zoke media edition with slipcase, flying guillotine zoke media with slipcase, Golden Buddha ivl (was auctioned, while the others have more than one at buy it now when I last ordered some Shaws), Heroes Two thai dvd, Human Lanterns ivl with slipcase, Invincible Shaolin zoke media with slipcase, Kiss of Death (but like I said i was sold a bootleg instead of a legit one and this was won in an auction), The Master siren edition, the rescue zoke media edition with slipcase, Secret service of the imperial court thai version, Shaolin Prince zoke media with slipcover, Spirit of the Sword zoke media with slipcase, Sword and the Lute ivl slip case, vengeance thai version, and Web of Death Siren is the distributor.

A lot of these you can rent to see (or even make a backup copy) is from www.ehit.com (Very BIG collection, literally hundreds of shaws and many OOPs) www.cinflix.com (2nd biggest collection, has some I couldn't find at ehit.com such as The Sentimental Swordsman) www.tigercinema.com [which has probably 20 IVLs and many of those cheaper red sun ones or whatever, but I just rent the IVLs from them, although I accidentally got a 7man army rental that wasn't ivl even though they showed it was ivl in the picture just as a warning. Everything else is okay. What was weird though is it was just like a celestial as far as being remastered (perhaps a lil less quality such as a lower bitrate), no english track (which I thought the bootlegged red sun/panmedias only had) and a cheap looking menu] So if worse came to worse you could always rent and copy until you can actually find the legit copy. I have a collection I am very proud of and it was very frustrating to not be able to find certain films anywhere and have to result to owning a backup of it until they decide to re-release it.

Thank you for your time and I hope this helps. Please send me a PM if anyone knows wher you can get a DVD of The Lady Professional or if anyone wants to sell one or even trade/sell a backup.

Ben

venomchamber

LOST SOULS in the one SB film even I cannot get as it was only made available on the inferior VCD format. (No DVD whatsoever.) My displeasure with that media cused me to procrastinate and await a DVD release that would never come. Now I have learned I waited too long and it has officially gone out of print and I am stuck with a German dubbed bootleg VHS tape. I was fortunate enough to still obtain all of THE CRIMINALS series on VCDs since its better that not having the films at all. Moral: "strike while the iron is hot".

Yeah, you can get VCDs by the truckload there, but I have no idea as to when the DVDs were made available individually. With the way Celestial and IVL have been handling these releases, there's no telling what to expect, but they are there I assure you. Then again, for all I know maybe they seperate the sets themselves? But still, one shop on Bowery still has a very shelfworn Bastard Swordsman set still lurking around.

Where are you looking... online or "on foot"? I've never ordered any discs from any online services, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Don't need the sets thank you as I already have them. Just curious as to where these legit single editions you spoke of were located. Maybe they are separating the sets as you said. Very silly to do so but who knows?

Anyway, I have the LOST SOULS vcd but haven't watched it yet. Can't seem to find it anywhere for sale. THE LADY PROFESSIONAL VCD is here though...

http://www.fivestarlaser.com/shop/movies/8998.html?id=7a67ndJw

Archived