Out of print (OOP) IVL Shaw Brothers DVD's

Guest drunkenmantis13

Guest drunkenmantis13

I think it would be a great idea to keep a list of know titles already OOP so people who want them don't hesitate if they see them somewhere.

Also is there a way to know which titles will soon be going OOP?

So right now i only know of The Flying Guillotine 1 and 2 that i want and can't find. Please add the ones you know!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just ordered, The Kung Fu Instructor, which is out of print. Found it on shelf at a given online retailer.

Vengeance, is out of print.

The IVL release of The Flying Guillotine is out of print, but the Deltamac release can stiil be found. HKflix has a copy in stock. That's the only Deltamac I've had to resort to yet because of the growing out of print ordeal.

You have to go through a list of what you definitely want remastered in your collection and of what Shaws you may deem must haves, then scour the online retailers if you come across any that are out of print.

If any other companies are gonna lease the rights to any of these Shaw remasters you may have a very long wait.

The Kung-Fu Instructor is surely too recent to be OOP?

Is it? I was gonna purchase it from HKflix, but they've listed it as out of print, not back ordered. So, I just asssumed it was out of print. I don't rightly remember its release date.

Actually, I now wonder just how many copies Celestial is packaging. Could it be that because of poor sales in the last few years they're trying to save on manufacturing costs.

I don't know, just a wild shot in the dark. :rolleyes

Yes but Markgway, that could just be a left over shelf item. Once that item (or whatevers left of what they have in stock) is gone, they may not be able to order it again. This is just speculation of course because of seeing it listed at HKflix as OOP.

Guest stormybman

Why are so many of the newer releases going out of print so soon? Anyone care to answer that question? Titles such as The Young Avenger are already OOP. What gives? Celestial just slamming the door on us because they're at the end of their release catalogue? :\

"Now you listen to me... I'll only say it once!! We are NOT sick men!!!"

Guest Steve Barr
Why are so many of the newer releases going out of print so soon? Anyone care to answer that question? Titles such as The Young Avenger are already OOP. What gives? Celestial just slamming the door on us because they're at the end of their release catalogue?
I've heard sales were poor, so they may be reducing the quantity produced. From now on perhaps it's worth the extra effort to preorder each batch from your favorite merchant.

Guest ShaKwon
From now on perhaps it's worth the extra effort to preorder each batch from your favorite merchant.

OMG! I was not aware of this. I totally agree!

Guest thejadefacedassassin

My friend knows some of the staff at IVL who told him it is true that there will be no more new release from Celestial after Dec 2007. Many titles already released will be out of print as they will not be repressed.

So where do the HK rights lie from 2008?

Or beyond... and what films will any of these prospective companies release and in what way?

Very good question.

Sword and the Lute has been difficult to find so I believe is out of print. I ordered it from Playasia and its been almost two weeks and I recently got an email from them that they are trying to get the dvd.

Guest Karlos

Just placed an order from the UK part of YesAsia.com, to find that there are many new (i.e. less than 2 years old) SB's are being flagged up as either not available or VCD only (Four Riders, Rend w/Death, and, shockingly, Masked Avengers!), to name but three.

Could just be temporary, of course, but it doesn't look good, does it? :(

I might have to try cdwow if playasia doesnt come thru. I dont buy vcd's unless they are vcd only releases so dvd is a must for me on Sword/Lute. I recently got Temple Red Lotus and Twin Swords and I am waiting on Sword/Lute so I can watch them all together.

Wow, I had no idea things were going out of print at that rate. I just put in an order from dddhouse that included The Young Avenger---hope they still have it on the shelves.

Guest Markgway

Well, it seems as though it's open season on any title.

How can we know what to look for if the deletions are at random?

Masked Avengers OOP?

Bloody hell!

Archived