Kung fu movies reborn

sym8

Do you think Hong Kong could ever re-boot the Kung fu movie genre the way Once Upon A Time In China did in the early 90s?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sym8 said:

Do you think Hong Kong could ever re-boot the Kung fu movie genre the way Once Upon A Time In China did in the early 90s?

I would hope so since martial arts is becoming more and more influential in modern culture. Take superhero movies for example. There are tons of martial arts practitioners who help design these fight scenes (and action scenes for that matter). Batman v Superman has one of the best fights in a superhero film and that was made by Damon Caro who's under Dan Inosanto.

Or take movies like Everything Everywhere All At Once. The fights are top notch and gave Ke Huy Quan his career back. It even has the guys from Martial Club and their popularity is getting better by the year. And even their careers started small and worked their ways up.

That's just my take on it. I really hope HK has a resurgence in martial arts films given that more and more people are starting to like it. I get ashamed seeing 90% of these new mainland films, especially since all they do is rehash the Ip Man flicks. It's a slap in the face if you ask me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

That's just my take on it. I really hope HK has a resurgence in martial arts films given that more and more people are starting to like it. I get ashamed seeing 90% of these new mainland films, especially since all they do is rehash the Ip Man flicks. It's a slap in the face if you ask me.

Yeah, they need to find a new martial artist from HK or Southern China to deify. Maybe Bruce Leung Siu-Lung when he passes on, or Jimmy Wang Yu, who had street fighting experience.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, they need to find a new martial artist from HK or Southern China to deify. Maybe Bruce Leung Siu-Lung when he passes on, or Jimmy Wang Yu, who had street fighting experience.

If they were to idolize Jimmy Wang Yu on film maybe there would finally be some decent fight scenes. Nah, what am I thinking?

What would be sweet is if they would go back to the HK style of the 80's modern actioners. Some insane choreography and stunts there. But those days are gone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

What would be sweet is if they would go back to the HK style of the 80's modern actioners. Some insane choreography and stunts there. But those days are gone

So true,I personally think people with that skill set have long gone.It’s seems to easy now with wires and cgi.

• Like 1

I don’t know…call me a pessimist or someone that’s stuck in my time, but I feel like Hong Kong and Hollywood are so outrageously out of touch with what makes good movies nowadays, that there are so few made lately, that I’ve already kinda given up hope

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

but I feel like Hong Kong and Hollywood are so outrageously out of touch with what makes good movies nowadays

Agreed,recently saw the new Indiana Jones movie and although I enjoyed it it’s the action from the early films where there’s no cgi just stuntmen and actors actually doing it they I crave the most.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 8/9/2023 at 4:25 AM, sym8 said:

It already did in 2008 with 'Ip Man', although arguably the lasting influence of the original is now carried on through Mainland web movies more than anything coming out of Hong Kong itself.