Protégé de la Rose Noire (2004)

DiP

I never got around watching it back in the day. I recently managed to get a DVD copy of it but after watching the first 10 min, I don't think I'll ever finish it -- the very same reason for me trying to go through The Twins Effect but ending up failing to keep my interest up after less than 15 min. These movies are just too super wacky for my preferences.

However, I have to say that Donnie's action choreography is actually pretty good here. This, and the aforementioned movie contain some good stuff that would later shape Donnie's style the way it is today. He continues to surprise me, regardless of the material given to him, and of scale-sized productions. More hidden Donnie Yen choreography stuff coming up...

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

I watched this a long time ago and probably would've revisit it anytime soon but I mercifully sat through the whole thing. I agree that it's super silly and the over the top comedy is lame but like you mentioned the Donnie Yen fight choreo was the only redeeming feature of this crap movie. It was nice seeing Teresa Mo kick ass and Faith Woo showing out in the pink bikini and hot pants. Those were my only highlights. The Cantopop twins Gillian Chung and Charlene Choi were super annoying that I nearly had to fast forward their scenes.

• Like 1

To Charlene Choi's credit, she has improved and matured tremendously over the years. She got alot of praises for her daring performance opposite Simon Yam in Sara, and got nominated for her acting in movies like The Lady Improper, and Fatal Visit. I'm not sure about Gillian Chung but I'm sure she has gotten better as well. So these zany comedies are kinda like a thing of the past for them.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

PandaPawPaw
33 minutes ago, DiP said:

To Charlene Choi's credit, she has improved and matured tremendously over the years. She got alot of praises for her daring performance opposite Simon Yam in Sara, and got nominated for her acting in movies like The Lady Improper, and Fatal Visit. I'm not sure about Gillian Chung but I'm sure she has gotten better as well. So these zany comedies are kinda like a thing in the past for them today.

Yeah I agree Choi has gone on to be a decent actress.

Did Gillian's career ever recover from the sex scandal?

3 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Did Gillian's career ever recover from the sex scandal?

Gillian took a break from the scandal, not working at all in 2009, but has been working steadily since, her last film being last year's Green Snake: The Fate of Reunion as the titular Green Snake. She was married to a podiatrist, but the marriage lasted a year and a half, ending in 2020. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

We also need to mention Chris Yen as the nunchaku-wielding Enchantress. Donnie's little sister even ended up on The Today Show and mentioned the film.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DiP said:

I never got around watching it back in the day. I recently managed to get a DVD copy of it but after watching the first 10 min, I don't think I'll ever finish it -- the very same reason for me trying to go through The Twins Effect but ending up failing to keep my interest up after less than 15 min. These movies are just too super wacky for my preferences.

However, I have to say that Donnie's action choreography is actually pretty good here. This, and the aforementioned movie contain some good stuff that would later shape Donnie's style the way it is today. He continues to surprise me, regardless of the material given to him, and of scale-sized productions. More hidden Donnie Yen choreography stuff coming up...

That's too funny, I love it !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

We also need to mention Chris Yen as the nunchaku-wielding Enchantress. Donnie's little sister even ended up on The Today Show and mentioned the film.

I remember Donnie saying that he had big plans for his sister entering showbiz but this was around the early 2010s. Since then, we haven't seen anything materialize for her. I wonder if she changed her mind about acting, or things just didn't work out.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DiP said:

I remember Donnie saying that he had big plans for his sister entering showbiz but this was around the early 2010s. Since then, we haven't seen anything materialize for her. I wonder if she changed her mind about acting, or things just didn't work out.

yeah, I remember she started some street wear clothing company but I think that went defunct and the last I heard is that she went into real estate in Los Angeles. Shame as she certainly had the talent to become a star.

Yes, I agree about Sara. I remember picking that up after I read about her giving up her goody two shoes image to take on a provocative role in a Cat 3 film.

3 hours ago, DiP said:

She did do a few more movies, but in the U.S.  She played a character named Mauler in Give 'Em Hell Malone and then appeared in Kenn Scott's martial arts fantasy film The Adventures of Johnny Tao, but I think she left acting afterwards. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

yeah, I remember she started some street wear clothing company but I think that went defunct and the last I heard is that she went into real estate in Los Angeles. Shame as she certainly had the talent to become a star.

A pity indeed. But wherever her heart is set to, I wish her the best in life.

53 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

She did do a few more movies, but in the U.S.  She played a character named Mauler in Give 'Em Hell Malone and then appeared in Kenn Scott's martial arts fantasy film The Adventures of Johnny Tao, but I think she left acting afterwards. 

Fist clip looks stylish and rich in production values (for an indi production), second looks quite cheap.

I hope she returns one day. She may be in her early 50s now but I'm sure she's very fit for action filmmaking.