Image Released Shaw brothers

Guest Mr Dragula

Guest Mr Dragula

What are the actual decent (if any) Image released Shaw Brothers?

Also, does anyone have a listing of the releases they've put out thus far?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

AFAIK, they all suffer from being a PAL-NTSC transfer dragged into NTSC speed, with very obvious picture flaws. The Cantonese films were in Mandarin, Bells Of Death has aspect ratio problems and the English dubs are not present on several titles despite being avaliable to the company

Jolly bad show, really

Titles so far off the top of my head

Black Magic

Super Inframan

Cave Of Siken Web

The Water Margin

Boxer's Omen

Have Sword, Will Travel

Legendary Weapons Of China

The Wandering Swordsman

The Bells Of Death

Heaven And Hell

the only IMAGE tittles i have are BLACK MAGIC--SUPERINFRA MAN and LEGENDARY WEAPONS. not the best transfers but still a vast improvement over my old vhs versions and yes i bought these for the english dubs. oh yes i also got SHADOW WHIP--no dub. IMAGE promised to include dub versions on most of their releases but so far have failed to do so even afer they were supplied with them--no explanation as yet to why. they still have more releases coming up - so we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Guest Mr Dragula

I was looking into getting Black Magic, but remembered reading over horrid accounts of the Image shaw line. Argh. I was expected the poor pal conversion, but faulty audio tracks as well? Weak.

Guest oldeschool17

Image ****in sucks. If Linn left them in the dust, you know they just dont give a damn about putting out a quality product for the fans. Not to also mention, they make no effort to interact with their fans in feedbac, criticism, and customer service.

Guest Mantis FIST

I dont know what all the moaning is about bad pic quality. To me they look just fine. I have Black Magic and 18 weapons of china. Legend was nice as it has the orig eng dub, but that is for me the only reason to get it. Same with the two other eng dubs.

Dont expect any cool xtras like the DD.

Guest Chen Zhen

the only image dvd i have is the legendary weapons...which, like my man mantis fist, i bought mainly for the english dub...i had no problem with the disc.

the other films dont look bad or anything to me, the reason i wont buy them is cuz none of the other titles interest me...they need to release some more shapes flix with the english dub and i'll be happy

Guest Mr Dragula

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm more concerned with the wrong language tracks than the visual artifacts, which releases does this effect?

It's a bit of a catch 22, i'd like to support region 1 shaw releases but at the same time feel buying bungled releases only encourages further mishaps.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

DVD authoring glitches aside, I think they also made a mistake not releasing enough straight kung fu movies, like Chen Zhen implies. Too much wu xia and fantasy/horror stuff. Weird choices, really. You'd think they'd hook the customers in with mad shapes and then gradually branch out into horror, drama, etc.

Guest Mr Dragula

As much as I dislike it, I can see their reasoning. Just trying to garner sales via the Asian horror boom from a few years back, and current exploitation markets. Though it seems they've missed the boat a bit there, obviously they'd of done better playing to the already established shaw fan base.

I'm all for the wu xia, but must agree from what i've been reading they most definitely seem light on traditional kung fu releasings.

Archived