RIP Paul Reubens (1952-2023)

AlbertV

Paul Reubens Is Worth Less Than You Think

https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/paul-reubens-dead-pee-wee-herman-actor-was-70/

The comic legend died of cancer at the age of 70. Known for Pee Wee Herman, he made his film debut in 1980's Midnight Madness as the arcade manager dressed like a cowboy. He would also appear in "Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams" as the "Hamburger Man". He also played the bus driver "Albert" in "Meatballs Part II" before his immortalization as Pee Wee Herman. RIP.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Sad 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk

RIP. From what I'm reading, he was a truly beautiful person and completely selfless. We lost a good one today.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Farewell Mr. Reubens, thanks for allowing yourself to be the butt of so many jokes in order to make us laugh. You'll be missed.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Here are some non Pee-Wee Herman performances from Paul Reubens, starting with his first movie role, the manager of Pinball City in 1980's Midnight Madness

His first collaboration with Cheech and Chong, Next Movie as an arrogant hotel front desk clerk. 

1981's Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams, where he played the "Hamburger Man", Howie

As camp bus driver Albert in Meatballs Part II

As the vampire Amilyn in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

His critically acclaim performance as drug dealer Derek Forage in Blow

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Very sad news. He was an incredibly funny entertainer.

On HBO there was a filmed special of his stage act THE PEE WEE HERMAN SHOW (with Phil Hartman as "Kap'n Karl") that my family watched a lot, so I was thrilled when I heard that he was doing a movie. I still clearly remember as a teen taking a date to see PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE and when she laughed as hard as I did I knew we were on the same goofy wavelength*. :bigsmile: There was a guy behind us with his daughters (who looked a bit younger than us) and he had a fantastic laugh and was having a great time throughout the movie. But when it ended he said "That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen." as though it was beneath him. We both turned at the same time in our seats and looked at him in disbelief. His face flushed with embarrassment and he laughed like- okay, you busted me. :wink:

I was always glad to see Reubens pop up in small roles in things, like as the waiter in THE BLUES BROTHERS, Cheech & Chong movies (as mentioned), and even on Mork & Mindy (a hugely popular TV show starring Robin Williams from '78-82').

This news bummed me out when I first heard it, but @Karlos suggested I play Tequila and embrace the memory instead of wallowing in the sadness. So I played the song on my phone, grabbed my wife by the hand, and pulled her up to dance (she's used to me being a nut, and always ready to have fun). Good advice. Thanks, brother.

* She could laugh at Pee Wee, but also loved DAY OF THE DEAD, which we saw a few weeks earlier that same summer of 85'. A very cool lady, and we're still friends to this day.

• Buddha Bless You 2