Worst Shaw Brothers directors (any genre)?

Guest Steve Barr

Guest Steve Barr

I recently worked my way through a bunch (~30) Chang Cheh films in rough chronological order; it was a good way to see his films and I have new respect for him as a director.

So, leaving fine directors such as Chang, Chu Yuan, and King Hu aside, who were the real hacks at Shaw Brothers? I'd like to work through the bad ones next.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on this forum (I think it was sevenhooks) wrote a nice long post once talking about the Shaw studio system and how it may have limited the directors a bit and maybe kept the Shaw films from reaching the same heights as, say the Kurosawa films---and I think that was true. But conversely, I think the Shaw system may have really kept the "hack" directors from making too many unwatchable bombs. When you had so many of the same actors, writers, art directors, fight choreographers, cameramen, etc., all working for the different directors, it was hard for the directors to really mess things up that badly. That's one thing that strikes me about the Shaw films in general---the fairly remarkable consistency in quality.

Archived