Joy Ride (2023) - Ashley Park, Stephanie Hsu, Sherry Cola, Sabrina Wu

laagi

If you're a fan of raunchy comedies targeted at adults and mainly focused on female genitalia this will be right up your alley (pun intended). Believe me this will make A LOT of sense after you've watched the movie!

Not much to add here honestly. If you watch the trailer and have a big nasty smile on your face go see 'Joy Ride'. If you don't I pity you for your lack of adolescent potty humor :khi7k:

BTW, obviously guys are not the main target audience here but I still had a good time! I need more adult comedies again in my life. Remember the 90's and early 00's... YES please!

• Like 1

This was horrible. I couldn't even finish it. I felt second hand embarassment for the actresses especially Stephanie Hsu even if it was a body double.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PandaPawPaw

Even though I like Ashley Park, I don't think I could watch this.

Yeah I couldn't get through the trailer either and I really am not a fan of that Sherry girl. She's annoying/lame/unfunny as fuck!

• Haha 2

Drunken Monk

Energetic and charismatic but ultimately entirely unfunny. So few of the jokes actually hit and a lot of the time the gags are cringe worthy and try hard. If this was a dramedy, it may have worked. But it’s an outright comedy and comedies need to be funny.

You can tell it runs out of steam when it delivers a musical number and a pussy shot in quick succession. Talk about clutching at straws.

The characters are cool and the film has some interesting stuff to say about race and acceptance. But all this is housed in a humor-less mess that goes for low hanging fruit and still misses.

Can someone please help me put this into perspective:

The media is frequently talking about how sexualizing Asian women in media is bad because it brings to mind stereotypes of China Dolls (submissive and wants to please her Man) and Dragon Ladies (uses their sexuality to seduce and destroy).

But the pre-release buzz for Joy Ride had interviews of the actresses droning on about making a raunchy sex comedy made them proud because...female empowerment and stuff.

Isn't the end result the same? Some will find it funny or amusing; some may find it titillating; some may get off on it in unhealthy ways; and some may walk away with the wrong message about Asian girls and sexuality?

Edited by DrNgor

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Can someone please help me put this into perspective:

The media is frequently talking about how sexualizing Asian women in media is bad because it brings to mind stereotypes of China Dolls (submissive and wants to please her Man) and Dragon Ladies (uses their sexuality to seduce and destroy).

But the pre-release buzz for Joy Ride had interviews of the actresses droning on about making a raunchy sex comedy made them proud because...female empowerment and stuff.

Isn't the end result the same? Some will find it funny or amusing; some may find it titillating; some may get off on it in unhealthy ways; and some may walk away with the wrong message about Asian girls and sexuality?

Maybe we should just stop to overanalyze entertainment all together. Because honestly to what good does it lead?

I for one enjoyed the movie for what it is a raunchy adult comedy with four female protagonists. I don't care if they're asian, black, white, trans, gay or what not.

It's a movie and JUST that. Not everythig needs a message! Just my two cents. I wouldn't try to read too much into it or else you're gonna lose it.