Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk
7 hours ago, Django said:

Snuff Bottle Connection

Green Jade Statuette

7 Grandmasters

Fistful of Talons

Maybe The Loot if she liked The Victim? Bandits Prostitues and Silver

I think A Fistful of Talons would upset her due to THAT moment (she works at a veterinary clinic) but Snuff Bottle seems to be a good choice!

I’m having her watch The Victim soon. The. I’ll test The Loot out. I myself haven’t seen The Loot in quite some time.

• Like 1

Oh, that's right. Might not be so suitable maybe. It just comes to mind as one of those Kung Fu films that looks so great, cinematically speaking. The opening scenr looks like it could've been directed by Sergio Leone! (Ok maybe not, but almost!)

I love all Sun Chung films but this one stands out for me because it first of all has Billy Chong and Whang in Sik in the same movie, and secondly, it wasn't not a Shaw Brothers film so it doesn't have that theatrical studio feel to it which gives his directing a more unique flavour. 

Maybe you could try with the Wang Yu classics like The Chinese Boxer, One Armed Boxer or Tiger and Crane Fist?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, Django said:

Maybe you could try with the Wang Yu classics like The Chinese Boxer, One Armed Boxer or Tiger and Crane Fist?

I myself haven’t seen Crane Fist so maybe I need to look that one up. The other two are great recommendations. I think she’d enjoy both. I think I’d enjoy rewatching them too.

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry

Return of the Tiger

Invincible Armor

Shaolin Traitor

Iron Chain Assassin

Thou Shall not Kill

Tiger over Wall

Easier to think of swordplays with little to no comedy and great drama like What Price Honesty and The Sword.  

If you ever want to try something comedic again there’s plenty of other flavors like Shaolin Mantis which has a playful comedic chemistry with the 2 leads or Kung Fu Zombie which is more of a screwball comedy.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

...which is more of a screwball comedy.  

It's definitely the screwball stuff I'm trying to avoid. I'm having my wife watch Shaolin Mantis next week, which I think she'll like. Nothing too wacky in that one.

• Like 1

Born Invincible has 0 comedy (0 intentional comedy, anyway). 

Iron Monkey (1977) has got to be one of the darkest classic MA flicks.

Martial Arts of Shaolin has maybe one goofy crossdressing gag, but it's plot-relevant and doesn't drag on.

Outside of Leg Fighters and a couple others, Tso Nam Lee tends toward the humorless. I'm surprised even Shaolin vs. Lama's comedy was too much for her. I know that one has some comedy, but it's barely 1% of the movie.

Invincible Shaolin (it has the scrambled eggs scene, but it's actually kinda funny and appropriate, unlike the usual facial mugging style of comedy in the genre).

I remember a bunch of Angela Mao films being pretty grim and humorless. 

Human Lanterns. Various humorless wuxia films Shaw Brothers did. 

Sometimes a genre just isn't a person's cuppa.

Edited by SDJ
  • Like 3

Kung Fu Executioner w/Billy Chong

The Revenger w/Ti Lung

Dynasty w/Tan Tao Liang

Edited by SunChien