Various Chambara

Shosetsu

Chambara is the Japanese word for Swordfights done in the Cinema.  The word itself originated from the sound of two swords clashing.  Chambara began in the Silent movies with actors such as Okochi Denjiro and Bando Tsumasaburo.  The earliest Chambara on film was actually more of a dance rather than a fight.  Not realistic at all but more along the lines of Kabuki action.  But as time went on, the sword action became more realistic.  Even the Camera-work improved a lot because the earliest films had just a static single viewpoint for an entire scene.  

• Like 2

For a long time I used to think that the Sword technique of Jigen-ryu was fictional, but now I see it was factual.  It is the Sword technique of holding the Sword at Hasso Kamae, that is, at your side but vertically.  The difference between Jigen-ryu and Hasso is Jigen has the Sword held vertically and above your head.  To many Kendoists, it does not appear to be a good stance.  Even Jodan Kamae is rarely used in tournaments because the Sword is held above your head but it's right above your head whereas Jigenryu has it above but at your side.

Even Jodan Kamae is rare because many Kendoists were surprised when it was used by a participant in the World Kendo in the 1970s.  The participant was Hironobu Sato.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

In addition to what was posted previously about Jigen-ryu, the time I saw it on film was in the series Yagyu Jubei Abaretabi, starring Sonny Chiba as Jubei.  I remember Jubei had to take his adversary in alive, so Jubei flipped his blade over to its blunt-side before clashing.  

• Like 1

The other day when I visited my friend's house, he played a DVD of Sword of Doom.  I don't know whether it's a discrepancy or not, but it's what I noticed in the scene of Ryunosuke in a bokken match with his opponent.  Evidently the opponent cheated by doing a tsuki (Sword-thrust) at Ryunosuke's throat.  Ryunosuke dodged the thrust.  But I don't know why the referee called the throat- attack illegal when it was always acceptable in tournaments.  Maybe it was because there were different rules for the bokken weapon as compared to the shinai weapon.  Maybe.

It was only for a brief period that the tsuki-move was outlawed in tournaments.  But no, certainly not when you had matches in the time period where the Ryunosuke scene was supposed to have taken place.  

Instead I'm referring to the modern day period where protective gear was invented and was made a requirement.  During that time, the tsuki was outlawed for a brief period because of a tragic accident where a participant's Shinai- sword managed to accidentally slip beneath the throat-area's protective leather flap.  As a result, improvements were made on that leather flap to make it more secure.  At that point, the tsuki -move was reinstated again.  I had to bring up those rules to make a clarification about the scene in the Sword Of Doom film.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:29 PM, Django said:

I watched a DVD of Samurai Assassin recently, it was widescreen but not the best quality. But wow what a great film! 

Yes it is.  I'm glad you enjoyed that film.  What's interesting to note is that Ogami's Sword technique is the Suio-Ryu, which is based on an actual technique that survives to this day in various dojos.  It was introduced to America by sensei Kiyoshi Yamazaki who also arranged the Sword-choreography in the Conan films.

• Like 1

Back during the 1980s I remember reading an issue of Black Belt magazine which featured a somewhat controversial topic about a huge Korean Sword.  Whoever used that Sword must have been a Korean who was over 7 ft tall.

But then another scholar made the point that the huge Sword was actually not for combative use.  Instead it was a Processional Sword.  What that means is when paraders march in a parade or procession, therefore called a Processional Sword.  The Sword is held by a marcher who marches at the forefront of the procession.  It is held by both hands in front of him.  And the Sword's blade is pointing downward to show this is a time of peace.

What a surprise to see actor Ryuji Shinagawa in the series Two Poor Ronin.  Actually he plays a Yakuza who accompanies those two ronin who are played by actors Hira Mikijiro and Hamahata Kenkichi.  Interesting that the aforementioned Shinagawa is playing basically the same kind of character that he was famous for in the series Hanayama Daikichi.  Because in the Daikichi series, he played the same kind of character, that of a Yakuza.

Very good to see actor Hiroki Matsukata acting as Hanayama Daikichi--especially because he's taking over the role that his own Father made famous, namely Konoe Jushiro.  This time, however, the film has added a comical flavor by making Daikichi have an abnormal phobia of Cats.  The Jushiro version never had that phobia at all.  

Also his sidekick, Yaichi, is more serious than the original role that was played by Ryuji Shinagawa.  The Shinagawa version was extremely comical.  Shinagawa was well-known for his malleable face, that could contort in numerous ways.

There is etiquette involved when you want to look at and admire the blade of somebody's samurai sword. The owner lets you draw the sword from its scabbard yourself but the sword has to be held in front of you horizontally.  Then you slowly unsheathe the blade but for just one inch only.  It's at that point that you look at the owner.  Then the owner will nod his head, at which point you can unsheathe fully.

Although the series, Akoroshi, is based on actual history, I think that the characters of Hotta Hayato and Spider Jinjuro are fictional.  What those two characters present to us, the audience, is to present the perspective from a third party, that is, those who are Not actually involved in the incident.  Or you could say, the perspective of an Unbiased observer.  Some already know that Oishi is leading a life of debauchery with prostitutes and drunkenness in order to  lull Kira into a false sense of security that Oishi has forgotten the Asano vendetta.  But Hotta makes the additional observation that Oishi's debauchery is also derived from Oishi's realization that Oishi will die by the end of the year.  That is, Oishi knows that he himself will die soon, so why not get as much pleasure as possible, live it up.

In the Blind Swordsman series,It was a surprise to me to see Matsudaira Ken playing an evil role.  Very surprising after seeing him play the title role of the Shogun himself in the series Abarenbo Shogun for over 800 episodes.  Of course I have not seen every single episode but only sporadically.  

In that Blind Swordsman series,  Matsudaira instead  plays a bounty hunter.  But this bounty hunter is ruthless to the extreme because he even fights other bounty hunters so that he alone can get at the reward money.

What really makes him evil is that the fugitive he's after is actually innocent.  And he knows the innocence can be proven, but he still intends to kill the fugitive anyway just to get the reward money.  To my relief, the bounty hunter gets killed in the end.

Despite my surprise at seeing Matsudaira portraying evil,  I in all fairness have to  include Tsukigata Ryunosuke.  Because in the 1950s films, Tsukigata was so well known for playing the role of the evil Kira Kozukenosuke (as well as other villains), but later on became known for his role of the heroic Mito Komon.

• Like 1

Totally unexpected to me was the appearance of Yujiro Ishihara in a Zatoichi episode.  Totally unexpected because I've seen Ishihara in theatrical movies only---so this was the first time I've seen him in a TV program.  The role he played was especially sympathetic because his character of Yabuki was gradually becoming blind just like Zatoichi.  In the close friendship that developed, Ichi tries teaching him how to compensate for his handicap.  An unexpected role for Ishihara who is mostly known for his movie Kagegari.

BigDruDogg

I was able to get the Sleepy Eyes of Death series during the holidays, I'm looking forward to finally checking them out!!

• Like 1

CipherPol
On 10/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, Shosetsu said:

Very good to see actor Hiroki Matsukata acting as Hanayama Daikichi--especially because he's taking over the role that his own Father made famous, namely Konoe Jushiro.  This time, however, the film has added a comical flavor by making Daikichi have an abnormal phobia of Cats.  The Jushiro version never had that phobia at all. 

Konoe Jushiro is a legend and so is his son. My favorite movies from Jushiro are Ninja Gari and of course the Yagyu Bugeicho series. Another father and son favorite of mine is Utaemon Ichikawa and Kinya Kitaoji. Kinya Kitaoji played a masterful musashi in Sorekara no Musashi!

Edited by CipherPol

On 1/3/2024 at 9:19 AM, CipherPol said:

Konoe Jushiro is a legend and so is his son. My favorite movies from Jushiro are Ninja Gari and of course the Yagyu Bugeicho series. Another father and son favorite of mine is Utaemon Ichikawa and Kinya Kitaoji. Kinya Kitaoji played a masterful musashi in Sorekara no Musashi!

Besides Musashi, Kitaoji also played Ogami Itto in the TV version of Lone Wolf and Cub.

• Like 1

Specifically in episode 8 of the Tamura version of Nemuri Kyoshiro, I notice it is a Remake of the Raizo version about the renegade group called the Black Finger group.  I don't recognize the actor who plays the Black Finger leader in this Tamura version but I at least remember that the one in the Raizo version was played by Mikio Narita.

Shosetsu

In the series Secret Journey of Shogun Iemitsu, what surprised me was the Actor playing the supporting character of Yagyu Jubei.  The actor is Hiroshi Katsuno.  What's ironic is that Katsuno had previously played the Younger brother of Yagyu Jubei, namely Yagyu Matajuro.  That was in the other tv series Yagyu Abaretabi.   So it's certainly interesting that the same actor plays two different brothers.

Shosetsu

From time to time there is debate as to whether Kojiro Sasaki really carried his Sword on his back.  The skepticism is that it's not practical at all, because he would have not enough clearance to draw the sword because the sword is longer than one's arm.  Yet the false myth persists due to the popularity of those films.

Also, if you look at Europe, if the sword was carried on one's back, it would be the swordman's assistant or squire.  But the Swordsman himself would not carry the sword on his back if it was meant to be drawn at a  moment's notice.

Shosetsu

In the TV series starring Tamura Masakazu as Nemuri, episode #14 "The Full Moon Cut dances for the New Year," the episode for New Year's Day, had a huge surprise!  It has a guest appearance by none other than Renzaburo Shibata who was the writer/creator of Nemuri Kyoshiro!  Shibata actually appears as a character in the episode.  This is the first time I've seen the creator of a character actually appear in the film of the character.  Makes me wonder whether it happened with any other writer or not.

• Like 1

Shosetsu

Besides the Nemuri series, Renzaburo Shibata also wrote the novel Fateful Mountain Pass on which the tv series is based.  Descendants of the Toyotomi are on the run from the ninjas of the Tokugawa.  The Toyotomi are helped by the ronin, Akizuki.  Appearing in episode 7 was a martial arts expert of chain and sickle.  Strangely, his name is Baiken Togakure.  Strange because the actual historical fighter was named Baiken Shishido, famous for his chain and sickle fighting.  Strangely the first name of Baiken is the same in both cases but the family name is different.  Instead of Shishido, the character in this episode has the last name of Togakure which is actually the name of a specific technique of ninjutsu.

• Like 1