The Fastest Sword 68'

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"SPOILERS ALERT" Markgway, I know you were planning on pickin this one up so... I don't give it all away, but there are some very important turns in the story that I do give away.

Just veiwed this obscure Shaw Bros. remaster last week. Figured I'd post a little info in case anybody was considering purchasing it. I was weary about this one because I didn't recognize any names in the cast, though I did recognize two or three of the male supporting actors upon watching the film.

Pan Lei, directs this feature and I'm not sure I've seen any of his films save for this one. I must say he did a really good job for the most part.

The film starts off with Chu Ching dueling with three warriors who want revenge for the death of their brother at his hands. He explains it was a duel and his brother lost, but they won't have it, so he then dispatches of them with particular brutality. These deaths are witnessed by a monk who, apparently sees promise in Chu, and so challenges him to a duel as well where the loser must obey the winner for no less than three years. Much to the famous and feared Chu's "fastest sword" (as he is known in the swordsmanship world) chagrin and surprise, the monk defeats him with ease.

The monk then helps Chu find another talent that Chu can foster, therefore rendering him an alternative to swordplay and killing. Chu dosen't bother much with this new knowledge until a young man of 18 years old decides he wants to be known as the "fastest sword" (this happens to Chu on a daily basis). Chu refuses the request for a duel and walks away, but the youth won't take no for an answer, and so attacks Chu from behind forcing Chu to turn and defend himself.

In this act Chu accidently unsheaths his sword and kills the young man, much to his dismay. He then decides to pursue his newly learned talent.

But much to Chu's wearying fame he is constantly being recognized and pursued by challengers. One challenger particulary gifted and known as the Northern Sword as Chu we find is known as the Southern Sword will not give up and resorts to any measure to get Chu to weild his weapon once again.

The last fight between these to is very good, though there is a scene where the director decides to magnify the intensity of the battle by using some slo-mo technique that just did not work, it's only for 45 seconds or so, but otherwise this is a pretty kick ass fight. In fact most of the fights are well done.

That's all I'm gonna give away. There is much more to the film.

I guess I'd rate it as 7/10

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thejadefacedassassin

Great review but Lu Ping is the actor who plays the fastest sword and Chu Ching is the actress billed first although her role is relatively minor.

:rollin What a stupid ass I am.

Actually, at first I assumed that, but since she really has very little to do in the film, and the first name on the back of the DVD is Chu Ching, I guessed it would have been the male lead's name. In fact, I did check out the filmography as well, but I was to lazy to reproof whether his name was Lu Ping or Chu Ching. In the filmography they explain how he (Lu Ping) was considered THE tough guy of Taiwanese cinema back in his day.

Archived