Is this THE Magic Ring?

chingdog

Globe is the only one who has a copy afaik or at least a screener form Celestial. He posted a few scenes on the forum without sound.

Anything else is probably a scam?!

• Like 1

Yeah I’ve never heard of this company you enter a user name and password then they want credit card info for access. 

• Like 1

osbournecox
1 hour ago, chingdog said:

Yeah I’ve never heard of this company you enter a user name and password then they want credit card info for access. 

that's exactly what i thought. it costs $0.00 to watch a movie but you have to be a paying member. out of curiosity: do they at least say what the membership costs? or is it one of those scams where they claim the credit card number is "only for potential future purchases" ..

Edited by osbournecox
  • Like 1

I was looking for some movies a few weeks ago and kept finding similar sites. I had a prepaid debit card with a few bucks left on it so I entered that since I couldn't really get burned. Was taken to the main page of the site and couldn't find any trace of the movie that led me there. The whole experience was very frustrating.

• Like 1

One of the few lost films I still hope to see someday. Here's a review from someone who actually saw the movie.  This was posted on either Giles old site or FLK from 2003 ... by our very own Kwok Choi. (Yes, I keep everything. My computer is like the Wayback Machine for martial films - lol)

"I have seen The Magic Ring in the theatre around 1977-79 and have not seen it since on any format whatsoever. It stars Chia Ling, Barry Chan and that little kid with the nunchakus in Bruce Lee's Secret. I can't give a constructive plot as I have forgotten it but I do remember a fair amount. Chang Yi's performance in this movie is the equivalent of Carter Wong's in The Legendary Strike. He was unbeatable; just too good. If I correctly recall, it was set during the Sung, Ming or Ching Dynasty with a patriot versus traitors and ambitious generals’ theme and a little bit of fantasy in places. It is not really a magic film as the title suggests but the ring is very important to the plot (I think there was a brilliant quest to acquire it a la Indiana Jones) and it was the only thing capable of destroying Chang Yi.  This is one of my all-time favorite independent films (it is not the Shaw Brothers version) and my favorite Chia Ling movie. The martial arts is awesome for a movie this old. Chia Ling is the main protagonist with a no-nonsense badass attitude Barry Chan, the kid, and another guy who stammers (injecting occasional brief comic relief) are just supporting but have vital roles.  Chang Yi also had another ace up his sleeve for our heroine and co which was a magic scorpion that can increase in size and transform to an almost human form and pulverize anything in it's way. This is where The Magic Ring deserves the title of this movie as Chia Ling belatedly had to use it. She flung the ring at the scorpion and it stuck round the scorpion's neck which made it go mad and then attacked its master. Chang Yi almost killed it but it stung him in the leg with its HUGE VENOMOUS tail which eventually sent him to his maker.  Overall, this movie is a Must Buy if it is ever remastered. Good acting, awesome martial arts, brilliant mandarin dialogue and I just loved it including Chia Ling."

• Like 2