Eye for an Eye (2022) & Eye for an Eye 2 (2024) Dir. Yang Bing Jia (China)

Yihetuan

This was a small sensation in China because it was surprisingly successful and made a very good profit. A second movie is going to be released in China very, very soon, there's already a trailer and release date for it, I believe.

I actually enjoyed it a lot, one of the best chinese webmovies I've seen so far. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, chonk said:

This was a small sensation in China because it was surprisingly successful and made a very good profit. A second movie is going to be released in China very, very soon, there's already a trailer and release date for it, I believe.

I actually enjoyed it a lot, one of the best chinese webmovies I've seen so far. 

Glad to hear it was a worthwhile watch. I've seen a few of these web movies that look decent in the trailer but end up complete shit when you watch the whole thing.

yeah, here's the trailer for the sequel. Seems like it's borrowing from Lone Wolf & Cub this time in addition to Zatoichi.

• Like 4

Found this on Videoeta.com a couple of days ago but can't find verification elsewhere yet -

Well Go USA will release Eye for an Eye: The Blind Swordsman on Blu-ray and DVD on November 28, 2023.

https://videoeta.com/items/252818-eve-for-an-eve:-the-blind-swordsman 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21318724/?ref_=nm_knf_t_3 

• Like 2

What I don't get is why are there a couple of upcoming titles that are not being promoted on the Well Go website, only listed on Videoeta.com and on Amazon. Eye for an Eye is not being released on Blu-ray, but Ultimate Blades will be released in less than a month on Blu-ray and DVD, and I can only find that info on videoeta and Amazon. There is no listing for Ultimate Blades on Blu-ray.com  Why isn't Well Go promoting these titles? Is it because they've already been shown on Hiyah? 

So I just checked the Videoeta.com site again and Eye for an Eye is now listed as being released on Blu-ray and DVD. Several days ago it was listed only as a DVD.

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

What I don't get is why are there a couple of upcoming titles that are not being promoted on the Well Go website, only listed on Videoeta.com and on Amazon. Eye for an Eye is not being released on Blu-ray, but Ultimate Blades will be released in less than a month on Blu-ray and DVD, and I can only find that info on videoeta and Amazon. There is no listing for Ultimate Blades on Blu-ray.com  Why isn't Well Go promoting these titles? Is it because they've already been shown on Hiyah? 

So I just checked the Videoeta.com site again and Eye for an Eye is now listed as being released on Blu-ray and DVD. Several days ago it was listed only as a DVD.

Are you sure Ultimate Blades 2 disc set will be released on blu ray? I've only seen it listed as being released on dvd?

Since Eye for an Eye is so short, I would have liked for them to release a double-bill with the sequel. But the sequel hasn't even hit Hi-Yah! yet.
Hopefully, the Blu Ray is cheaper than your average feature length flick.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Since Eye for an Eye is so short, I would have liked for them to release a double-bill with the sequel. But the sequel hasn't even hit Hi-Yah! yet.
Hopefully, the Blu Ray is cheaper than your average feature length flick.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Oh shit, I just saw that Eye for an Eye will be DVD only. Fuck that. I won't be picking it up then.

I'm confused now? Amazon lists Eye for an Eye: The Blindswordman as having a blu ray release the same date as the dvd release. So are you saying this is incorrect?

Screenshot_2023-09-08 Amazon com Eye For An Eye The Blind Swordsman Xie Miao Movies TV.png

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm confused now? Amazon lists Eye for an Eye: The Blindswordman as having a blu ray release the same date as the dvd release. So are you saying this is incorrect?

Screenshot_2023-09-08 Amazon com Eye For An Eye The Blind Swordsman Xie Miao Movies TV.png

Oh I’m just going off what @whitesnake said above. I see the Amazon place holder now so it looks like a Blu Ray is on the horizon. Lovely! I’m a happy man again.

Sorry, I got confused, and I apologize for the misinformation. My bad. Videoeta lists Ultimate Blades as only available on DVD. No Blu-ray. Release date Oct 3, 2023

https://videoeta.com/items/252500-ultimate-blades-2-movie-collection

And Videoeta lists Eye for an Eye as being available on Blu-ray and DVD, both to be released on November 28, 2023. 

https://videoeta.com/items/252818-eve-for-an-eve:-the-blind-swordsman  Yes, "eve for an eve", even though the title is eye for an eye. Amazon Blu-ray listing -

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Blind-Swordsman-Xie-Miao/dp/B0CH3RFXJ6/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1694234544&sr=1-10

One Armed Boxer
On 6/11/2023 at 11:30 AM, chonk said:

On 7/7/2023 at 4:01 AM, americanpzycho said:

I watched this one last night. It surprised me for sure. Very enjoyable.

Agree with you guys, this was definitely a pleasant surprise! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/eye-for-an-eye-the-blind-swordsman-2022-review-xie-miao/

• Like 4

This is probably my most anticipated film of the year‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️ I CANT WAIT TO GET THE BLU-RAY NEXT WEEK 👍👍🥋🥋👊👊🐉🐉💯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

And this poster artwork really is Amazing as well. I wish Well Go used this poster for the Blu-ray art🙏🙏🙏

Screenshot_20231117_154528_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/17/2023 at 6:15 AM, Ronin said:

Watched this on HI-YAH! last night and was really blown away. Excellent film, bring on the sequel.

I had low expectations going in thinking this was another of the myriad of low budget Chinese DTV releases that they churn out regularly filled with mediocre CGI but like you and @One Armed Boxer enjoyed it quite a bit. It's most certainly not just a Zatoichi knock off as the protagonist uses his fists and hand fighting more than his sword and the cinematography was uniformly good with a stunning shot during the final fight in the snow.

• Like 4

Finally got my copy in the mail. I am going to check out this bad boy this weekend 👊🐉🥋👍💯🔥‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I watched Eye for an Eye 2 this morning. It takes what the first film gave us and really cranks it up.

The plot isn’t anything we haven’t seen before (our titular blind swordsman has to track down a bad guy, this time with a child at his side) but the relationship that’s formed between Tse Miu’s character and the child feels genuine and enjoyable. It’s nice to see a new side of him.

As for the action. Oh boy. I loved the fight scenes in this one. More violent, filled with energy and shot well (minus a few cases of over the top editing). They’ll impress most of us, I imagine. Could there have been one more action beat? Yep. There’s a little time where we go without and I was left craving for some ass whoopery but there are more than enough throughout the film. It’s more a case of me being action hungry than a flaw of the film. These will definitely be some of the best action scenes of 2024. Even the kid has a very brief action sequence.

While I haven’t seen many 2024 films so far, this is going on my “Best of the year” list and may still be there on December 31st. I had a great time with this film. It balances action and drama incredibly well and delivers on being one hell of a sequel.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

I finally got around to watching E4E2 and I enjoyed it more than the original. The opening shot was fabulous and the voice over narration by the little girl was so eerily reminiscent of Shogun Assassin & it was quite violent and the action sequences (wire assist & CG) were impressive considering the budget. Like the first, the cinematography and visuals were top notch & though the finale is once again shot in the snow, it didn't feel repetitive. The villain this time around is really despicable. He gave me the vibes of the bloodlust crazed morally bereft Lord in 13 Assassins and you can't wait until he gets his comeuppance at the hands of Tse Miu.

The little street urchin played by actress Yang En You was the star for me. She just brought spunk & attitude to her role as she is hellbent on seeking revenge for the loss of her friend at the hands of the villain. While she takes on the role of Diagoro to Tse Miu's Ogami Itto, she really reminded me more of Natalie Portman's character in Leon. Really enjoyed her 'training' scenes with the calligraphy brush. I would not be surprised to hear she is a big name in a few years.

I'll be getting the eventual Well Go blu ray release as a part of my permanent library once it's release later this year.

Spoiler

For those wondering if there will be a part 3, if there is it will not be with Tse Miu as he dies at the end but the torch is passed onto Yang En You's character. So perhaps, and Eye for an Eye 3 with a female bounty hunter? I wouldn't mind seeing that! Of course, they would need a different and older actress in the title role & they can bring back Tse Miu for flashback or dream sequences.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Breez5050

@Drunken Monk

Nahhh......I would probably say the film of the year so far in 2024 is "The Wild Blade Of Strangers"....

Check that action masterpiece out and let me know if you still feel the same way

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, Breez5050 said:

@Drunken Monk

Nahhh......I would probably say the film of the year so far in 2024 is "The Wild Blade Of Strangers"....

Check that action masterpiece out and let me know if you still feel the same way

I didn’t think much of it at all. Especially the fight choreography. Quick edits, slow mo, obscured moves…

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Breez5050 said:

I sincerely hope that's a bad joke... that movie was just another disappointment to add to Max Zhang's filmography. But hey to each their own. The guys talent has been wasted so many times it's getting painful to watch.

• Like 1

Breez5050

"I sincerely hope that's a bad joke... that movie was just another disappointment to add to Max Zhang's filmography. But hey to each their own. The guys talent has been wasted so many times it's getting painful to watch."

Not a bad Joke. The movie was FIRE and the action scenes in the Wild Blade Of Strangers are Top Tier. Best Swordplay Action movie of 2024 and it has great ratings.