Superman (2025) - David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan; James Gunn to Write/Direct

AlbertV

superman-logo.jpg

James Gunn will be doing the first new Superman film to help kick off the upcoming DC Universe (DCU) and a set date is July 11, 2025.

After months of auditions, there are three finalists for the roles of Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane.

Up for Clark Kent/Superman

• Nicholas Hoult (Renfield, the X-Men films)
  • David Corenswet (Hollywood)
  • Tom Brittney (Grantchester)

Up for Lois Lane

• Emma Mackey (Barbie)
  • Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Ms. Maisel)
  • Phoebe Dyvenor (Bridgerton)

The roles of Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen will be cast after these two roles are officially cast. 

https://deadline.com/2023/06/superman-legacy-screen-tests-clark-kent-lois-lane-1235409997/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

I don't know about his acting abilities, but David Corenswet looks perfect for the role of Superman. They defiantly need to pick him. As for the Lois Lane picks, I would go with Rachel Brosnahan. I think she looks about right for the part.

• Like 1

David Corenswet is officially the new Superman/Clark Kent

David Corenswet: 12 facts about Look Both Ways actor you need to know -  PopBuzz

Rachel Brosnahan is the new Lois Lane

Rachel Brosnahan Interview: Star Talks Mrs. Maisel

James Gunn confirmed the news

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

David Corenswet is officially the new Superman/Clark Kent

David Corenswet: 12 facts about Look Both Ways actor you need to know -  PopBuzz

Rachel Brosnahan is the new Lois Lane

Rachel Brosnahan Interview: Star Talks Mrs. Maisel

James Gunn confirmed the news

Damn, they actually listened to me. lol

• Like 3

They went with the obvious choice. I can't see Nicholas Hoult and Tom Brittney playing Clark Kent/Superman. I would have preferred Cavill again.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

Solid casting choices. With this one, I hope James Gunn reins in brand of comedy. It worked with The Suicide Squad but I don't think we need a goofy Superman film. I hope he does for a mature script.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Is it me or does Rachel Brosnahan have a certain Margot Kidder vibe? (And I could not stand Margot Kidder as Lois Lane.)

Honestly, I don't think there's been a Superman movie yet that has properly cast the Lois Lane character, but that's me.

22 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Will this be another origin story?

God forbid, right? Superman's origin is established; let's move on. I think Marvel got it right with the Tom Holland version of Spider-Man in that they didn't feel the need to tell his origin once again. Everybody knows it. They may have merely referenced it at one point and kept truckin'.

I will say this now: I want a different villain. We've had a rendition of Doomsday, and Gen. Zod's been done. Seen Lex Luthor multiple times, but it's hard to have a Supes movie without him, so he'll be there. What I want is Metallo or Parasite or (please, please, please) Brainiac.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I will say this now: I want a different villain. We've had a rendition of Doomsday, and Gen. Zod's been done. Seen Lex Luthor multiple times, but it's hard to have a Supes movie without him, so he'll be there. What I want is Metallo or Parasite or (please, please, please) Brainiac.

I heard rumors that it might be Brainiac, which I think would be pretty of cool. Especially after having played a lot of DC Universe Online(Which has Brainiac as the main villain) 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
On 6/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Will this be another origin story?

I believe James Gunn has said it's similar to The Batman in that it won't be an origin story but it will feature a young-ish Clark Kent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I heard rumors that it might be Brainiac, which I think would be pretty of cool. Especially after having played a lot of DC Universe Online(Which has Brainiac as the main villain) 

Lex Luthor is going to be in the film in some capacity. Two names that came up for the role are brothers Alexander and Bill Skarsgard, but Gunn has not set anything in stone yet. 

https://movieweb.com/rumor-lex-luthor-superman-legacy-role/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Lex Luthor is going to be in the film in some capacity. Two names that came up for the role are brothers Alexander and Bill Skarsgard, but Gunn has not set anything in stone yet. 

https://movieweb.com/rumor-lex-luthor-superman-legacy-role/

I don't know anything about Alexander, but I thought Bill was excellent in John Wick 4. Based on that performance, I can see him being a pretty good Lex. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I don't know anything about Alexander, but I thought Bill was excellent in John Wick 4. Based on that performance, I can see him being a pretty good Lex. 

Alexander is best known as Eric Northman a vampire in True Blood. He also starred in Legend of Tarzan with Margot Robbie and Sam Jackson. He recently appeared in a horror film Infinity Pool with X's Mia Goth and he was also the main villain of the Straw Dogs remake that was out in 2011.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

superman-legacy-casts-three-heroes.jpg

New casting news:

Nathan Fillion will play Green Lantern/Guy Gardner
Isabella Merced will play Hawkgirl
Edi Gathegi will play Michael Holt/Mister Terrific

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/superman-legacy-nathan-fillion-isabela-merced-edi-gathegi-1235667292/

Seems like solid casting choices. That is only going by looks, due to only being familiar (as far as I know) with Nathan Fillion. Isabella is going to make a gorgeous Hawkgirl and I’m happy to see that Mister Terrific is going to be in the movie. He’s easily one of my favorite comic book characters.  And I’m sure Nathan will be great as Gardner. So yeah, I’m happy with all casting choices so far. Let’s hope they keep it up and that the writing is on par with the cast. You can have the best cast in the world, but they cannot do much if the script sucks. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Anthony Carrigan Metamorpho

From Gothan to Metropolis: Anthony Carrigan, who played Victor Szasz on the Batman prequel series, will play the superhero Metamorpho in Superman: Legacy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/superman-legacy-casts-anthony-carrigan-metamorpho-1235533648/

He was great in Gotham. So, it will be cool to see what he does with the role. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Officially cast:

Nicholas Hoult will play Lex Luthor
Skylar Gisondo will play Jimmy Olsen
Sara Sampaio will play Ms. Tessbacher

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/superman-legacy-casts-skyler-gisondo-jimmy-olsen-1235645745/

I'm actually very pleased so far with the casting choices. Seems like they are really trying to do a good film for the fans. 

Cast photo with James Gunn and Peter Safran...shooting begins very soon!!!

photo-cast-assemble-for-superman-legacy.

• Like 1

DarthKato
6 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Cast photo with James Gunn and Peter Safran...shooting begins very soon!!!

photo-cast-assemble-for-superman-legacy.

Here's hoping they can make something great. The cast is solid, so they are already off to a decent start. 

xRUMO6G.jpeg

The new shield has been revealed and the film will now be called simply Superman, taking the "legacy" out of the original title. 

• Like 1

DarthKato
4 hours ago, AlbertV said:

xRUMO6G.jpeg

The new shield has been revealed and the film will now be called simply Superman, taking the "legacy" out of the original title. 

Looks good. Cannot wait to see the whole suit. Is that snow on it? I wonder if that is a clue of something in the movie. Maybe we will get to see the Fortress of Solitude!

starschwar

The logo's solid.  It's a great S.

tenor.gif

Anyway, I'm back in.  I dropped the previous universe after BVS.  We have nowhere to go but up.  I'm not the biggest fan of Gunn's Guardians to put it mildly, but their biggest problems were across-the-board MCU issues so I'm going to give him benefit of the doubt.  Here's hoping we get some optimistic non-murderous heroism and get the new DC universe going in the right direction!