DVD Release Plans For Dragon Dynasty & Media Blasters

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Do we know how many titles both distributors plan to release each year and how many years total? Obviously MB would release their 10 titles in a lot less time than DD with their 46 remaining ones. Perhaps MB will release within a two year term? Also, is there a set quantity within the DD Tarantino Presents product line and how frequently will this run each year?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as I know, MB have plans to release one SB DVD a month once the ball gets rolling. When that will be? I would guess, and only a guess, sometime the first half of next year. As for DD, I'm not sure. I know they think they have too many Shaw films actually. Considering the amount of titles they have besides Shaw Brothers, it's a question of if they will release all 46 titles. Sorry to say, but my educated guess is not.

I contacted Dragon Dynasty asking about the upcoming releases. Below is a summary in my own words of the response I received:

1. They are still working on the future releases and are not certain if they will release 4 at at time as this might be to much to release at one time.

2. Chinese Professionals is not on their release schedule.

3. They will issue more releases if these do well.

4. Wherever any alternate or deleted footage exists they will include it.

i don,t see how DD thinks they have to many shaws. in my opinion they haven,t got enough. they should be releaseing every english dub shaw that exist. they all don,t have to be done with all the bells and whistles -just get them out there. afterall just look at all the crap out there that gets remastered and released--go to any upcoming dvd site and look at all the old no name movies being dugup for these future grindhouse type tittles. just about every old movie genre is getting resurected and cleaned up except kungfu movies. they must think that somebodys going to buy them. afterall every shaw tittle doesn,t need the royal treatment- i,d be satisfied if they just cleaned them up and got them on the open market. to be truthful when i see all these low budget horror and action flicks being dugup for all these grindhouse releases i,m really surprised that they seem to have totally overlooked the martial arts rage of the 70s. anyway i thought that one of the reasons that DD was started was to help get the shaws released into north america. i just cannot see fans not buying remastered english dub shaws . but thats just me- i want them all.:rollin :rollin

One Armed Boxer. They had it as a trailer on one of their Shaw dvds and it confused fans. Point to be made here, just because they had an old trailer, doesn't mean it's a title they are carrying.

Guest venomchamber

ONE-ARMED BOXER aka CHINESE PROFESSIONALS is not a Shaw Brothers film.

It was made by Golden Harvest and would be released thru their Fortune Star imprint.

right. The point I was making is that the trailer was on a Dragon Dynasty DVD and fans thought that it would be a DD release because of that. Actually, I know the company who are in talks to release it. Hopefully, we'll hear some more info about that, and other GH releases in the US in the next few months.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
As for DD, I'm not sure. I know they think they have too many Shaw films actually. Considering the amount of titles they have besides Shaw Brothers, it's a question of if they will release all 46 titles. Sorry to say, but my educated guess is not.

It seems they let their own greed dominate their decisions. DD should have only acquired 10 or 20 titles at first, to gauge sales. That would have left a larger number for other niche distributors to choose from. If your guess is right, we'll end up with several titles collecting dust. And I doubt DD would part with any of their acquisitions.

they would drop the films for the return. Remember, Disney paid for those, so any films not released, is extra money back in their pocket. As for greed, I don't think it's really that simple. They got the rights a few years ago now, when they had very little (compared to now) as far as recent HK films. Now that they have a label, with lots of new Asian films flooding in every day, I can understand the move from a business stand point ie fans can't buy four or five releases a month.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
3. They will issue more releases if these do well.

Does anyone know how profitable the first 4 releases have become? I thought they had done quite well since their June release.

Guest waywardsage

I don't think people should complain too much. DD makes some amazing DVD's. For us Martial arts fans, the existance of DD and Bey Logan as captain of the ship is a dream come true.

I'm worried weather or not DD has folded. They haven't updated their site in ages.

Guest oldeschool17

i think its a lil premature to think they have folded although you are right, they have yet to update their releases in awhile

Archived